does the ADA cover VP videophones if TTY is provided?

Kai Onca

Reaction score
Title says it. I work for a deaf-related company Ironic isn't it?

They still have tty's which just makes my work performance dealing with parents decline as I have so much hatred for those outdated devices that gets garbled 25% of the time and I've been requesting for a VP to be installed into the group homes for the last 5 years:

Their excuse: cannot afford internet/dsl. They don't even have computers. And they just installed new carpeting into the main offices. Whereas the residences have really ratty carpeting....

My hearing coworkers have a huge advantage they can just whip out their cellphones or dail quickly to call someone to ask a simple question that's answered in less than 10 seconds....

My major question is- are they breaking the ADA law by providing tty instead of VP?

What you are asking is a age-long issue we all deaf/HOH been dealing with ever since technology has come about.

Your best best is to contact NAD and see what they can come up with.

My opinion? - its a pretty much tough thing to figure out. You only stated you work for a group home. Not enough information. Just working for a deaf related company doesnt tell me anything. What kind of a group home is it? is it geared towards deaf/hoh ? Or you just happened to be deaf/hoh working in a hearing environment? IF by any chance the group home has deaf/hoh living there, do they know signs? How do they communicate and make phone calls? If it all hearing... hmm its gonna be tough to find a validating reason to have a VP in a building or buildings you work in. You just need to provide more information and then you might be able to use ADA law on your side.

Question- DO you have a laptop with webcam? is there a wireless access there/ in area? perhaps this might be your workaround. maybe you could get a android HTC and install one of mobile VRS'es and use that instead ?

First- its a non-profit organization that serves the deaf population with special needs as I do not want to go into the details as its enough for someone to know some of the staff are deaf/hoh just like I and all of the clients at this time is deaf and most of them are low functioning, cannot read or write that well :wave: they cannot communicate through the tty and depend on their staff to interpret for them. Some of the higher functioning clients have reading disability that doesn't allow them to use the tty.

I am sick and tired of people telling me to get a iphone or a laptop, why do we have to provide one for ourselves at work? We are already using our personal phones to communicate via texts to our supervisors.

AND no this area the group homes are located in is so ghetto theres no wireless connection, the company doesn't provide computer nor internet for us to use. We're not 'allowed' technically to be using our laptops while on duty. So the laptop suggestion is merely not an option.

Title says it. I work for a deaf-related company Ironic isn't it?

They still have tty's which just makes my work performance dealing with parents decline as I have so much hatred for those outdated devices that gets garbled 25% of the time and I've been requesting for a VP to be installed into the group homes for the last 5 years:

Because it's 2 different baud that cause fault by Ultratec that use specs, they tried to monopoly on TTY market. That's why it end up to have garbled between computer and TTY.

Their excuse: cannot afford internet/dsl. They don't even have computers. And they just installed new carpeting into the main offices. Whereas the residences have really ratty carpeting....

depend where location and which company is take over, some charge too silly price or not available (only 40% available in USA, most suck in rural area). That's good excuse.

My hearing coworkers have a huge advantage they can just whip out their cellphones or dail quickly to call someone to ask a simple question that's answered in less than 10 seconds....

text them, isn't that simple question, also?

My major question is- are they breaking the ADA law by providing tty instead of VP?

because ADA haven't adopted the law as I seen commercial ads mention "TTY". TTY exist long time before corp finally provide the accessible to make call for umm 10 to 20 years later. Same as Closed Caption, we're always behind it.

Because it's 2 different baud that cause fault by Ultratec that use specs, they tried to monopoly on TTY market. That's why it end up to have garbled between computer and TTY.

I don't give a fudge why it happens. It's not excusable to put up with that whereas my coworkers don't have to put up with bleeped words in person dontcha they. No.

depend where location and which company is take over, some charge too silly price or not available (only 40% available in USA, most suck in rural area). That's good excuse.

This is a suburb with full access to the Internet in a 4g area, is that good enuff for you.

text them, isn't that simple question, also?

Ok I cannot text a full explanation or get texts back fast enough. Text characters are limited as well so not not sufficient when one has a crisis situation such as all kinds of medication questions and do texts let me know the person has received and read the SOS message. No. My hearing coworkers benefit from the instant processing to make their job function easier. We use landline phones to grab other staffs attention instead of calling their personal cellphones. This is involving behavioral/emotional problem clients. I'm not freaking going to text a coworker and wait 5 minutes not knowing if he got the text to come over and help. Freaking wonderful suggesstion I mite as well write a long letter and have pony express send it over.

because ADA haven't adopted the law as I seen commercial ads mention "TTY". TTY exist long time before corp finally provide the accessible to make call for umm 10 to 20 years later. Same as Closed Caption, we're always behind it.

Sad. Very sad. It not answer my question. Guess its not covered. Thanks.

I think I have a suggestion. Contact your congress-people, and other politicians in your area. Keep bugging them til they get sick and tired of you then they might help you in the end. Could try contact FCC as well for clarification or maybe complaint. Maybe they have something, don't just focus on ADA.

Maybe contact www.projectendeavor.org and see what they got to say since your workplace deals with Deaf. Their endeavor was to get Deafies access to the Internet.

I understood your situation perfectly clear.

It sucks, but nope.. They're not legally required to. Use your phone and call relay. Show those hearies that we've got it too!

But yeah.. The law hasn't quite caught up with technology :(

Thanks for the feedback. Guess its back to the drawing board on getting myself on even ground. Maybe just bite the bullet and get iPhone n use vp from there?

Thanks for the feedback. Guess its back to the drawing board on getting myself on even ground. Maybe just bite the bullet and get iPhone n use vp from there?

Sorry to heard about it. Depend on your company's coverage which it's good strong signal (fast internet) or weak signal (slow internet)

Yes, You can use nTouch Mobile or ZVRS mobile from an iPhone.

Sorenson ntouch™
https://www.zvrs.com/z-series/z4-mobile-for-ios

Or You can use MIFI under Verizon since Chicago already have 4G ready which fast enough for VP.

Mobile Internet and Mobile Hotspots - 4G MiFi | Verizon Wireless

You can laptop or iPad 2 or iPhone connect to MIFI.

No, TTY is one of the reasonable accommodations, therefore your employer is not required to provide VP for the clients. Of course, VP is free but an internet is not.

There might be some kind of financial aid you can get. What state are you in? In California, the Vocational Rehabilitation department almost always buys things the Deaf needs in the workplace. I've heard of Sorenson providing financial assistance too. Don't throw in the towel just yet. The law won't help you in this case, but there are other resources.

There might be some kind of financial aid you can get. What state are you in? In California, the Vocational Rehabilitation department almost always buys things the Deaf needs in the workplace. I've heard of Sorenson providing financial assistance too. Don't throw in the towel just yet. The law won't help you in this case, but there are other resources.
Sorenson provides free VPs but the problem is that it requires an internet service which the OP's workplace can't afford. So are you saying that DVR or Sorenson will cover internet service fees every month? If not, how else can they help? The OP said that most of the deaf clients cannot write or read well so VP is the best way for them. What I think is that the only way for them to pay for an internet service is from charities.

Sorenson provides free VPs but the problem is that it requires an internet service which the OP's workplace can't afford. So are you saying that DVR or Sorenson will cover internet service fees every month? If not, how else can they help? The OP said that most of the deaf clients cannot write or read well so VP is the best way for them.

California's DVR does. There are also other places in California that pay for internet access for those who need it. I don't know about other states.

California's DVR does. There are also other places in California that pay for internet access for those who need it. I don't know about other states.
Really? CA's DVR gets money from the state which gets money from CA taxpayers including me so that means we pay for it, not DVR. LOL but it's true anyway.

Planning on getting iPhone, however my only issue is how to decide what is worth it, the Siri or without Siri.

Back