Dog Dies After Being Set On Fire

I agree with you but only to a certain extent, in my opinion not all pitbulls are vicious. But whether the pitbull attacked or not, it should not of had to suffer such a horrifying & cruel death.

As for the last sentence of your post, I think that partly has to do with the way "rotties" and pit bulls are bred. If they are bred in a particular way, certain negative traits will be emphasized over positive traits and vice-versa. Unfortunately, I can't comment any further than that since I'm not a dog breeder. :)

I think would-be "rottie" or pit bull owners should be expected to sign a statement from a breeder indicating that they fully understand and accept the implications of owning either breed and will take full responsibility should serious injury or worse occur. Perhaps this would help cut down on the number of pet owners who let their dogs behave aggressively and/or run loose without supervision.

Exactly. The two breeds metioned were bred as attack dogs (rotts) and fighting dogs (pits). They have intentionally bred into these dogs agressive charactersitics, and bred out the docile charactersitics. Training cannot completely overcome that.

Our humane society here our mascot was also set on fire it's absoultly horrible that someone would do that to a dog. and i'm sorry rockdrummer but pits are only vicious when bred or trained to be. pits can be very nice pets if trained and bred correctly and for the right traits. it's the same with rotts

No No No! It is not the breed,it is how they are raised. They have to be socialized like any animal.Dogs are pack animals.They will try to find their rank in a pack .Anything smaller weaker or afraid will be felt by the animal. I have had a staffordshire( by the way after carefully watching her and making sure she wasnt a problem she was totally great with my son when he was small) and now an american pitbull.The only difference in this breed is they do have a muscle in the cheek area that locks when it clamps down so Ok Yes that is scary. I took my dog for a walk around the block friday night and had 2 dogs try to fight her, not the other way around. One was a golden retriever and the other a german shepard.Mind you, mines on a leash and theirs are loose. I'm screaming bloody murder to come get your damn dog! F.Y.I Petey on the Little Rascals was a pitbull. I think you just hear of their attacks more and unfortunately idiots use them for fighting!Those little yap yap dogs will bite you much quicker mean little things.

SPEAK ENGLISH! Sheesh, just because you're possibly more deaf than I am, do you have to make us all look like idiots that can't make sense of a sentence???

I think she was trying to say to rescue the dog (from maybe a burning house) before ( house burns down and ) the dog dies.

Hows that for my translation of the 'Aslingish' here?

Richard

SPEAK ENGLISH! Sheesh, just because you're possibly more deaf than I am, do you have to make us all look like idiots that can't make sense of a sentence???

dont insult at me like that! im deaf

I think she's trying to say that maybe someone was trying to rescue the dog from a burning house but it died anyways.

?????
Just a thought.

With all due respect Pek1, You've been around here long enough to know that many deaf have problems with the written language. For many deaf, English is a foreign language. Some learn English easily. Many don't. Spoken language isn't easily accessible to those of us who were born with a severe to profound loss or became deaf early in life.

It's usually only the ignorant who would say such a thing.

It's considered very rude to constantly correct a deaf person's English. If a poster constantly criticizes or make fun of a deaf person English skill, I'd consider that person a troll.

You should know better.

I agree with you but only to a certain extent, in my opinion not all pitbulls are vicious. But whether the pitbull attacked or not, it should not of had to suffer such a horrifying & cruel death.
I think there is physical evidence of an enzyme in those dogs not found in others that makes them become violent. I'll do some searching and see if I can find information to support that claim. I have heard it several times from different sources so I do believe it's true. But I do agree with you that no animal should be tortured that way.

Brentwood man confesses to setting dog on fire

UPDATE

A Brentwood man confessed to soaking his pit bull with gasoline and setting the dog on fire, and said he did so because it was too aggressive toward his family, Suffolk County officials said at a Tuesday news conference.

The dog, named Maximus by the emergency veterinarians who tried to save it, was found tied to a tree burned over 60 percent of its body.

Derick Phanord, 22, of 156 Cocoanut St. in Brentwood, was arrested at 11:30 p.m. Monday after the Suffolk police got a tip that he was the dog's killer, police Commissioner Richard Dormer said.

"You wonder what kind of depravity is within one's mind," county Executive Steve Levy said.

When he heard of the dog's agonizing death last week, Levy said, "It actually turned my stomach."

The department put out an alert for Phanord's vehicle and a gang unit officer spotted him, Dormer said.

Phanord was arrested for driving with a suspended license and when detectives interviewed him he admitted first pouring chlorine bleach on the dog, then taking it to woods 1 1/2 miles from his Brentwood house where he poured gasoline on it from a red plastic container and set it on fire, the police said.

There the dog remained, tied to a tree, possibly for two days of suffering before he was found, said Chief Roy Gross of the Suffolk Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, who also spoke at Levy's news conference in Hauppauge. Levy said he will revamp the way the county police monitor animal abuse.

One detective in each precincts will develop a part-time specialty in investigating animal cruelty, Levy said.

Also, Levy plans to lobby the state Legislature for an amendment to Buster's Law, which now provides a maximum penalty of two years in prison for aggravated cruelty to animals. Levy wants to increase potential penalty to a five-year maximum prison term.

Levy also wants to establish a permanent reward fund aimed at encouraging confidential animal cruelty tips to the Crime Stoppers hotline. And he wants detective squads to work more closely with the SPCA.

Dormer said media coverage of the pit bull's death generated numerous tips that led the police to target Phanord. Once in custody Phanord confirmed that he was the owner of the pit bull, and said he had gotten the dog as a gift two months ago, Dormer said. He justified his actions by saying the dog it acted aggressively toward his family and a younger dog he owned, Dormer said.

County officials on Tuesday had on display the red plastic gasoline container that Phanord allegedly brought with him when he immolated the dog.

Phanord was scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday at First District Court in Central Islip after spending the night in the Third Precinct lockup. He is also charged with criminal possession of a weapon, a bludgeon -- a billy club -- found when his car was stopped.

The dog, named Maximus by emergency veterinarians, was found July 12 with second- and third-degree burns over 60 percent of his body.

The Suffolk Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals last week said a reward had increased to $20,000 for information leading to whoever killed Maximus.

The dog smelled of gasoline when found with severe burns on the face and ears, wounds to its upper palate and teeth loss, the SPCA said.

Maximus died last Tuesday despite undergoing three surgeries and other veterinary care.

The 2-year-old, approximately 55-pound male dog was discovered on a right-of-way near Sycamore and Apple streets. Gross said that the SPCA got an overwhelming response of calls from people who were "disgusted" that a human would treat an animal this way. The dog was in good condition and was well fed before it was set afire, Gross said.

The dog was good-natured to the end, said Reed Zaroff of the Veterinary Medical Center of Long Island, one of the veterinarians who tried to save him. "He was a good dog up until the very end ... giving licks and kisses."

I'm a vet tech and that's soo harsh but glad the killer got caught.. Maximus didn't deserve the "death sentence" just because he was aggressive. There's a pit bull rescue place where they train and helps improve their behaviors. I'm not that crazy over pit bulls.. not exactly my favorite but I'm an animal lover! Its like burning a 2 year old toddler... same idea. sigh....

""You wonder what kind of depravity is within one's mind," county Executive Steve Levy said."

I think that statement says it all.

I'm also glad the killer was found and charged. Nothing justifies treating an animal in such a cruel and inhumane way -- nothing.

What also brought me to tears was the following: "He was a good dog up until the very end ... giving licks and kisses."

All I can say is...how sad. :(

I'm no fan of pit bulls but I agree with Steve Levy. It also makes you wonder if he's capable of being brutal toward other people.

Jeez, that was mean. If "The Old Rugged Cross Made the Difference", I wonder why you're not bearing more spiritual fruit like Paul said.

Wouldn't it have been adequate to just ask for a clarification? I understood most of what she was saying.

Calphool,

I agree with what you said. I was filled in by a friend regarding my comment and why Sara wrote it as such. I apologize for my comment.

I'm no fan of pit bulls but I agree with Steve Levy. It also makes you wonder if he's capable of being brutal toward other people.

Yes, there is. It's been well known that some serial killers start by torturing animals before they move on to human victims.

I have found through personal experience that Violent people are often violent with their animals and with the children/partners too. For example I know a woman who used to stab her children with cigarates and she also throw her son's repitiles out of his window. :pissed:

The moronic person who tortured that poor dog, may they be cursed and held accountable for that for the rest of their rotten miserable life.

Last edited:
I can't believe that anyone could be that cruel to set that poor dog on fire!

Not every pitbull dog is bad! I seen so many pitbulls around here in Seattle. They're very sweet and loveable. They were around the kids and licked them to show that they loves kids. I even peted them and few of them licked my hands and face! That is really fucked up that anyone STEROTYPE pitbulls as bad dogs! It isn't their fault, it is the OWNERS!!!!!! They abuse pitbulls!

Believe it or not, I have seen Golden Retriever (anyone sterotype golden retriever as sweetest dog) being very mean and hurt people before. Why? That is because the owner abused that dog! Also many people thinks that German Shepard dogs are mean nazi dogs. That is not true, they're very sweet and softhearted dogs. Only reason why they're being mean because of the cops trained them to be mean to criminals.

My opinion, that any owner who abuses any breed of dog that hurts people should go to jail for it. If their dogs kill anyone... They should face to death sentence. Last thing, anyone who abuses dogs or animals should go to jail for that. Anyone who kill dogs should face death sentence too. Fair is fair!

Agree with MetroGuy03!!!

When I read the news, I made tear of my eyes... Why put that poor pitbull on the fire just for aggresstive?! :pissed:

Those people who think pitbull are always dangerous is totally bullshit!

My neighbor have two pitbulls and they don't have the fence, and the dogs never attack us. One time I walk to my house, one of their pitbull dog which look so stronger, more muscle and black, he walk toward to me and smell around my leg, I was not scare, I pet him, he put his head down frownly. I continue petting him peacefully and then turn around walk to my home, then that dog just walk back to his home.

Why did that dog do that? It's natural for pitbull dogs to research its neighbors and took the guard around his surrondings. So I am under his guard now!

One time I saw that same dog near to my cat, but he didn't attack my cat at all because I guess he know where my cat is belong to.

Pitbull are not dumb meanie dogs, they are just very dangerous/friendly/playful/guardful all in one.

*sigh*... :cry: Poor that dog... If I see any dog on the tree with fire, I will go and save that dog immedately.

There is a certain type of pit bull that is savage and uncontrollable. They are being considered a new pit bull breed. This is caused by inbreeding which is actually ruining the pit bull breed. The majority of these dogs are bred for dogfighting. The owners make them aggressive when they are very young. Even though dog fighting is illegal it is still occurring all over the United States. Many teenagers who are members of gangs like to have these animals because they feel that it makes them appear tough to others. They also use their pit bulls as weapons.

Source: Why Are Some Pit Bulls Naturally Mean and Others Very Mild? - Associated Content

Back