Does professionals have the right to tell parents what to do and what not to do?

Sorry, but the doctor was wrong. Both can be remediated. Quite often, however, the social is ignored to the degree that it causes lifelong problems.

Did I hear you calling my name, Jillio? :)

Sorry, but the doctor was wrong. Both can be remediated. Quite often, however, the social is ignored to the degree that it causes lifelong problems.

I did not say it was a doctor... I just utterly mentioned my own mother was forunate to meet a professional. A school psychologist from Gallaudet. Grins! I think cochlear implant was in early stages and was anti topic in deaf community at the time when my mom discovered my deafness at age 2 1/2. So thank god I born at the right time and right place.

True - doctor are dangerous because they box their thinking to ear and cure. Tragic toll on emotional, identity, and social aspect. Some do not recover from it. I recovered barely.

I did not say it was a doctor... I just utterly mentioned my own mother was forunate to meet a professional. A school psychologist from Gallaudet. Grins! I think cochlear implant was in early stages and was anti topic in deaf community at the time when my mom discovered my deafness at age 2 1/2. So thank god I born at the right time and right place.

True - doctor are dangerous because they box their thinking to ear and cure. Tragic toll on emotional, identity, and social aspect. Some do not recover from it. I recovered barely.

Ah, but a school psychologist is a doctor. Just not a medical doctor. Once cannot use the title "psychologist" without a doctorate.:)

I do agree with your statements regarding the emotional, identity, and social aspects.

I have been told by audiologists that if I sign with my daughter that she will never learn to speak. I was told that if she didn't learn to speak it was because I am a lazy mom. I am also fighting right now to get my daughter a CI and the audiologist is telling me that we must switch her to an oral only enviroment (instead of her bi-bi school) in order to get it. I have refused, but I worry about other, less informed parents...

My gawd! You must report her for lies she said and for criticizing you because that was unprofessional! The audi has ABSOLUTE NO right to tell you what to do and try and coerce you.

My mother was shocked they'd use such tactics on you.

Be strong and kick her ass! Best revenge would be to bring your daughter to see this audi in 15 years and say "See, she did well because I CHOSE what is right for her, not you"

It's unfortunate that there are professionals who still think that deafness is a sickness and they must "cure" it with their CIs and Oral schools.

*sigh*

Rick,
My daughter's life is surrounded by speaking people. She is in a hearing family, so she is always surrounded by auditory information. In addition, she will be having speech and listening times in her classroom everyday as well as twice a week private AVT therapy.

Rick,
My daughter's life is surrounded by speaking people. She is in a hearing family, so she is always surrounded by auditory information. In addition, she will be having speech and listening times in her classroom everyday as well as twice a week private AVT therapy.

faire jour,

Thanks for getting back to me. I do not understand why this audiologist is so insistent upon the mainstream setting for your daughter when there are ci kids in non-mainstream and non-oral school settings. Does he/she state a reason why?

Also, is this audiologist with the implant center? If not, then just deal directly with the implant center. If so, and you have chosen a device, you may want to contact the manufacturer directly adn explain what is going on.

You probably know better than I but there are many schools for the deaf that have implanted kids attending their school and for whom implant centers provide on site services, you may want to contact some of them and get information/support for your daughter's implant.

Good luck,
Rick

He is the only audiologist who is even willing to discuss an implant with us.
We only have one implant center in Utah and 3 pediatric audiologists.
At first it was a "NO!". Then it became a "You'll have to lose all signing and move her to an all oral class (and possibly hold her back a year)". Now it is "IF you have all the therapy set up AND show me you are committed, AND promise that if she doesn't do as well as *I* believe she should then we can immediatly pull her placement......". Whatever :roll: I would never allow my child to fail. I will do what it takes to get her what she needs, even if that means dealing with professionals.

At first it was a "NO!". Then it became a "You'll have to lose all signing and move her to an all oral class (and possibly hold her back a year)". Now it is "IF you have all the therapy set up AND show me you are committed, AND promise that if she doesn't do as well as *I* believe she should then we can immediatly pull her placement......". Whatever :roll: I would never allow my child to fail. I will do what it takes to get her what she needs, even if that means dealing with professionals.

Why are they doing this? It is your child. It is like the complete reverse of deaf people telling hearing parents not to implant their children because of Deaf pride. I guess these "professionals" are militants about being hearing and oral skills. :roll: what's wrong with a middle ground? There is NOTHINg wrong with exposing deaf children to both languages. :roll:

This is terrifying.

Ugh, found out today she lost more hearing. We are at 80-100 db all the way across. Can we have the implant yet??

I think next time I will ask this question:

"Are you telling me that yopu are denying my child a medical procedure because she is a cultural and linguistic MINORITY? Isn't that illegal?"

"Are you telling me that yopu are denying my child a medical procedure because she is a cultural and linguistic MINORITY? Isn't that illegal?"

Excellent approach!!

And he will say no, and he will then say something along the lines of a mainstream environment being the best auditory setting for her, the opportunity for her to have peers who will expose her to age appropriate language on a daily basis and you will have played right into his hands.

I think you should ask him why, given that your daughter was born hearing, is being raised by hearing parents, once she has the implant will have greater exposure on a daily basis to all sounds, including speech, in her daily home environment, is currently receiving x number of hours of AVT which WILL continue post implant, that both parents are committed to her success with the implant you are denying her the benefits and opportunites of the implant due to her educational placement?

You are aware of course, that there are currently thousands of implanted children in educational settings similar to my daughter?

You are also aware of the fact, that the educational placement of any child is based upon many factors and that we have decided, as her parents, that she is presently in the most approriate setting for her, so please inform me why, based on all of the above, why you are choosing to deny her the cochlear implant which many other implant centers across this country will provide to her and why you feel that in order for her to have an implant, we must place her in an educational setting which we, as her parents, have determined, is not presently in her best interests?

Those are the questions I would like him to answer if it was my child.
Good luck,
Rick

I think that in most situations I would have thought that as unprofessional as well. BUT... if the grandmother had specifically asked a question about whether or not to use sign language, she should respect his opinion... after all, the doctor would have just answered her question then, right? (Just my two cents.)

You don't seem to understand that the doctor's opinion is the typical audist view.

Research a little.

And he will say no, and he will then say something along the lines of a mainstream environment being the best auditory setting for her, the opportunity for her to have peers who will expose her to age appropriate language on a daily basis and you will have played right into his hands.

I think you should ask him why, given that your daughter was born hearing, is being raised by hearing parents, once she has the implant will have greater exposure on a daily basis to all sounds, including speech, in her daily home environment, is currently receiving x number of hours of AVT which WILL continue post implant, that both parents are committed to her success with the implant you are denying her the benefits and opportunites of the implant due to her educational placement?

You are aware of course, that there are currently thousands of implanted children in educational settings similar to my daughter?

You are also aware of the fact, that the educational placement of any child is based upon many factors and that we have decided, as her parents, that she is presently in the most approriate setting for her, so please inform me why, based on all of the above, why you are choosing to deny her the cochlear implant which many other implant centers across this country will provide to her and why you feel that in order for her to have an implant, we must place her in an educational setting which we, as her parents, have determined, is not presently in her best interests?

Those are the questions I would like him to answer if it was my child.
Good luck,
Rick

He says that since she is 5, we aren't in a hurry. And that we should make sure we aren't putting her through the surgery for nothing.

He says that since she is 5, we aren't in a hurry. And that we should make sure we aren't putting her through the surgery for nothing.

I sincerely doubt that you are "putting her through the surgery for nothing" and that you are carefully weighing the pros and cons. BTW even the ability to hear only environmental sounds has been enough of a reason for many.
Rick

I sincerely doubt that you are "putting her through the surgery for nothing" and that you are carefully weighing the pros and cons. BTW even the ability to hear only environmental sounds has been enough of a reason for many.
Rick

You sincerely doubt that this parent is carefully weighing all the pros and cons? Either your grammar is off, or your judgement, one of the two.

The last comment is typical of the audist, medicalized view that even a little hearing is better than none.

Back