Does anyone still use TTY?

Lukin

Reaction score
Just a thought, lol...

But, really, I would imagine that third world countries still use TTY, right?

umm... Right?

Would be great to hear from those who still use TTY. I must confess that my TTY is still running quite well.

It is...and yeah, I still have my old TTY or TDD.....and use it along with my VP too....

It is...and yeah, I still have my old TTY or TDD.....and use it along with my VP too....

I make all the calls that are made with my landline using a TTY/TDD and the Illinois Relay Service (dial 711) set up for VCO.

I do NOT sign so VP is not useful to me.

For cell service I use Wireless CapTel by Sprint. You do NOT have to be on Sprint to use it. The requirements are: Andorid OS at 2.2 or higher and at least 3G service (on phone and in the area where you are making the call).

I make all the calls that are made with my landline using a TTY/TDD and the Illinois Relay Service (dial 711) set up for VCO.

I do NOT sign so VP is not useful to me.

For cell service I use Wireless CapTel by Sprint. You do NOT have to be on Sprint to use it. The requirements are: Andorid OS at 2.2 or higher and at least 3G service (on phone and in the area where you are making the call).

Interesting yet intriguing! Good answer.

TTY is somewehre in my closet. TTY is filled of nicely dusts. I use computer for ip relay or videophone. :)

My TTY is collecting dust. I am now using Skype to chat with my family and friends.

I donated TTYs to Thrift store. I even threw away half functioning TTYs into trash as well. Now I'm TTY free. I use mainly VP, Videochat, Text, Email.

Catty

I donated TTYs to Thrift store. I even threw away half functioning TTYs into trash as well. Now I'm TTY free. I use mainly VP, Videochat, Text, Email.

Catty

What do you do to contact a business if your internet connection is down? Don't both VP and Videochat depend on the internet? I ask because I don't use them (am a non-signer).

^^^ Done that ^^^

Is TTY calls free?

If not, then can't beat VP.

In Illinois, and assume all other states, you can use TTY at the same rates that a voice caller would use voice. My use is with VCO and the State Relay Service.

Am under the impression that today's VP uses the Internet. So you are having to pay to pay for that service or other phone service to use it.

Videophone calls FREE anywhere in the United States, oh wait anywhere in the world, really!

Verses

Calling using TTY though telephone company... if not have right plan can cost me dearly.

What do you do to contact a business if your internet connection is down? Don't both VP and Videochat depend on the internet? I ask because I don't use them (am a non-signer).

In Illinois, and assume all other states, you can use TTY at the same rates that a voice caller would use voice. My use is with VCO and the State Relay Service.

Am under the impression that today's VP uses the Internet. So you are having to pay to pay for that service or other phone service to use it.

Videophone calls FREE anywhere in the United States, oh wait anywhere in the world, really!
Internet cable is not free. That's why I know several deaf people who do not have VRS or VPs because they can't get high speed internet cable service. No internet means no videophone.

Calling using TTY though telephone company... if not have right plan can cost me dearly.
TTY doesn't cost any more than voice land-line phone service. Relay service is free.

For signers who have good internet service, then VP is probably best.

For non-signers, TTY relay is probably the best choice.

For signers who don't have good internet service, then TTY is an option. If the user is not fluent or comfortable with written English, then it's not a good option.

Right now, most states offer the equipment (TTY, VCO, VP, etc.) and relay services for free. However, phone lines and internet connections are still the responsibility of the user. For true equal communication access, the connections (landline or cable) would have to be included.

Until then, it's not just a matter of which method is better but which method is available.

Internet cable is not free. That's why I know several deaf people who do not have VRS or VPs because they can't get high speed internet cable service. No internet means no videophone.

TTY doesn't cost any more than voice land-line phone service. Relay service is free.

Thanks Reba! That is what I was trying to get across. Although I don't happen to know anyone that does not have VRS or VPs because that can't get high speed internet service be it DSL or cable. Being a non-signer is probably a factor for me.

Thanks Reba! That is what I was trying to get across. Although I don't happen to know anyone that does not have VRS or VPs because that can't get high speed internet service be it DSL or cable. Being a non-signer is probably a factor for me.
There are still deaf people who either live in rural areas where the service isn't available, or they can't afford internet service. Obviously, they aren't posting on AD. :(

many good points here. there is no one size fits all.

"phone communication" for everyone in this world falls under two things: either you sign or you dont. either you have high speed or you dont.

it doesnt matter what equipment,company, your background is. We all have a need to communicate one way or another.

Had used a VCO screen device connected to a cell phone pre-CI years, now I use a smartphone normally including Skype or Tango on occasion.

I have TTY software on my computer that makes calls through the Internet. I no longer have a hardware TTY machine.

Even true but don't forget the benefits of having Internet comparing to only telephone line and a TTY which does only two things, send and receives text message, nothing else. You could use dial up Internet, but that's tad too slow for my standard.

With Internet, I could have free Videophone and since I always have computer, where I could do pretty much anything like cash a paper check while online instead of going to ATM or bank to cash check which is a huge savings on transportation cost. I am not kidding about this, when I receive paper check, I just cash it right here at my home and keep the check until everything goes though then destroy it.

So, the cost wise for me, still cheaper using VP. I know some locations don't have broadband service and can't get VP. I have had dealt with several angry Deafies that can't get VP and blames on VRS companies for discriminating against them which we all know is not true. I have suggested them and none of them like my suggestion, the suggestion was to relocate to where broadband is already available. I even had to deal with one Deafies that had ISP willing to extend broadband to that person's house and did warn will have poor video quality which that person don't understand. In reality, ISP generally would have declined offer to connect when cable length exceed the limits. Anyway, that person eventually complained to VRS company and ISP constantly until I assist them. The technician told me that ISP was kind to have her get connect EVEN though the cable distance limit were 4 times above the limitation (That person lives right outside of town outskirt). I had to explain to this person that there is technical limitation that VRS company and their ISP can not fix until community in her area expands to the point where it is cost effective to expand broadband in her area. The video was fairly, not too great but still can make conversation. That person finally understood and accepted. I do feel bad for this person but nothing we can do. Unfortunately for this person, best is TTY.

Cost of phone service is about the same as Broadband, don't forget that TTY relay calls though telephone line can incur long distance cost if not have right plan. VP and Internet based relay calls don't have that toll charges.

I have a TTY/TDD for 18 years now. It has not been broken down yet. I do have problems with Relay Service Operators which they are not of this world. LOL But I get through getting family members and other people who were calling me through the Relay Service. So every thing is good. I sometimes use VP just a little bit every now and then. Not too bad. :)

Back