Dog's dinners prove popular in Nigeria

Liebling:-)))

Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dog's dinners prove popular in Nigeria

The famous reverse news headline "Man bites dog!" is old news to some restaurants in Nigeria's capital, Abuja.

"Welcome to animal kingdom where man pikin dey show dog pepper," says Chibuzo Eze in Pidgin English, meaning: Welcome to place where the son of man is giving dogs a hard time.

Mr Eze then hungrily gets back to tugging his chunk of dog meat.

He is standing under a mango tree in "South Africa", the name of an open-air restaurant hidden behind the living quarters of a Western construction firm in Abuja.

"It is called South Africa because behind those high walls you'll find rich Europeans and outside here is Soweto, where we, ordinary masses, struggle with dog meat," Mr Eze explains with a smile playing on his face.

'Improves your sex life'

Mr Eze says he eats dog meat because "e dey protect person from all those nyama-nyama disease them" - it gives you immunity from different diseases.

A DOG MEAT EATER'S GUIDE

404: A dog is also called 404 after the French-built Peugeot pick-up van, a tribute to a dog's ability to run fast
Headlights: A dish with the eyes of a dog as the most prominent component
Gear Box: Dog's liver, heart and kidneys (usually more expensive that the ordinary meat)
Tyre: A dog's legs. Mr Umoh claims that eating a 'tyre' makes you a fast runner
Sentencing: The act of clubbing a dog to death rather than slaughtering it

A few yards away Bassey Umoh, South Africa's owner and chief chef, pokes at larger chunks of sizzling meat barbecuing on wire gauze over an open fire.

Mr Umoh, or Oga Bassey (oga is Pidgin English for boss) - as the "South Africans" fondly call him, says he has been selling dog meat since he completed a two-year apprenticeship in the business some 30 years ago.

He also eats the meat he sells.

"Eating dog meat gives you a special protection against the most potent juju (charm)," he claims, reeling off the benefits of dog meat.

"Dog meat also improves your sex life. And if you eat dog meat, you cannot be poisoned."

Oga Bassey, however, says that despite the huge demand for his cuisine, his business is not doing very well because dogs are becoming scarce now in Abuja.

"Everybody is eating dog meat openly now, that is why dogs are scarce," he says.

Easy target

Many Abuja dog owners complain that their dogs have gone missing, probably ending up in the likes of Oga Bassey's big dog pepper soup pot.

Eaters of dog meat claim there are many benefits

Most Nigerians keep dogs not as pets, but as guard dogs.

And instead of keeping them in kennels, the dogs are usually left to wander about freely, making them an easy target for people to kidnap and sell to restaurant owners like Mr Umoh.

But Mr Umoh says he does not buy stolen dogs. He, however, admits that it is often difficult to tell whether some of the dogs sold to him have been stolen.

"We have heard of people stealing dogs to sell. Our policy here in 'South Africa' is that we do not deal in stolen merchandise. So, we normally quiz our customers to be sure they are selling their own dogs," he explains.

"Moreover, 'South Africa' is not the only dog-meat joint in Abuja," Mr Umoh adds.

Indeed, there are three popular dog meat joints in this district on the western edge of Abuja alone.

Also as a rule, there is always a dog-meat pepper soup joint in every army or police barracks in Abuja.

Oh la la! You don't know what you are missing

Beke Nnkwo
Dog-meat lover

Nigeria's riot police seem to have a thing for dog meat too as a popular dog-meat joint called Obalende sits in the middle of their barracks in Nyanya, another Abuja suburb.

Another popular dog-meat spot is "Zimbabwe", an open-air joint next to a small river on the outskirts of Abuja.

Unlike "South Africa", "Zimbabwe" is, however, notorious for its gamblers, pick-pockets, prostitutes and bootlegged spirits.

Culture

Another dog-meat eater, Beke Nnkwo says he was introduced to the cuisine as a cure for malaria.

"People who eat dog meat have no business with malaria," Mr Nnkwo says. "So, I was introduced to the meat as a cure for malaria and I can testify that it works."

Mr Nnkwo, an Igbo from south-eastern Nigeria, says eating dog meat is a question of culture.

"I hear they eat frogs in certain parts of the world. But I tell you, no matter how you cook or dress a frog, I can never eat it.

"But dog is different. So, eating dog meat is a question of culture for me."

Dog meat is also eaten in Plateau and Gombe states in the north and it is becoming quite popular in other parts of the country including Kaduna and Adamawa with Abuja as the newest entrant.

Asked how tasty the meat is, Mr Nnkwo beams and says: "Oh la la! You don't know what you are missing."

BBC NEWS | Africa | Dog's dinners prove popular in Nigeria

Asked how tasty the meat is, Mr Nnkwo beams and says: "Oh la la! You don't know what you are missing."

NO WAY :cold: I can't image to taste dog's meat... :cold:

..ummm....this sure does sound disgusting. I sure would not like to see this spreading to other places and countries...this doesn't sound good at all. All pet dogs' owners, be warned--keep a good tight leash on your pet. ;)

Also, it has to be downright pathetic to even know that dogs are being stolen as well...for a few bucks or what.

In a way, I kind of knew something like this could be happening somewhere in the world, now seeing that there are a few places catering to the delicacy and whatnots, simply because they're liking it and attribute to eating such and as it was being eaten brings some cure or remedy for certain ailments.

~RR

I think it is a bit harsh of you guys to judge people for eating dogs. After all, in India, they will NEVER eat cows, because they are considered to be quite sacred. Maybe they think we are disgusting for eating cows. Open your mind a bit to other perspectives, won't ya?

Sick it may be to us, but we eat cows and in india cows are holy. Etc. In the eye of the beholder...

We think of them as pets other people think of them as dishes. I personally dont think i could stomach eating a dog. Then again, when I look at a cow, I don't think I could stomach eating a cow either... But when you see a piece of meat. It's just.... food. So yeah.

Yes, I agreed with Dark-Half

I think it is a bit harsh of you guys to judge people for eating dogs. After all, in India, they will NEVER eat cows, because they are considered to be quite sacred. Maybe they think we are disgusting for eating cows. Open your mind a bit to other perspectives, won't ya?

I would consider judgement when you label the people as terrible people, murder, cruel, etc. but I didn't see anything where have we judge the people for eating dogs here but :barf: and can't image to eat dogs... that's all. It's normal for the people to say like this because we see dogs, cats, rats as pet what they don't.

I did said in some threads that I :barf: and can't image to eat cute face deer. It's normal to say like this because I can't image to eat cute face deer and rabbit... Of course I disgusit when my hubby told me that he ate crocs. and snake when he was in Thailand.

Yes I aware that East Indian don't eat cow but I have no problem for them to digusit of us eating cow. I can understand it's their nature to say like this. That's way how they raised to know the cow is value as God that they should not eat.

I have a HOH muslim share one table with me at Spa... He don't eat pork and can't image how I eat pork and remind me what God think of this. I do not upset by his reaction but accept his talk. I can understand where he come from. Of course I asked him why he don't eat pork. He explained that pigs are not clean. Accord the bible, God don't like to see people to eat pigs. He said that he feel guilty for eat pork and image what God react when he see him eating pork. I told him that I eat pork all my life but God didn't say anything. :dunno:

I thought this thread is interesting for anyone to know what kind of culture, they eat like this what we don't. It doesn't mean that we judge their culture but show what they think of eating dog meats... because I often heard somewhere in Asia that they prefer to eat dogs and cats because their taste are super. To us... :cold:

I thought this thread is interesting for anyone to know what kind of culture, they eat like this what we don't. It doesn't mean that we judge their culture but show what they think of eating dog meats... because I often heard somewhere in Asia that they prefer to eat dogs and cats because their taste are super. To us... :cold:

[/COLOR]

Actually, to me its not so disgusting. I understand it is a different point of view. if I ever go to Asia and someone offers me some dog to eat, I would try it. I think it is such a shame that people focus too much on saying it is gross to a point that it hinders their culinary adventures. But whatever rocks their boats, so be it.

Dont forget that in some countries in Asia also eat dogs too...its part of their culture. They think dogs as food. People here in USA eat deer, buffalo, ducks, rabbits, etc which is thought of food too.

The only thing that would make me sick if people eat animal's brains. Ive heard they do that in Korea and Im sure in other countries too. :barf:

Actually, to me its not so disgusting. I understand it is a different point of view. if I ever go to Asia and someone offers me some dog to eat, I would try it. I think it is such a shame that people focus too much on saying it is gross to a point that it hinders their culinary adventures. But whatever rocks their boats, so be it.

:pissed: DONT EVER TRY IT! :pissed:

umm... I know the french eat cow's brains... and frog's legs...

I can't imagine eating dog meat... I love dogs WAY too much to even condone killing a dog for meat... And after reading the post, I felt SO sick to my stomach...

But I can understand how different cultures would view some of our eating habits, and we'll view theirs.. everyone has a different way of life... I'm not gonna judge that country for their beliefs.

Since I am vegetarian, I can judge people for eating dogs. Sickening!!! I knew thailand and China people eat dogs but not Nigeria. I hope that they will soon realized that eating dogs doesn't protect them from malaria, etc.

Well... Also England and France people who like eating the Horse's meat too :(

And... Japanese people eat cats. ;)

Back