Does hearing loss make you really tired?

KellyC

Reaction score
I am wondering if losing hearing makes you really tired. I mean this in 3 ways:

1. Most obvious: tired from working/straining to hear
2. General sleepiness and feeling tired almost all day, sleeping a lot
3. Physical exhaustion where your muscles are fatigued after doing very little

It is easy to connect #1 to my hearing, but what about #2-3? Are these related to my hearing or balance issues?

This may apply only to people who gradually became HOH or deaf. I'm not sure.

Thanks!

hearing noises?

I think deafness causes sleepiness, or at least it has with me. I also hear gentle noises in my left ear although I am profoundly deaf. These noises occur every few months, don't frighten me, don't interfere with my sleep, but I wonder what causes them. Does anyone know?

Gentle

Not me. I suspect anyone who are hearing and all of a sudden they lose their hearing of trying to listen harder and harder that makes them feel so tired.

I was born profoundly deaf and the same since i was baby. I don't feel so tired. So it has to be something to struggle trying to listen to the sounds that worn them out.

2 and 3 are also signs of depression. You may consciously or not, have problems adjusting.

Also you have oto-sclerosis, I believe. I'm not sure if that would be part of a whole systemic thing that could affect your whole body?

2 and 3 are also signs of depression. You may consciously or not, have problems adjusting.

Also you have oto-sclerosis, I believe. I'm not sure if that would be part of a whole systemic thing that could affect your whole body?

I don't think I'm depressed, I have actually been tired for 2 years now (along with a lot of intermittent illnesses) but I just found out about otosclerosis recently and generally life is pretty good to me.

From everything I've read, otosclerosis is localized just to the ear, but interestingly my mom and young brother (only 21 years) both have osteoporosis. Neither of them have hearing loss, but my mom has bad tinnitus. The more I learn, the more confused I become. :giggle:

I think deafness causes sleepiness, or at least it has with me. I also hear gentle noises in my left ear although I am profoundly deaf. These noises occur every few months, don't frighten me, don't interfere with my sleep, but I wonder what causes them. Does anyone know?

Gentle

Are you consistently tired, or is it worse at certain times? I am most tired first thing in the morning and late afternoon.

Could it be "residual sound" you are hearing? (I don't know if you were ever hearing.) Also, could it be sounds from inside your head/body - like you are hearing body sounds. It could be your ear remodeling. I'm sure someone will come along with better suggestions!

Not me. I suspect anyone who are hearing and all of a sudden they lose their hearing of trying to listen harder and harder that makes them feel so tired.

I was born profoundly deaf and the same since i was baby. I don't feel so tired. So it has to be something to struggle trying to listen to the sounds that worn them out.

That makes sense. I definitely notice that I get tired and cranky when it is hard for me to hear. I wonder if it also contributes to being tired overall.

I don't know if I am also worn out from balancing. I still need to make my vestibular rehab appointment. Maybe that doctor will know.

Today I SLAMMED into some guy in a train station because I wasn't focused and must have been careening over the right instead of walking in a straight line like I thought I was!! I didn't even bother trying to explain why I walked into him sideways :laugh2: I just said, "Oh, sorry," like it happens all the time so he shouldn't be confused! :cool2:

I have experienced loss of energy with Meniere’s disease so, in that sense, complications from hearing loss can make you tired. While straining to hear and other initiated actions require energy, I do not believe hearing loss itself, without side affects, makes you tired on a physical level.

On the other hand, psychologically you may be feeling down and this can be interpreted as lack of energy, IMO.

If you work out and eat right, you should have no problem with energy even if you have hearing loss.

Is your blood sugar stable?

I have had my fasting blood sugar testing and was told it was fine. Due to various symptoms, I've also been tested for thyroid dysfunction, rhuematoid arthritis, lupus, dysautonomia, sleep apnea, lyme disease, etc, etc, etc. Every one of them was negative. My bloodwork looks great excelt for a few anomalies, like anticardiolipin antibodies.

I do have slightly low blood pressure and very mild anemia, which could contribute to the physical weakness I guess. I started taking a bunch of vitamins recently: Calcitrate, Biotin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D, and Quercetin. I do feel a little better than usual, but still not "normal" energy level. I take salt tablets for my blood pressure and whenever I have to be out in the sun.

Last edited:
Is your blood sugar stable?

I have had my fasting blood sugar testing and was told it was fine. Due to various symptoms, I've also been tested for thyroid dysfunction, rhuematoid arthritis, lupus, dysautonomia, sleep apnea, lyme disease, etc, etc, etc. Every one of them was negative. My bloodwork looks great excelt for a few anomalies, like anticardiolipin antibodies.

I do have slightly low blood pressure and very mild anemia, which could contribute to the physical weakness I guess. I started taking a bunch of vitamins recently: Calcitrate, Biotin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D, and Quercetin. I do feel a little better than usual, but still not "normal" energy level. I take salt tablets for my blood pressure and whenever I have to be out in the sun.

That makes sense. I definitely notice that I get tired and cranky when it is hard for me to hear. I wonder if it also contributes to being tired overall.

I don't know if I am also worn out from balancing. I still need to make my vestibular rehab appointment. Maybe that doctor will know.

Today I SLAMMED into some guy in a train station because I wasn't focused and must have been careening over the right instead of walking in a straight line like I thought I was!! I didn't even bother trying to explain why I walked into him sideways :laugh2: I just said, "Oh, sorry," like it happens all the time so he shouldn't be confused! :cool2:

Ouchie. LOL yeah my hub constatnly try to listen with his CI, but he had HA before. He always say, "boy i have a headache and i am damn tired from reading peoples lips and trying to listen to their voices all day at work" poor hub.

If you're feeling tried a lot you should have some blood work done or check out your diet . Food allergies can made a person tried.

If you're feeling tried a lot you should have some blood work done or check out your diet . Food allergies can made a person tried.

I think I have had every blood test done that exists. Thats why I thought maybe it was related to losing my hearing. I never thought about food allergies. I am highly allergic to environmental allergens, so that may be a possibility. I will look into it. Thanks!

Ouchie. LOL yeah my hub constatnly try to listen with his CI, but he had HA before. He always say, "boy i have a headache and i am damn tired from reading peoples lips and trying to listen to their voices all day at work" poor hub.

So was it easier for your husband with the HAs than the CI? I know that wasn't your point, but I'm just curious.

By the time I get home from work, I just want to watch TV and relax. I imagine it will get more tiring as my hearing gets worse. I kind of wish it would either get better or just go away already. The gradual decline is frustrating. Sorry for complaining.

So was it easier for your husband with the HAs than the CI? I know that wasn't your point, but I'm just curious.

By the time I get home from work, I just want to watch TV and relax. I imagine it will get more tiring as my hearing gets worse. I kind of wish it would either get better or just go away already. The gradual decline is frustrating. Sorry for complaining.

He has been working so hard on reading lips and listening for years. Then he got a CI when he was 34 yrs old. He starts to recognize some sounds that he hasn't heard before then pick up more sounds but still struggle to understand the sounds anyway. He still reads others lips. He likes CI because of more sounds but he dislikes the idea what CI doesn't provide some free services if his CI is broken or lost. He did lose his CI a few months ago. he can't afford 8 thousands for CI that our insurance doesnt cover it. :( he has still had back up worn out CI as of now. We are still searching for a good deal for CI. He did regret for getting a CI if he knew if he can't afford CI like he has not research on health insurance before. now it's his own risk of taking care of ONE worn out CI now.

He has been working so hard on reading lips and listening for years. Then he got a CI when he was 34 yrs old. He starts to recognize some sounds that he hasn't heard before then pick up more sounds but still struggle to understand the sounds anyway. He still reads others lips. He likes CI because of more sounds but he dislikes the idea what CI doesn't provide some free services if his CI is broken or lost. He did lose his CI a few months ago. he can't afford 8 thousands for CI that our insurance doesnt cover it. :( he has still had back up worn out CI as of now. We are still searching for a good deal for CI. He did regret for getting a CI if he knew if he can't afford CI like he has not research on health insurance before. now it's his own risk of taking care of ONE worn out CI now.

Wow, that is really expensive and sounds really frustrating. I hope he can find a good deal soon.

I used to get so tired before learning ASL. Since becoming fluent in ASL, I dont get tired like before.

It was from relying on my weakest sense to communicate with others 24/7 but now with ASL, it is more natural.

HA give me headache...

I think they would give me a headache, too. I get headaches from being in places with loud backgrounds, usually a busy train car or restaurant/bar where many conversations happen at once.

Back