Does the cold effect your CI?

RonJaxon

Reaction score
It's getting cold here in Michigan. When I took my dog out this morning in the snow I realized I was getting an odd sensation where my CI is. I'm sure this is just because my surgery was recent and it's still healing. It didn't hurt, just felt a little strange up there.

But it got me to wonder if anyone who has a CI has ever had any experience with being out in the cold. I do some outdoor activities in the winter like Ice fishing sometimes and I get pretty cold. I'm asking more out of curiosity right now. If it has some effect I'll be sure to use extra precaution should I spend time out in the cold this winter. I always do my best to keep warm anyway. :)

Ron

I had to use ear muff and hat to protect my ears from the cold while I was wearing C.I. ,,, so Far I have been using C.I. for almost 4 1/2 years now.

Well where I live it rarely gets below -5 so I don't see this affecting my CI much. Most of the time it's around 30 degree in winter.

I don't think it from CI affect your cold. I haven't get sick from cold for long times. At least I'm pregnant and have dried blood in my nose because it's symptom. It's all normal. You need to wear sweater hat to cover your ears and ear muffs when you go outside.

I think he is talking about the weather.

I've heard cold weather and rain affect old injuries for alot of people.

Whenever it rains I get very very bad headache that one I hate to deal with. As for cold weather my I get dry blood in my nose for years, Even after I was pregnant with my first child. I am not crazy about cold weather.

Once in a while bitter cold weather will affect my wrist but not my CI. I have mild arthritis in my left wrist.

HI Ron,

As my Op was in middle of heatwave and i had alot of hair shaven off!!! It was a good 4-5 months before i experinced the cold! However when I was in Austria feb 2009 (7 months post op) for 2 weeks with -10 temps the cold had never affected me. I wore warm hat all the time and wore helmet when i skied. It had been -3 this week at nights in UK i get up very early to walk the dog and haven't used hat yet but on other hand I have nice thick hair!

So i guess it's all part of healing, so keep warm if you can (psst, 80% of body heat escapes through head so better wear it anyway!!!)

Whenever it rains I get very very bad headache that one I hate to deal with. As for cold weather my I get dry blood in my nose for years, Even after I was pregnant with my first child. I am not crazy about cold weather.

It got very dry here few weeks ago and i woke up with a gusher! nice when you have lovely white bed sheets!!! Grr!

I get stiff few times, I had a lot of injuries from my old rugby days (retired at 27), broken shoulder, dislocated shoulder (twice and same shoulder as broken one so not surprised here!!) broke my ankle, nose.

My ankle are the most affected. It takes a while to loosen up, it was same when i have been on the horse for hours (could be from 11 am to dark at 5pm) in the cold, when i got off the horse OWWWWIIIIIEE!!!! :eek3: LOL!!

Cold affects my joints it get achy and slightly stiff (I'm only 22! Not 60??) and it sometime make my incision scar ache on angle where doctor cut from ear toward scalp part (guess I have scar tissue under there?) sinus get achy so it causes me to have headache more often but never the CI itself or affect any sounds.

I remember my friend who has CI and he said that he was in NYC during harsh winter and his CI really got cold that it got painful and continued to be cold once he got inside. I don't have the issue since I always cover my head BUT my implant contour is virtuallly "flat" and well embedded so you don't see a bump or feel the implant. His implant is quite "bumpy" and he is skinny as a toothpick therefore doesn't insulate his implant well.

I honestly think in cases with adults, surgeons should always embed the implant deep enough to match the contour of the skull and not show the bump.

Of course, implants now are much thinner so it may not be true anymore.

I think you're right in that it may not be true for anymore. At least for those of us like me who where recently implanted with the Nucleus 5. My bump is quite large. From what I read prior to my surgery a few weeks ago the new N5 doesn't require much of the skull to be removed. It's about as thick as a couple of coins stacked.

Ron

Hi Ron I live in Midwestern Ontario and woke up to -19 c this morning and it was nice to take my Hearing Dog out for her walk lol ya right. I had my CI surgery on June 16th this year and found no problems with the cold as yet you know how cold our Canadian winters can be. The only pain I found was when I installed an extra magnet in the coil I found the side of my head hurting until it was removed.

Good Luck with your activation, Don

I live in Wisconsin where the weather can get pretty cold. I don't notice any problems with my CI in the winter except for my CI batteries dying prematurely. To get around this problem, I wear a hat. Sometimes I also feel a strange sensation in my ears as if they are congested even though I don't have a cold or my allergies aren't bothering me.

I live in Wisconsin where the weather can get pretty cold. I don't notice any problems with my CI in the winter except for my CI batteries dying prematurely. To get around this problem, I wear a hat. Sometimes I also feel a strange sensation in my ears as if they are congested even though I don't have a cold or my allergies aren't bothering me.

i though you were moving to arizona?

where my parents live it can get COLD! Brrr!!I always wear a warm wool hat..and scarf..it did affect my CI disposables..they always died prematurely..with recharges I 've got them only few months so I don't know if they'll act the same..

I also tend to wear shoulderworn with cold weather , bc that means it'll be very rainy and I feel safer having the implant under my coat.

Back