does it show?

Katina22

Reaction score
I am going for my very first evaluation for a CI next week and I stumbled upon this forum while doing some research.

At the risk of sounding very vain, if I do get a CI will the whole world know, or can it be hidden by my hair?

Is there anything I should know before my first appointment?

I really want to qualify as I my right ear is is just about totally deaf and even with a strong aid I can only hear sounds, not words. I also have tinittus and have for years.

Depends on how long your hair is, what color processor you get, etc.

Whether you have a CI or hearing aid, the world is going to know that you have a hearing impairment by your communication skills.

How old are you?

I have a shaved head and wear two cochlear implants. The whole world can see that I have implants. Guess what? No one cares. Trust me. No one cares that you have a device on your ear.

95% of the population will think it is a Bluetooth device.

It will probably show. Decorate it to express your fun side.

I have long hair and you can't see mine with my hair down... It wouldn't bother me if people did see it. it comes in a bunch of different colors.. I have black because i have dark hair.

Katina: your main concern should can I hear with the Cochlear Implant not if anyone can spot it> Females with long hair usually cover their Implants fairly well. As noted above bald headed men it is obvious. Personally - mine is quite obvious over my left ear.
Good luck in your upcoming CI evaluation.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

We could easily hide my daughter's, but if any hair left loose over top of it will brush against the mic, that's a lot of disruptive sounds. Her equipment is all black, as is her hair, so it can be discreet, but we tend to fasten it to her pony tails atop her head with wild barrettes and clips, so it pretty much screams out 'hey look over here -- something high tech and different!' People often stop and compliment her funky barrettes and ask where we got them, not realizing that at $9K a pop they are probably a little expensive compared with the funky barrettes found at Target.

I think she looks gorgeous in hi-tech.

We could easily hide my daughter's, but if any hair left loose over top of it will brush against the mic, that's a lot of disruptive sounds. Her equipment is all black, as is her hair, so it can be discreet, but we tend to fasten it to her pony tails atop her head with wild barrettes and clips, so it pretty much screams out 'hey look over here -- something high tech and different!' People often stop and compliment her funky barrettes and ask where we got them, not realizing that at $9K a pop they are probably a little expensive compared with the funky barrettes found at Target.

I think she looks gorgeous in hi-tech.

That's absolutely great! :lol: she's gonna be a high fashion model before you know it!!

I'm heavily tattoo'd, so I (personally) thought it'd be cool to get those yellow/black crash-test-dummy circles tattoo'd on my head where the ci's mount.... but that's just me...

I'm heavily tattoo'd, so I (personally) thought it'd be cool to get those yellow/black crash-test-dummy circles tattoo'd on my head where the ci's mount.... but that's just me...

that would be wild... I would wait till i healed though...

I can only hide mine when my hair is done which is NEVER. It's always up and I don't care who sees it.

I usually have medium length hair and it covers it pretty good. If the processor is also the same color as your hair's, that could make it cover it a little more.

Yea, like others said, if you wear your hair down, you can pretty much cover it. Easier done if your hair is curly than if it is straight. Either way, people will see at some point or another, and if they do, no one really acknowledges it. I haven't yet run into anyone that actually KNEW it was a CI, cause like someone else said, most people think it's a bluetooth. Which I suppose could be kinda problem some with the ignorant majority who might lash out at you at random for wearing a "bluetooth" in certain settings. (This from my experience of teachers lashing out at me for wearing a "walkman" in school when it was actually an FM trainer). Either way, at some point, you won't care if people see it because you'll be a little more excited that you can actually hear people talk to you.

Back