Does anyone still use non-digital cameras?

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
Does anyone still take pictures with a non-digital camera with 35mm film? I think I should get rid of mine. I have a partial roll of film left in it. I'll finish that, get it processed, and then be done with it.

Does anyone still take pictures with a non-digital camera with 35mm film? I think I should get rid of mine. I have a partial roll of film left in it. I'll finish that, get it processed, and then be done with it.

I was shooting in the mountains over the weekend with my Nikon N80. Used five rolls of film.

I switched over to just digital 4 or 5 years ago.

I was shooting in the mountains over the weekend with my Nikon N80. Used five rolls of film.
What do you think of "hybrid" cameras? That is, digital (non film) but with all the manual setting and lens adjustments of an SLR?

My only digital camera right now is pretty much a point-and-click compact. I miss the depth of field that SLR cameras provide.

Well.. DSLR has finally meet the cost and quality as much as SLR with 35mm does.

DSLR have advantage to make quick preview and able to retake than rather waste good film cost. It's rare that master photographer don't waste on film. From what I seen in old day, they brought lot of film to take good photo as possible and toss most lousy photo and pick, probably 3 or 4 out of 1000 pictures to be on publish such as news or magazine.

Well.. DSLR has finally meet the cost and quality as much as SLR with 35mm does.

DSLR have advantage to make quick preview and able to retake than rather waste good film cost. It's rare that master photographer don't waste on film. From what I seen in old day, they brought lot of film to take good photo as possible and toss most lousy photo and pick, probably 3 or 4 out of 1000 pictures to be on publish such as news or magazine.
You're right about that. Sometimes it takes lots of shots to get a few "great" pictures.

That's even true for simple family and friend pictures. How many times does at least one person in a group "blink" at the wrong time? :lol:

I have few 35mm Minolta SLR cameras but don't have 35mm films. This photo images are very good but slides images are loss of color.

I have a 35mm SLR I still love. I have my point and shoot digital too that I use for everyday stuff, since film isn't cheap and yeah it takes a lot of shots to get one keeper, but I still think nothing compares to real film still. There are to many distortions between computer screens, printers, who is developing (if you don't do your own) etc.... in digital, esp if you can't afford a nice DSLR. (Which I can't) I am esp fond of manual black and whites. If you did all the focus and manual stuff before hand it is harder for walmart photo to mess up!

I still use a 35mm camera. It's a cheapo, Keystone Easy Shot 500x Electronic Autowind.

It's pretty good and easy to use. Don't do much photography. We had a great Nikon, but I'm not exactly sure what kind. My father had a lot of photography stuff and when I was born he was a professional Photographer and had his own studio.

I don't but we still have 2 film cameras - Canon and Leica. It's my dad's hobby. he's an excellent photographer. I learned how to process film in dark room at high school photography club. very cool experience. I will post it later.

I think you should keep it in case you may need it later. lot of professional photographers still use film for certain thing because digital cameras do have limitation.

Nothing can beat film camera for quality and size yet. There is one but it's ridiculously expensive.

my mom does.
it might be good to still keep it though so you can have a bit of flexibility with cameras - say you want to take along something "easier" or maybe less expensive somewhere...
just my thought....

I'm not a very good photographer, but I did work for a while as a photographers' assistant for a clothing website- I mostly retouched things on photoshop and did general practical work, laying out the clothes etc. We used a Canon EOS 500D I believe- I fell in love with it. A friend of mine has a Nikon DSLR but I was a fish out of water.

ALL my childhood/teen photos are on a cheap film camera and usually feature my thumb.

In high school art class I took a brief photography class. I don't know what the camera was but we played around with the aperture etc and developed our own photos- I took some of the old school buildings which were developed by the teacher (with us watching, as best you could in a darkroom!) and turned out sepia toned with a grain around the edges- I thought it was fantastic. It was great having the control over the size, exposure- yes you can change it in Photoshop in 3 clicks but it's not so physical or tactile.

If I had the money I'd be tempted to set up a darkroom, but me and dangerous chemicals don't mix well. I currently use a cheapish Samsung point and click and am despairing trying to take photos of the jewellery I make for my website- I built a lightbox and bigger pieces are ok but small earring studs just blur. I wonder if a non digital SLR would be any use for me. The thing I had to watch, with the DSLR is that what you see on the screen of the camera is not always what you get on the computer.

I don't but we still have 2 film cameras - Canon and Leica. It's my dad's hobby. he's an excellent photographer. I learned how to process film in dark room at high school photography club. very cool experience. I will post it later.

I think you should keep it in case you may need it later. lot of professional photographers still use film for certain thing because digital cameras do have limitation.

Nothing can beat film camera for quality and size yet. There is one but it's ridiculously expensive.

+1 Same here, mate. Did Black and White photograpghy (and digital) class in grade 9 and 10 in high school, it was fun. :)

I took several photography and photojournalism courses while I was in the Navy. We started with the very basics of photography in theory, field, and lab. I felt like I was Matthew Brady when I hauled around my camera and gear in a large wooden box (it looked like a small coffin.) I had to set up the tripod, attach the large camera, crank out the bellows, load the plates, and drape the black cloth over my head.

From that I advanced to the Speed Graflex. I felt like I was in a black and white movie. :lol:

Here's a picture of a guy with one, if you're not familiar with it:

The Graflex Speed Graphic FAQ

I finally worked my way up to 35mm with absolutely nothing automatic on it. At least I could carry that case on one shoulder! :lol:

I loved the lab work; all that dodging and burning goin' on. :giggle:

Most of our work was black and white prints. We did a few color slide projects.

We made our own camera flash shields, and dodging and burning tools. Had to carry around boxes of gel filters, different speed films, and lots of other equipment. It's a good thing I was young and in shape!

Our student darkrooms at one school were former cells for German WWII prisoners. It was a little spooky.

my mom does.
it might be good to still keep it though so you can have a bit of flexibility with cameras - say you want to take along something "easier" or maybe less expensive somewhere...
just my thought....

yep... especially post-EMP strike :lol:

I took several photography and photojournalism courses while I was in the Navy. We started with the very basics of photography in theory, field, and lab. I felt like I was Matthew Brady when I hauled around my camera and gear in a large wooden box (it looked like a small coffin.) I had to set up the tripod, attach the large camera, crank out the bellows, load the plates, and drape the black cloth over my head.

From that I advanced to the Speed Graflex. I felt like I was in a black and white movie. :lol:

Here's a picture of a guy with one, if you're not familiar with it:

The Graflex Speed Graphic FAQ

I finally worked my way up to 35mm with absolutely nothing automatic on it. At least I could carry that case on one shoulder! :lol:

I loved the lab work; all that dodging and burning goin' on. :giggle:

Most of our work was black and white prints. We did a few color slide projects.

We made our own camera flash shields, and dodging and burning tools. Had to carry around boxes of gel filters, different speed films, and lots of other equipment. It's a good thing I was young and in shape!

Our student darkrooms at one school were former cells for German WWII prisoners. It was a little spooky.

I had to google Matthew Brady :lol:

Kodak stopped making these Kodachrome films. They have retired them, I think they had last batch made last year.

Time to switch to Digital. Even though it is true that it may be cheaper that way but once the stock deplete then the cost will skyrocket.

I haven't seen 35mm film for years. Sticking with Digital technology.

I still have the first digital camera where a floppy disk was used. I now own 2 digital cameras with sd cards. I also still have my very first camera that I won from a movie theatre door prize when I was a baby in my mother's arm :) She used it with a care until I was old enough to know how to use the camera. So I have been taking pictures over 45 years! Photography is in my blood.

If drop film in water. Good bye!

Drop memory-card in water. Take it out and let it dry. Then insert in the driver. Ta-da! It's still alive!

This is not true, I have accidently dropped film in water and it came out just fine.. That is IF after the film has exposed and dropped in water. Do not take it out, just leave it there and take to processor and they will take care of it.

Anyway, this is pointless because films will eventually be gone forever, perhaps in a year or two from now.

If drop film in water. Good bye!

Drop memory-card in water. Take it out and let it dry. Then insert in the driver. Ta-da! It's still alive!

Back