Does anyone else forget there is sound in the world?

Anthropomorphic

Reaction score
Does anyone else forget there is sound in the world or am I just weird? I notice lately I'm forgetting sound exists. The other day I was going into a room where my friend was sitting and he turned around and said "Hey." I asked him how he knew I was in there and he said because he heard me. That was a bit of a 'duh' moment for me. :giggle: I also tend to slam a lot of doors, cupboards, set things down hard, etc., and am always getting yelled at for doing so and being too loud. I just forget everything makes a sound. Does anyone else do this? :hmm:

Yes, I was talking with my hearing boss who learned ASL so well to a point that we weren't using our voices to communicate. We often were talking about a lot of issues, having serious and friendly discussions about things that a close friends should be.

One time when we had a break alone in lounge at where I work, we were having a conversation about something interesting. Some hearing person came walking in, and mentioned that it was QUIET in that room. My boss suddenly realized that we weren't QUIET and the sign language were LOUD! LOL!

Are you late deafened?

I can hear some with my hearing aid in my right ear. Otherwise, I can also feel sound.

I can feel vibrations off the front window when either of my two hearing dogs barks at something outside.

My deaf dog and I just watch because we know there is sound.

I do understand it is quite and adjustment if you are late deaf.

Are you late deafened?

I can hear some with my hearing aid in my right ear. Otherwise, I can also feel sound.

I can feel vibrations off the front window when either of my two hearing dogs barks at something outside.

My deaf dog and I just watch because we know there is sound.

I do understand it is quite and adjustment if you are late deaf.

I am late deafened. I was hearing, then became HOH a few years ago, and now am completely deaf. I do feel vibrations even when a lot of hearing people don't feel it. But I tend to not think about the vibrations unless I'm intentionally feeling for them or something that lasts a long time like when a loud song plays. But when I shut cabinets I just don't think about it.

Anthropormorphic, I like your signature line on the bottom-

I'm not given the chance to forget there is sound. Since I live with my hearing family and none of them sign with me it's very hard.If I don't catch what someone in the family is saying, they don't just tap me, they just jump at me or hit me. Son is usually a lot better. MIL just continues on like I can hear everything. She's the one I usually act like "yeah, uh huh, okay, umm hmm, sure...".

:aw:I'm glad you're on here, Kristina. I enjoy reading your posts and learning from you:)

I'm not given the chance to forget there is sound. Since I live with my hearing family and none of them sign with me it's very hard.If I don't catch what someone in the family is saying, they don't just tap me, they just jump at me or hit me. Son is usually a lot better. MIL just continues on like I can hear everything. She's the one I usually act like "yeah, uh huh, okay, umm hmm, sure...".

They jump at you or hit you? Stand up for yourself.

I had enough when I was a kid. If anybody jumps at me or hits me, they won't want to try it again.

They jump at you or hit you? Stand up for yourself.

I had enough when I was a kid. If anybody jumps at me or hits me, they won't want to try it again.

:gpost::h5:...You said it, Botti....My boys always get in my range of vision before talking to me....if one of them "hit me or stomped at me"...I'd be pissed off!...Very disrespectful in my book!

Many, many times, people have tapped me on the shoulder when my back was turned and I was in concentration with something else. Almost gave me heart atacks.....

:gpost::h5:...You said it, Botti....My boys always get in my range of vision before talking to me....if one of them "hit me or stomped at me"...I'd be pissed off!...Very disrespectful in my book!

Many, many times, people have tapped me on the shoulder when my back was turned and I was in concentration with something else. Almost gave me heart atacks.....

I've had that happen, but I usually just think I've gotten way into something, then when I am tapped I jump out of my skin. I've had this happen in a restaurant when I was talking to my mate and a friend happened to see my vehicle was there and stopped by. She snuck up behind me and tapped on my shoulder I nearly flew out of the chair. Everyone was looking at me like WTF is wrong with you?

Well - the person who hits me most often is MIL. I have to be careful on how I react or we don't have a place to live. It is getting that volatile around here and I don't want to "rock the boat" per se. Hubby does tell her that all she need to do is tap, but she doesn't listen when he's not around. It's the neighbors next door and across the street that jump at me. These ladies do not deserve to be called "ladies", but since they are very good friends of MIL's, I have to stay silent again. Hubby is doing his best to find a way for us to move away again. He needs to finish his classes at the tech school and get his certification or whatever. It's A/C tech or something like that. After that, he has an offer to go to someplace in Texas and make double of what he is making now. He also just finished his forklift certification so that is in his favor.

Well - the person who hits me most often is MIL. I have to be careful on how I react or we don't have a place to live. It is getting that volatile around here and I don't want to "rock the boat" per se. Hubby does tell her that all she need to do is tap, but she doesn't listen when he's not around. It's the neighbors next door and across the street that jump at me. These ladies do not deserve to be called "ladies", but since they are very good friends of MIL's, I have to stay silent again. Hubby is doing his best to find a way for us to move away again. He needs to finish his classes at the tech school and get his certification or whatever. It's A/C tech or something like that. After that, he has an offer to go to someplace in Texas and make double of what he is making now. He also just finished his forklift certification so that is in his favor.

:hmm: Actually, I taught my stepmother not to hit me when I was 11. My father had been an unarmed combat instructor in the Army so he had an advantage I couldn't overcome.

I just hate being hit so much, the consequences wouldn't bother me.

Can you get an income based apartment in WPB so you can at least move out of her house?

Can you get an income based apartment in WPB so you can at least move out of her house?

There are no apartments large enough for 5 people. Also, we do not qualify. All of the Mexicans, Haitians, and other immigrants and illegals have taken them.

It's A/C tech or something like that. After that, he has an offer to go to someplace in Texas and make double of what he is making now. He also just finished his forklift certification so that is in his favor.

Texas sounds like a good place to start anew, eh? Would you all go if the offer is still open by the time he completes his classes?

Texas sounds like a good place to start anew, eh? Would you all go if the offer is still open by the time he completes his classes?

Most definitely! I know I don't really want another cross-county type move, but it is getting harder and harder to be here. Also, Florida is more and more expensive.

I'm seriously considering moving myself if I get a fulltime offer from USDA. I will likely stay at my duty station during the week and come home on weekends until I can find a place for me and my DD. We'll likely get an apartment until I can find a house to rent.

My father has been legally blind all of his life, and now he is slowly loosing his hearing. He has just recently been diagnosed with alzheimers. And the thing with him is, he doesn't like to be touched at all. He doesn't see me trying to get his attention, and the louder I get he accuses me of yelling at me. My mom and his brothers, he the eldest, have tried to get him HA. But he refuses saying that he doesn't need them. I don't think he willing or able, due to his vision, to learn ASL. What are my mom & I to do?

Most definitely! I know I don't really want another cross-county type move, but it is getting harder and harder to be here. Also, Florida is more and more expensive.

Well, sometimes, you have to move a long way, so you and family can have a better quality of life. Besides, you husband would like to earn more money to support his family without relying on MIL all the time. Who knows maybe there is a great school for your son to attend if he wants. Would be interesting to see if there's a school that can accommodate your daughter.

Which city in Texas, do you know?

Back