Does anyone still use non-digital cameras?

I just bought myself an early Christmas present- a secondhand Canon 300D SLR- I know it's not a film camera but it's great having more control over my photos.

I just bought myself an early Christmas present- a secondhand Canon 300D SLR- I know it's not a film camera but it's great having more control over my photos.
Cool! :)

The first Toy Story was made on a budget of $30 million. The second skyrocketed to around $92 million. The third one was around $200 million from what I know. Technology has advanced over the last fifteen years, although I do question their budgets because it is getting pretty crazy these days.

A factor could be the voice actors. Both Tom Hanks and Tim Allen were paid $50,000 each for the first and got $5 million each for the second. According to IMDb, Tom Hanks received $15 million for the third. I didn't find anything for Tim Allen, but it's probably $15 million too as well.

So, $30 million for both actors combined is equal to the production budget for the first movie. That's eight times the budget of the original.

I wish we could get a breakdown of the budget for Toy Story 3.

Before the 1990s, $20 million was considered a big budget. Empire Strikes Back was made on a budget of $18 million. Return of the Jedi had a budget of $32 million. These were considered big projects. Now you can barely get a studio-produced movie with no special effects made at a budget of $30 million these days.

Back to the Future Part I was under $20 million while the other two parts were $40 million each. Today, they would make the same movies for $200 million each.

A lot has changed in the last 25 years.
I think that is impacted with the modern technology we have today and is more expensive to use? But the budget are quite reasonable. For the First one, it was cheaper, because it was based on what they had at the time, like you said, over the 10 year period, technology has advanced better and the third is 100% digital - the storage nowadays are cheaper than it was back then.

I think that is impacted with the modern technology we have today and is more expensive to use? But the budget are quite reasonable. For the First one, it was cheaper, because it was based on what they had at the time, like you said, over the 10 year period, technology has advanced better and the third is 100% digital - the storage nowadays are cheaper than it was back then.

yes cheaper compared to past but it's still expensive. You can't exactly put together computer parts from newegg.com :lol: for movie production. You're certainly not gonna depend your multi-million dollars film project on some low-cost computer stuff.

yes cheaper compared to past but it's still expensive. You can't exactly put together computer parts from newegg.com :lol: for movie production. You're certainly not gonna depend your multi-million dollars film project on some low-cost computer stuff.
That is true, I may have a hunch, they might have built their own secure server database - where they can store all the digital films in? Or use one of the best server database business they can give you the best storage gunatree (sp)

that is true, i may have a hunch, they might have built their own secure server database - where they can store all the digital films in?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

or use one of the best server database business they can give you the best storage gunatree (sp)
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

excatly - explain the ridiculous amount of money if it was all digital format. :hmm:

big fat salaries. executives. producers. actors/actresses. advertisement.

Who knows how they store these - I know film is stored in warehouses. :dunno:

in-house, I believe. Pixar does everything in-house. typical Steve Jobs style.

I know this is old thread, but here is hard fact, digital is cheaper nowadays, and will be even cheaper now. Remember back in 2005 the USB drive for 8MB cost 50 dollars where today you can get 8 GB for cute 15 Dollars. And with 8 GB for 15 dollars one can shoot over 10,000 images comparing to a 10 dollars film that shoots only 36 exposures and can not be re-use. Do the math, Digital is A LOT cheaper than film based.

And here is another proof that film is getting expensive.... Kodak just file bankruptcy and more will be laid off. Film making is now very expensive. Don't you realize that the film uses silver which now is expensive.

Film is HISTORY period.

Its sad that majority of Kodak park now open to public for their business needs, and changed from Kodak Park to Kodak business park. The main manufacturing complex of Kodak just closed for good (There is big sign with "For Lease" just erected over there.

Im watching the Kodak bankruptcy, thank god I never work for them.

actually - it's costlier if they used digital format because of the cost involved to needed to make it such as massive storage drives, servers, etc. Simply look at the cost of making Toy Story (100% digital) and then compare it to action movie done by film.

the major advertising firms still use film because the digital camera has its limitation when it comes to a much larger size like... billboards. But digital camera is SLOWLY getting there.

I stopped using regular cameras 10 years ago.

Now, my cell phone is my camers. It can ven take panoramic pictures. :)

I stopped using regular cameras 10 years ago.

Now, my cell phone is my camers. It can ven take panoramic pictures. :)

My EOS 20D from 2004 can do panoramic (single shoot with right len) and 360 panoramic. DSLR still powerful than newer mobile even iPhone 4s. I still have EOS 20D and it's works great even break then I can repair it.

I can't even find film anymore ....

Pidgin

Pay cash --- starve a bank.

Because it is important to the member. Kind of like a signature, something I have used before. Does it matter that much to you?

If it was their signature then I wouldn't be asking that question.

No, it doesn't "matter that much" to me. I was curious.

Does it matter that much to you?

Not anymore since 1999 and last time was disposable camera so I got first digital camera for christmas in 2000. My first digital camera was horrible, no small LCD screen, small memory limit, poor picture quality and only cost $200 so need connect to computer to extract it so I didn't use anymore in after 2 years.

I use iPhone as my primary camera but huge drawback is you can't change the picture size and turns into ugly quality so have to resize when extract to computer.

Back