Doing online college courses to relieve stress of listening; Does it help?

DOING IT RIGHT

Reaction score
I am planning to make my jump back into college after a 2 year layoff due to stress taking a profound toll on me. I remember the worst part about college was that everything was all about listening. I wear 2 hearing aids and read lips, but usually only get about 50% or less of what a person says in a typical conversation, and have to make assumptions to fill in the missing gap of what I didnt hear. Most of the time, I stood out to be a severe fool for guessing the other <50% of what somebody said.
To make a very long story short, I want to move to the Dominican Republic and attend online college courses while living in the DR. Why I want to move to the DR, is that I discovered that there is much less stress being deaf and much less of a language barrier.
Those of you with experience on taking online college courses, how did it turn out to be for you as far as being deaf?
You didnt have to hear or use the phone did you?
Please share experiences and advices as far as getting a college degree online.
Thanks.

I certainly prefer on-line courses to attending classes, even though I speech read. You're right; the few post graduate live classes I took, even though the group was smaller, were stressful and exhausting.

I've been hired to put together an on-line learn-and-submit English class at our community college, and I'm excited at the prospect. There will be no telephone contact, and any face-to-face the student wants will be one-to-one by appointment at the college library.

I know some deaf students who have had great success with on-line college courses. It depends on the self-motivation and organizational skills of the student, the quality of the curriculum, and the subject being studied.

Oh, yeah, and a good internet connection. :P

I agree with Reba and Chase. On line classes are a good alternative to the traditional classroom, if you are motivated.

The only down side about online classes is, you got to be able to teach yourself the material and keep up with assignments.

If, indeed, it's really a downside. Formal classrooms have always been valuable learning tools, but the list of self-taught geniuses is long. The list of self-taught sucessess is even longer.

It would depend on the courses being offered. Some classes are best taught in person and some can be taught as well as online.

I've taken several online courses in the past. I've only withdrawn from one online course because I wasn't familiar with the material before taking the class. I retook the class in person and did well. The other online courses I took were fine since I had some background knowledge on the subject.

Back