Dog Drags Newborn From Crib

Newborns and family pets don't mix. I spent the first year protecting the baby from the dog, then a couple of years protecting the dog from the baby. It all works out. Child and dog are good friends now.

While this is usually the case, I am proud to say that when I was first born, my dog was very tolerant of me. I was told that I used to crawl all over that poor thing and she'd just let me do it. Then afterwards, we'd end up napping together (have lots of pictures of that :)). While you still have to be careful with dogs and young children, probably one of the better dog breeds to have near infants are bassets. :)

But you must keep in mind that no certain breed is 'safe' all breeds and mixes can become aggressive without much warning, especially if there are 'jealousy' issues between the dog and the new baby. The dog must learn before the baby arrives that he is the follower not the leader. When the priorities are mixed up, that's when problems occur. If you're not willing to prioritize the dog to the bottom of the 'pack' then you have pets that snap and claw at the baby because they see the baby as competition for attention. If this isn't brought under control, you have two options. One is, bring in a professional trainer to help you control the dog and establish and reinforce the pack order, or two you must surrender your dog or cat to animal rescues or shelters. This is definitely something all couples should bring up when discussing having children. If it is discussed beforehand and everyone is on the same page, the chances of success increase.

NEVER leave a baby unsupervised when a dog is in the same room. EVER!

Back