Does wearing a hearing aid/CI cause the TSA to scrutinize you?

rraja

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with this. Last month one of them asked me to remove my CI but I told him I need it to hear and he let me keep it on. But that was before they started using the more "enhanced" screenings.

I'm going to be on a plane flight next week and I wanted to know if anyone had any warnings/recommendations as to what to do about this. I thought of taking it off, but it might get damaged going through the bag scanners and I wouldn't be able to follow any directions if they gave me any. So what to do?

I've flown on about 5 flights since 2003, last one was in 2007, and no one gave me an issue about my CI.

Might be different now that TSA is much more paranoid.

one time, a pat down.

but that was a long time ago after 9-11.

I put my external processor in the dish with my keys. and specially told them not to put it in the scanner

one time, a pat down.

but that was a long time ago after 9-11.

I put my external processor in the dish with my keys. and specially told them not to put it in the scanner

Hold on, how does that work? How do they inspect it? I was under the impression that they put everything through the scanner or the metal detector if it stays on the person (but now the metal detectors are being replaced by full body scanners)

Just to clarify, I've flown more times than I can count and that event last month was the first time the TSA had ever said anything about my CI. But they're getting more and more scrutinizing these days...

I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with this. Last month one of them asked me to remove my CI but I told him I need it to hear and he let me keep it on. But that was before they started using the more "enhanced" screenings.

I'm going to be on a plane flight next week and I wanted to know if anyone had any warnings/recommendations as to what to do about this. I thought of taking it off, but it might get damaged going through the bag scanners and I wouldn't be able to follow any directions if they gave me any. So what to do?

read this site - TSA: Hearing Disabilities
It is not necessary to remove hearing aids or the exterior component of a cochlear implant at security checkpoints.
According to Otolaryngologist and Otolaryngology surgeons, hearing devices such as hearing aids, cochlear implants, external component of cochlear implants, and middle ear implants are not affected by X-ray inspection, the walk-through metal detector, or the hand-held metal detector.
If you are concerned or uncomfortable with going through the walk-thorough metal detector, or are uneasy with having your external component of your cochlear implant X-rayed, you can ask for a full body pat-down of your person and a visual and physical inspection of the exterior component while it remains on your body.

Hold on, how does that work? How do they inspect it? I was under the impression that they put everything through the scanner or the metal detector if it stays on the person (but now the metal detectors are being replaced by full body scanners)

Just to clarify, I've flown more times than I can count and that event last month was the first time the TSA had ever said anything about my CI. But they're getting more and more scrutinizing these days...

well, I just asked them not to, and they didn't

but no worries, because they scan cameras and cellphones and they turn out fine.

FYI - metal detector is not being replaced by full body scanner.

they have 4 kinds of security screening - metal detector, hand wand, full body scanner, and pat-down. You are not required to go thru body scan. and you are not required to take off your CI for them to inspect.

You could show them the Patient Identification Card explaining what a cochlear implant is whereas it also says on the card that the CI may also activate airport security metal detectors. I got one from my surgeon. Did you get one from yours?

i wore a HA a few weeks ago. they took me into a private room. strip searched me and beat me with ball bats. then they showed me a CI user behind the one way mirror who was getting the waterboard treatment and told " better if you were deaf ! "

Back