Dogmom's Husband is CyberMike

CyberMike

Reaction score
Greetings!

My name is Mike, and I am dogmom's husband. I have heard dogmom relate to me many of the things that have been discussed and things she has learned here. We have no children, but we have our dogs, and I have my hobbies: RC aviation, electronics, keyboard/guitar, photography.

I was born to a 16 yr old girl who had German measles (rubella) during pregnancy. As a result I have a classic 'cookie bite' hearing loss, and I have an undeveloped right optic nerve. This gives me low vision in my right eye, which has a 'droopy' lid, but I have full color vision in both eyes, and my left eye is fine. What I do not have is stereo vision, and I have very limited depth perception. So how the hell can I fly radio controlled models? I've had this my whole life, and I have been able to develop insane cognitive processes to compensate. Also, I fly giant scale models. They're easier to see when they're big!

I have lived my entire life as a hearing person, and still do today with the help of hearing aids (GN Resound Canta7 Power BTE model 780D). I have always told other hearing people that I am 'half deaf' which specifically refers to my hearing loss, as opposed to cultural inclination. Many of the longer threads that dogmom has told me about over our breakfast, or while driving somewhere together, seem to be about the divide between the Hearing and the Deaf world. There seems to be a quest for bridging that divide, and many victims/heroes, successes/failures along the way. I see the fact that I am here as part of the answer to this because this forum, and the folks in the Deaf community have now increased awareness of its existence by one more 'hearing' person.

Dogmom and I are married and live together with our dogs. I am the quintessential geek. I am analytical to a fault as I am an engineer by trade and at heart. I am exceedingly literal, technical and detailed.

English is the only human language (I am a computer programmer, hence the clarification) I know. Recently, I started attending a very (think: pre-school-ish level) ASL class with dogmom. There are a number of reasons I committed to this, though it was done quite capriciously. First, it's part of my relationship to dogmom. She's made some significant overtures to me at great expense to herself in the past. Foremost among these is that dogmom (without me doing anything, really) took it upon herself to earn a technician class HAM radio license (I am general class KB9KEJ). So, I figure I will venture into one of her interests - the Deaf world, its people, and its language. I am curious about language as a tool for communication. I like to learn how things work. Lastly, I foresee a day when one or both us will not be able to hear well enough to easily communicate verbally. We will probably need pen/paper, but it would also be nice to have something more convenient. ASL may fill that gap, though I have no delusions about learning it well enough to convey everything I am thinking. The instructors did explain that learning ASL is more difficult than learning Chinese or Hebrew or Japanese - and I don't know any of those, either!

In ASL class, I feel like a helpless infant. It truly is humbling to have only the ability to recite the alphabet and count to 20 VERY slowly. Last session we learned to sign some colors and describe people by appearance and clothing in very basic ways.

I enjoy anything that consumes electricity, executes computer code, or burns fuel - especially anything that flies. I am adept at electronics, mechanics, and basic physics/chemistry. With what hearing I have, I have perfect pitch, and a very good musical ear. I don't consider myself a musician, per se, but I have innate musical ability. I was told by my adoptive parents (I was adopted as an infant) that the girl who gave birth to me was(is?) an aspiring musician. I have an audiologist who is a research scientist and comes to my home or office. I have known him on an off for years (he spent some time out of the audiology business to do pure research). I am well-versed in acoustic physics, electronic audio circuit design, DSP technology, audio synthesis, human physiology, and perceptive cognition.

I look forward to sharing experiences and learning together with all of you. Also, I think I should find out what dogmom has been saying about me! ;-)

- CyberMike

:welcome:

Thank you for sharing your story with us.

It tickles my heart to read from you and Dogmom how you are taking this ASL journey together.

As a hearing person who learned ASL as an adult, and has observed other ASL classes as an interpreter, let me tell you that there is nothing "pre-school" about ASL classes. If they are taught correctly, they are actually following the natural pattern for language acquisition. It may seem simplistic but it's the best method for learning ASL. The focus is on concepts and real-life conversational environments.

My Hubby is hearing, and we did much of our early ASL learning together. We had a great time. :)

It's cool to finally meet you. :wave:

welcome aboard! always cool to see more and more AD couples here! :wave:

Hi Mike. Dogmom has already prepped us so of course you are already popular here.

I knew I we would be friends when I noticed your avatar as a robot on some photography site dogmom put up to show pictures of the dogs. :wave:

:welcome:

Thank you for sharing your story with us.

It tickles my heart to read from you and Dogmom how you are taking this ASL journey together.

As a hearing person who learned ASL as an adult, and has observed other ASL classes as an interpreter, let me tell you that there is nothing "pre-school" about ASL classes. If they are taught correctly, they are actually following the natural pattern for language acquisition. It may seem simplistic but it's the best method for learning ASL. The focus is on concepts and real-life conversational environments.

My Hubby is hearing, and we did much of our early ASL learning together. We had a great time. :)

It's cool to finally meet you. :wave:

Thanks. The thing is, I have no idea how a person learns a human (not computer) language! I only ever learned one, and I have no recollection of how that went! I will say that I was in college before I learned what a 'participle' is. I believe that to be a failure of the school system I attended and/or the fact that I spent my first 29 years of life hearing only about 50% of what was said to me.

The point is I have no idea how to learn a human language. None. I can teach people to spell English, and I can proofread better than anyone I've ever met. I can teach people to pronounce English with the 'American Radio Announcer' mid-western USA accent, but I have no idea how one learns to transfer thought to a given medium. For me, it's an extremely strong ability, but I developed it long ago without actually using any formal structure or terminology. It's like sitting down in front of a piano, and just being able play without trying. When someone asks you to teach them piano, or you try to learn to play the flute, you have no idea how to go about it.

sound hear news wow impressive story

welcome to alldeaf :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you enjoy reading and posting here. It is nice to have you as Hard Of Hearing (HOH) husband of Dogmom. Just have fun here. :wave:

Thanks. The thing is, I have no idea how a person learns a human (not computer) language!
:hmm: Well, sign language isn't binary but fingerspelling is digital. :lol:

I only ever learned one, and I have no recollection of how that went! I will say that I was in college before I learned what a 'participle' is. I believe that to be a failure of the school system I attended and/or the fact that I spent my first 29 years of life hearing only about 50% of what was said to me.
You're not alone in that experience of inadequate school systems. Many others at AD can attest to that.

So, life goes on beyond "participle." :)

ASL grammar is not the same as English. No diagramming of sentences involved. If you're really interested, this book explains it:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/American-Language-Teachers-Resource-Grammar/dp/093032384X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384632287&sr=8-1&keywords=asl+green+books+grammar]American Sign Language Green Books, A Teacher's Resource Text on Grammar and Culture (Green Book Series): Charlotte Baker-Shenk, Dennis Cokely: 9780930323844: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

It's titled teachers resource but it's what we students used as a text book. (It's not necessary to get the book but useful.)

The point is I have no idea how to learn a human language. None.
Maybe you don't know the process but you obviously have acquired the function of language, quite well.

I can teach people to spell English, and I can proofread better than anyone I've ever met. I can teach people to pronounce English with the 'American Radio Announcer' mid-western USA accent, but I have no idea how one learns to transfer thought to a given medium. For me, it's an extremely strong ability, but I developed it long ago without actually using any formal structure or terminology. It's like sitting down in front of a piano, and just being able play without trying. When someone asks you to teach them piano, or you try to learn to play the flute, you have no idea how to go about it.
Don't over-think it. You might surprise yourself with ASL.

Regardless, even if you never become an ASL master, you will enrich your life and your relationship with Dogmom by as much as you do learn. Just making the honest attempt and participating in the activities is much appreciated.

You do realize you're talking to an engineer? :rofl:
Yes, I do. :) My dad was one, and I have other family members in related areas. That's why I knew your tendency. :lol:

I too, am an over-thinker, so I understand the issue. Easier said than done.

Greetings!

My name is Mike, and I am dogmom's husband. I have heard dogmom relate to me many of the things that have been discussed and things she has learned here. We have no children, but we have our dogs, and I have my hobbies: RC aviation, electronics, keyboard/guitar, photography.

I was born to a 16 yr old girl who had German measles (rubella) during pregnancy. As a result I have a classic 'cookie bite' hearing loss, and I have an undeveloped right optic nerve. This gives me low vision in my right eye, which has a 'droopy' lid, but I have full color vision in both eyes, and my left eye is fine. What I do not have is stereo vision, and I have very limited depth perception. So how the hell can I fly radio controlled models? I've had this my whole life, and I have been able to develop insane cognitive processes to compensate. Also, I fly giant scale models. They're easier to see when they're big!

I have lived my entire life as a hearing person, and still do today with the help of hearing aids (GN Resound Canta7 Power BTE model 780D). I have always told other hearing people that I am 'half deaf' which specifically refers to my hearing loss, as opposed to cultural inclination. Many of the longer threads that dogmom has told me about over our breakfast, or while driving somewhere together, seem to be about the divide between the Hearing and the Deaf world. There seems to be a quest for bridging that divide, and many victims/heroes, successes/failures along the way. I see the fact that I am here as part of the answer to this because this forum, and the folks in the Deaf community have now increased awareness of its existence by one more 'hearing' person.

Dogmom and I are married and live together with our dogs. I am the quintessential geek. I am analytical to a fault as I am an engineer by trade and at heart. I am exceedingly literal, technical and detailed.

English is the only human language (I am a computer programmer, hence the clarification) I know. Recently, I started attending a very (think: pre-school-ish level) ASL class with dogmom. There are a number of reasons I committed to this, though it was done quite capriciously. First, it's part of my relationship to dogmom. She's made some significant overtures to me at great expense to herself in the past. Foremost among these is that dogmom (without me doing anything, really) took it upon herself to earn a technician class HAM radio license (I am general class KB9KEJ). So, I figure I will venture into one of her interests - the Deaf world, its people, and its language. I am curious about language as a tool for communication. I like to learn how things work. Lastly, I foresee a day when one or both us will not be able to hear well enough to easily communicate verbally. We will probably need pen/paper, but it would also be nice to have something more convenient. ASL may fill that gap, though I have no delusions about learning it well enough to convey everything I am thinking. The instructors did explain that learning ASL is more difficult than learning Chinese or Hebrew or Japanese - and I don't know any of those, either!

In ASL class, I feel like a helpless infant. It truly is humbling to have only the ability to recite the alphabet and count to 20 VERY slowly. Last session we learned to sign some colors and describe people by appearance and clothing in very basic ways.

I enjoy anything that consumes electricity, executes computer code, or burns fuel - especially anything that flies. I am adept at electronics, mechanics, and basic physics/chemistry. With what hearing I have, I have perfect pitch, and a very good musical ear. I don't consider myself a musician, per se, but I have innate musical ability. I was told by my adoptive parents (I was adopted as an infant) that the girl who gave birth to me was(is?) an aspiring musician. I have an audiologist who is a research scientist and comes to my home or office. I have known him on an off for years (he spent some time out of the audiology business to do pure research). I am well-versed in acoustic physics, electronic audio circuit design, DSP technology, audio synthesis, human physiology, and perceptive cognition.

I look forward to sharing experiences and learning together with all of you. Also, I think I should find out what dogmom has been saying about me! ;-)

- CyberMike

I found Hebrew harder than ASL to learn. My parents send me to Hebrew or Hebrew school and I only lasted 2 classes. I should had been put in a beginner class but I was a class where the other students already knew Hebrew . Dogmom talk very highly of you. I know a few people that have no kids but the do have pets. I think this more common today.

- CyberMike

There's a search feature that could help you out with that. ;) Welcome to the forum.

Laura

Back