Does anyone really think hybrids are worth the money?

moveright

Reaction score
You know, the Honda FIT gets better mileage than both the hybrid accord AND the hybrid civic PLUS it costs less!

I read somewhere a few months ago that in the end, hybrids are not worth the money.

Hybrids

My husband snorts when I speak of purchasing a Prius. He says I will never make it through our mud puddles. But SeekGeo has one and he loves it!

:gossip: I am listening!

Lantana

The problem with hybrid vehicles is that their reselling value is much, much lower than a gas-powered vehicle.

If you don't believe me, then look it up.

All I know that Hybirds cars are great from what I was been told my friends and my brothers that knows about cars and work with them. Hybirds cars save lot of gas then regular car does. I know hybird cars are more expensive. I am sure they are making more and creating more new cars in the furture to help save lot of gas.

The problem with hybrid vehicles is that their reselling value is much, much lower than a gas-powered vehicle.

If you don't believe me, then look it up.

Funny, I remember when the Prius first came out and it was hyped all over the place. There was such a waiting period for a new one that one would actually pay more for a used one since one could get it right away.

I believe those days have come and gone...

Hybrids

Well, the typical Deaf Sheep only go for Hondas these days. I march to a diferent drummer. I make my own decisions and do not follow what the herd does. (Or whatever a group of sheep is called, I know it's not a "herd", heh,heh)

Lantana

The hybrids isn't worth the money in the long run because you have to pay several thousands of dollars for new batteries when they wear out after 5-10 years of use. They need to create something that doesn't cost much money for matience and plus save gas, too.

I just plain don't like any of them. I have an accord V6 and the mileage is not too bad, I can live with it.

It's not bad enough to make me buy a hybrid car though. of course when they come out with the zero emmision hydrogen cars, I may consider. now there's an idea.

The hybrids isn't worth the money in the long run because you have to pay several thousands of dollars for new batteries when they wear out after 5-10 years of use. They need to create something that doesn't cost much money for matience and plus save gas, too.

It's like replace laptop after it's outdate.

Repair are high costy if something gone wrong.

Only I can told that hybrid are great for in city where are often slow or stop too often, that way to less spend on gas.

It's like replace laptop after it's outdate.

Repair are high costy if something gone wrong.

Only I can told that hybrid are great for in city where are often slow or stop too often, that way to less spend on gas.

Well, how many people can afford paying $10,000 worth of batteries? A person with average income can't. Toyota Prius or other true hybrids are not meant for people with average income. Laptops don't cost much to replace after they wear out. Not many people have $10,000 to spend on batteries for the hybrid. Gasoline powered cars are lot cheaper to work on if you take good care of it and if it's a reliable model.

Well, the typical Deaf Sheep only go for Hondas these days. I march to a diferent drummer. I make my own decisions and do not follow what the herd does. (Or whatever a group of sheep is called, I know it's not a "herd", heh,heh)

Lantana

Not a herd but either drove or flock. :)

batteries do wear out after around 10 years life span. I own a 2006 Prius and has clocked more than 55,000 miles. Toyota has set voltage and current draw to lower limit and ensure the voltage capacity is at 100 but actually the battery is at 80% and also at empty level at 0% but actually its at 20%.

I dont plan to keep this car after 6 years. I will sell it and buy another one.

Yes, it has saved us a lot of money in gas costs and traveling time in HOV lanes as a single occupant. I love CA traffic laws.

I had a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid that I really liked. A series of unfortunate events caused me to trade it in Monday for an '07 Honda CR-V. Back in June, my mom was diagnosed with cancer and I put about 8k miles on the car over the summer driving back and forth to Missouri. While I was in Missouri, the car got hit by a pontoon boat being pulled by an RV. The car was fixed, but with the miles (121k) and the accident, my resale value was going downhill fast so I decided to trade up while I could still get some money out of it.

Love the new CR-V, though. Mileage is nowhere near what I got with my hybrid (47-52 mpg) but I love the all-wheel drive and sitting up high. Plus it's new. I've always bought used before.

A hybrid car will be worn out by using 5 years! :eek:

A hybrid car will be worn out by using 5 years! :eek:

Scoffs, thats not true. Where do you get these facts from? Guess? Assumption? A Canadian taxi driver owns Prius and has drove this car for three years and it has traveled around 15 years worth in stop and go traffic conditions.

Toyota took this car away and gave driver brand new car for free, so they can strip apart and research everything, on every parts for wear and tear. Improve design in next hybrid model. Do Google and find out.

Toyotas and Hondas are well known for longevity and reliability

Scoffs, thats not true. Where do you get these facts from? Guess? Assumption? A Canadian taxi driver owns Prius and has drove this car for three years and it has traveled around 15 years worth in stop and go traffic conditions.

Toyota took this car away and gave driver brand new car for free, so they can strip apart and research everything, on every parts for wear and tear. Improve design in next hybrid model. Do Google and find out.

Toyotas and Hondas are well known for longevity and reliability

That's a interesting sources. Does it effect in any car companies - taking other people's cars and provide them free cars if they want to research before implying into newer models for our better future?

After I read on some posts about hybrid, is it worth for money to own hybrid then my short answer is no...

I prefer to own car with gas because hybrid has limited maximum speed and too complicated to fix it when battery was screwed up, plus their batteries are different from non-hybrid car, cannot share the jumper cable as well.

After I read on some posts about hybrid, is it worth for money to own hybrid then my short answer is no...

I prefer to own car with gas because hybrid has limited maximum speed and too complicated to fix it when battery was screwed up, plus their batteries are different from non-hybrid car, cannot share the jumper cable as well.

maximum speed? Do u need to drive fast in US highways? 80mph 90mph 100 mph 200mph? Nice to have a W12 powered bugatti Venyron that is capable of exceeding more than 270mph, I guess. In reality, you are not allowed to exceed posted speed limit by law in US. 65 or around that is more than powerful enough in Hybrid cars. I drive 75 all the time on US highways and is very good.

Now batteries! yes they are different as they are designed to jampacked as much as they can into tight spaces. They have 10 years warranty on battery pack. Who needs to worry too much about it for 10 years?

Jumper cable DO WORK in Hybrid cars. Toyota Prius operations manual states that.

Back