Dog Taken From Deaf Woman

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
Dog Taken From Deaf Woman

An assisted living facility owner stole a deaf resident's service dog and told her it died, deputies said Tuesday.

Geoffrey W. Kinne, owner of the McIntosh Manor Assisted Living Facility, didn't want the animal in the building. So he sneaked into Joan B. Gurland's room one night in November and took the dog, Sarasota Sheriff's Office reports say.

Gurland, 64, had owned the dog for 12 years and originally paid $2,000 for it.

Kinne tried to take the dog to the Sarasota County Humane Society, but they said Kinne didn't have the proper paperwork, reports say.

Kinne tied the dog to the back door of a home he owns on Antilles Drive and left it without food or water. A friend staying there didn't want the dog, Sgt. John Walsh said.

Kinne filled out paperwork from the Humane Society using a fake name and took the dog back, sheriff's reports say. The Humane Society found someone to adopt it.

When Kinne learned he was being investigated by the sheriff's office, he tried to get the dog back, but its new owner refused to give it up.

Kinne, 64, was arrested Tuesday and charged with forgery, burglary and grand theft with a victim 65 years and older, all felonies. He also was charged with misdemeanor confinement/abandonment of an animal.

By the time the arrest was made, the woman's dog had been euthanized by the Humane Society because of liver failure.

That is horrible! Why would he do that? Look at the pain he caused, and the mess he made. Why didn't the humane society raise a flag when they saw that dog again with someone else? How come they didn't dig deeper to find out if he really was the owner? I believe that man should be charged with cruelity as well!!:pissed:

Stupid and ignorant people like that are a pain in the ass for me cuz they do nothing but cause problems for deaf people. This guy wasnt thinking of the deaf lady's needs but rather his own. I am so glad he got busted! Iam saying a lot of swear words about this pathetic human being.

Oh my goodness. what an idiot did this to this woman. Poor dog went thru suffer too.

There are some truly pathetic people in this world and he is one of them. I hope he gets what he deserves and that the judge throws the book at him.

Oh Man.... I hope that son of a bitch gets what he deserves... Gosh, I hope that lady gets another dog... ANyone know? -- R.

Back