Does the use of baby sign delay speech development?

Cheri

Prayers for my dad.
Premium Member
Reaction score
Using baby sign language can help ease frustration for parents and babies during those preverbal times offering a simple form of communication to help enable babies to get them selves understood.

But does using baby sign language actually delay speech?

The short answer to this is no.

Signing is a very good start to communicating as a babies physical development does not allow them to start speaking properly until around 18 months old.

Communication is communication and using forms of sign and gestures are all very effective ways for a child to get their message across and get others to understand them.

Part of the problem when parents get concerned that their baby is not speaking yet is because they think that their baby should be speaking by now. But that is rarely the case

Research carried out in America and published in the Journal of Non Verbal Behavior by Dr Linda Acredolo showed that when using baby sign language and talking to your baby at the same time on average the children in their studies at 36 months of age were speaking at an equivalent level of non signing 47 month olds.

It is important to encourage your baby's attempts at speech by talking to them when using baby sign language so that they can connect the spoken word with the sign.

Does the use of baby sign delay speech development?

What do you think of this article?

Yes I agree it is important that they speak and sign at the same time which will improves their language and communication skills...

My dad is a doctor, and he has read several articles about how early signing helps (hearing) babies with language development. He encouraged my sister to teach her kids some basic signs. But some of the signs she taught them were not ASL (I think they were just made up) and her girls didn't learn more ASL when they got older. I didn't understand why she stopped teaching them - it was disappointing to me. :( I wish ASL were taught in hearing schools. It is a beautiful language, and more people should know at least a few signs. One of my nieces knows Japanese, and she is in 3rd grade! But ASL isn't offered in any of their schools.

My dad is a doctor, and he has read several articles about how early signing helps (hearing) babies with language development. He encouraged my sister to teach her kids some basic signs. But some of the signs she taught them were not ASL (I think they were just made up) and her girls didn't learn more ASL when they got older. I didn't understand why she stopped teaching them - it was disappointing to me. :( I wish ASL were taught in hearing schools. It is a beautiful language, and more people should know at least a few signs. One of my nieces knows Japanese, and she is in 3rd grade! But ASL isn't offered in any of their schools.

:smiling: it is a beautiful language, I just wish many people will see that as you do....:ty:

And yet we still have people insisting that sign will prohibit the development of spoken language, and the scary thing is, someof these people are the very ones that parents look to for accurate information so they can make informed decisions regarding their children!

My dad is also a doctor but I remember when I first went to VSDB in Staunton, he was concerned that I'd lose my speech skills and just sign. His worries were unfounded.

My 2nd sister bought a dvd "Baby Einstein" for my nephew to learning sign language that it surpised me that she bought that I found on the dvd shelf where she keep on the shelf of movies. I am proud of my sister bought it for my nephew to learning to signs to aunt which is me :)

The parents have a babies it would be nice learn sign lanauages to the babies that would be nice to understand communiated to understand than having hard time :)

My 2nd sister bought a dvd "Baby Einstein" for my nephew to learning sign language that it surpised me that she bought that I found on the dvd shelf where she keep on the shelf of movies. I am proud of my sister bought it for my nephew to learning to signs to aunt which is me :)

The parents have a babies it would be nice learn sign lanauages to the babies that would be nice to understand communiated to understand than having hard time :)

That was a wonderful thing for your sister to do!

Aw that was really nice of your sister to do that DeafMonkey....:)

See my last post in A Cochlear Implant Story thread for support of signing.:cool:

I agree that exposing babies to sign language is a positive impact on their language development and doesn't infere with their ability to devolop speech skills.

One thing that I disagree is using voixes while signing because both languages r completely separate from each other so when using both at the same time, one language will become compromised which is usually ASL.

I did that with my daughter and I regret it so with my son, when I sign, I don't use my voice or when I speak to him, I don't sign.

I agree that exposing babies to sign language is a positive impact on their language development and doesn't infere with their ability to devolop speech skills.

One thing that I disagree is using voixes while signing because both languages r completely separate from each other so when using both at the same time, one language will become compromised which is usually ASL.

I did that with my daughter and I regret it so with my son, when I sign, I don't use my voice or when I speak to him, I don't sign.

It is impossible for me to use ASL and voice, too. I just cannot do it. If I use voice when I sign, I lapse into PSE. So I agree with you. A proper model of spoken English does not include sign, and a proper model of ASL does not include voice.

A proper model of spoken English does not include sign, and a proper model of ASL does not include voice.

Agree. If you sign with speaking English or speak English with signing, that is not proper ASL. PSE/SEE is better than no signs and I understand PSE/SEE when learning ASL, but ASL and English are different languages. ASL is not "English with the hands" and English is not "loud ASL". I think most hearing people do not understand that.

Oops I mean 3rd sister not 2nd sister :Oops: lol :lol: .. my 2nd sister doesnt have a kids lol

Aw that was really nice of your sister to do that DeafMonkey....:)

Yep nice of my sister doing for her son to learn signs because of me that I m deaf :) .. oops not 2nd sister lol it is 3rd sister lol :lol:

Agree. If you sign with speaking English or speak English with signing, that is not proper ASL. PSE/SEE is better than no signs and I understand PSE/SEE when learning ASL, but ASL and English are different languages. ASL is not "English with the hands" and English is not "loud ASL". I think most hearing people do not understand that.

What a great way to explain it!

ASL is not "English with the hands" and English is not "loud ASL". I think most hearing people do not understand that.

Indeed, Kaitin. I had no idea before I started ASL how different it would be. I ignorantly assumed it was all SEE and wondered how anyone could possibly sign all of that!

I've since learned the sign for "stupid" and applied it to myself. :giggle:

:gpost:

That is a great way of explaining how both languages are different and one cannot do both at the same time if they want to keep both languages to their true form.

Does anyone have a link to that series of vlogs where someone (I'm sorry I've forgotten who it was now) basically asked the question "Why is sign encouraged for hearing babies but discouraged for deaf babies?" Her argument was interesting and eloquent.

Does anyone have a link to that series of vlogs where someone (I'm sorry I've forgotten who it was now) basically asked the question "Why is sign encouraged for hearing babies but discouraged for deaf babies?" Her argument was interesting and eloquent.

Maybe over in the Deafread archives??

Oh, I remember that one! Wish I could help you.

Back