Does this happened to you too?

Deaf people who thinks CI doesn't belong in Deaf Culture. Many do not understand what CI is.
Indeedy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When aids became popular, a lot of deafies thought that they were a threat to deaf culture. I definitly think it would be an awesome idear to get to know the Deaf community in your area. The East Coasters tend to be a lot more libral and openminded.

I am really sorry for the intolerance and misunderstanding of these people, and the way their behavior and ideas have hurt you. I have seen a lot of change within the deaf community regarding CI, and fortunately, that kind of judgemental intolerance is not that common. You, unfortunately,seem to have found a pocket of it out there. Believe it or not, the attitude toward CI has even changed in the hearing community. I see fewer and fewer parents who view the CI as a cure. It has taken some less than expected results happening over time for parents to begin to see that their child is still deaf with a CI, and there are still those out there that haven't gotten the message for what ever reason. Could be the message isn't being provided through their contact with audis and medical professionals, could be that they haven't reached the point yet where they will listen to the message. My point is, CI really was a pretty radical concept, and acceptance of such a radical concept takes time. Some move slower in the acceptance process than others. Sounds like your friends are moving at a snail's pace. Also, you are young, so I am assuming that your friends are approximately the same age as you. I don't mean this to sound patronizing, but it is highly possible that they are still looking for their own identity, and have latched onto that Deafpride type of identity to give them a sense of purpose while they figure it out. A little time and experience with life will help to moderate that all or nothing type of attitude. But, if I were you, I wouldn't wait around while they complete the journey. Make new friends who have the understanding that your CI does not change, fundamentally, who you are.

Good luck to you, Skullchick. :hug:

Sad. Maybe they will realise they have lost a good friend, and for what reason?

In this era, I'd thought deaf adults would accept their friend's choice to get CI. Obviously, there's some who have yet to be tolerant.

Sorry to hear they shunned you because of your choice. In fact, you're better off without them.

Go out and meet new deafies and even talk with some ADers. :)

Hang in there.

There are always going to be some people who will be against this or that. There are people who dont give me the time of the day simply cuz I grew up orally.

However, I feel for SkullChick cuz those people were her friends growing up. Ouch.

yeah deaf that I know of are against C.I. is really acting immature and foolish to push a friend a way that just want to hear better with C.I. ,, C.I. is a personal choice and lot deaf I know are not using their head to think twice that a C.I. is not gonna to change a person life. It don't means it a threat to deaf community. They make a big deal out of it too much to tell me "Deaf Pride" and I would tell them well if you so glue to called yourself deaf pride, then you shouldn't not kick out some friends that want to have C.I. for making their life better for themselves. It okay to have deaf and hearing world. And don t realized they are in the hearing world. Lot of deaf have to learn to co-exist with C.I. and still be friends. They needs to stop begining a negative party pooper! The don't realized that they lose a very good friend over C.I. and that sad. Too many deaf communities I have seen go too far with their immature behaviors and being a stuck up. It really such a shame.

There are always going to be some people who will be against this or that. There are people who dont give me the time of the day simply cuz I grew up orally.

However, I feel for SkullChick cuz those people were her friends growing up. Ouch.

Yep they grew up with me since age of 3

Wow, I'm very sorry that they treated you differently. Now I am sooo MAD!!! :mad::mad:

HEY!
Don't worry about them. If I were you, I will take some advices from ADers here, in your thread, as long as you are doing for your life. It's so importance that you are happy with your choice. :):) You need your happiness, too.

Fyi, I dont have my sidekick with me until Monday (Jan 27th) or to visit the Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants thread. I'm really sorry if I made you so sad because I didn't get on online (AIM, Yahoo, IM etc) very much..

PM me whenever you want to talk with me, I am able to visit AllDeaf a bit more often than I used to. :):) :hug: Love ya!!

Wow, I'm very sorry that they treated you differently. Now I am sooo MAD!!! :mad::mad:

HEY!
Don't worry about them. If I were you, I will take some advices from ADers here, in your thread, as long as you are doing for your life. It's so importance that you are happy with your choice. :):) You need your happiness, too.

Fyi, I dont have my sidekick with me until Monday (Jan 27th) or to visit the Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants thread. I'm really sorry if I made you so sad because I didn't get on online (AIM, Yahoo, IM etc) very much..

PM me whenever you want to talk with me, I am able to visit AllDeaf a bit more often than I used to. :):) :hug: Love ya!!

Correction: Jan 28th, 2008

Back