Does anybody live in Florida?

I live in northeast FL for now and its so damn hot now :)

ahh, i used to live in clearwater for almost 8 yrs. i have a lot of friends live in fl such as miami, naple, tampa, penscola, and other cities. i like going to south beach for wild nights !

man, it is old ! sadly since i got married, i havent gone to south beach. :( but i now travel around world with my wife... :D

How do you manage to live with the high cost of living in Florida? I am curious if it's expensive at times?

I have read opinions online and they vary. Many people did talk about the high cost of living and how it's hard to buy house. Plus that taxes are high, too.

Florida used to be one of most-sought places to live, but that is a different story now. People, even the natives are moving out of Florida - whether or not by choice - they cannot afford to keep up with the higher taxes and stuff like that. Most of them are moving to nearby states like northern Florida, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina and Tennessee.

Northern Florida is somewhat the most affordable to live in the whole state. But it is not going to be affordable any longer.

I am curious why the high taxes? Sorry, I really have no idea why we need to tax homes we purchase to live year after year. I am thinking that if they lower the taxes, people wouldn't leave so often. Is this not a possibility?

Hmmm ... I don't know but during your time, living in Clearwater area I also went to SPJC (Clearwater but mostly St Petersburg) for majoring in Accounting and also took ASL non-credit course back in late 80's. I used to work at Friends of the Deaf Center in Financial Dept from '89-'91. Also used to work at Deaf Bingo on Saturday for a few months, making and serving food with my ex-hearing husband. I used to work at TGI Friday's as a cashier, hostess and part time waitress. So all these were back in last half of 80's so am I might be any familiar to you yet???

FYI I'm orginally from Chicago tho.

:hmm: do i know you ? i went to SPJC(clearwater campus) in 1986 - 1990. i moved back to atl in 1992.

Florida used to be one of most-sought places to live, but that is a different story now. People, even the natives are moving out of Florida - whether or not by choice - they cannot afford to keep up with the higher taxes and stuff like that. Most of them are moving to nearby states like northern Florida, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina and Tennessee.

Northern Florida is somewhat the most affordable to live in the whole state. But it is not going to be affordable any longer.

:werd:

I'm leaving in a year or so. I'm moving back to Maryland in a year or so. I don't about Northern FL being more affordable, but I believe your statement that no place in FL will be affordable any longer. Between taxes and insurance, it's killing alot of people.

I am considering to move in Florida -- I want to taste, experience, feel, touch, smell and see Florida myself. I want to see if, I can stand up with its hurricanes, high taxes, and all ....

My challenge is to experience Florida. :)

I am considering to move in Florida -- I want to taste, experience, feel, touch, smell and see Florida myself. I want to see if, I can stand up with its hurricanes, high taxes, and all ....

My challenge is to experience Florida. :)

i think moving from Alaska to Florida might cause a sudden lapse into hyperthermia followed by immediate, painful death. you should consider moving to a transition state with a more temperate climate first.

i think moving from Alaska to Florida might cause a sudden lapse into hyperthermia followed by immediate, painful death. you should consider moving to a transition state with a more temperate climate first.

Yeah, right. :rofl: I am a traveller myself - I travelled to several states in the past and now I want to try Florida. :P

fine. travel to Florida. but don't stay outdoors longer than an hour or two at a time and make sure you always refrigerate yourself afterwards in the frozen foods section of the nearest supermarket.

Live in the northeast Florida. Actually, it's rather affordable living here. Only in some places they are expensive aka southeast and such. My wife and I love it here... also the deaf community is gradually growing since then, too.

No state taxes and nice weather year-round (ofc)! There are many things you can do here unlike it does in the Midwest or some places in the States.

Speaking of hurricanes, it doesn't scare me really because it's rare having direct hits here in the northeast Fla... last time it did was back in 1962. But we know it can happen anytime, however.

There is hurricane-prone in the south, southwest, east and west (Gulf). Only north and northeast are the safest areas from hurricanes, historically... but we do have the after effects from them, however.

There are certain people moved to the north from south due to those powerful hurricanes they experienced and knew that the north area is the safer area from them, much so. There is a friend who lost her home in south Fla back from the 2004 hurricanes and moved to Michigan (still)... but guess what? She plans to move back to Florida when she has the money. hmm

People are prone to think of hurricanes, wildfires, earthquakes, crimes, etc; but people simply forget something else, too that there is always danger everywhere no matter where they live.

Also I recalled when I met some Californians at Gally and asked them as if they are scared or considered of those earthquakes and wildfires. They said nope and loved their state. But then I understand them after moving to Fla from Indiana. Quite ironically maybe... one month before I moved to Fla there was a powerful tornado started from within an hour away from our old home in Indiana.

Just little sample to ponder... one lady ad her son moved to Kansas (or Iowa) from east Los Angeles where it had many gangs and crimes... within few months later her son was killed by a gang in a very small town in the Midwest. She then realized that it ain't safe anywhere those days. True so!

Live in the northeast Florida. Actually, it's rather affordable living here. Only in some places they are expensive aka southeast and such. My wife and I love it here... also the deaf community is gradually growing since then, too.

No state taxes and nice weather year-round (ofc)! There are many things you can do here unlike it does in the Midwest or some places in the States.

Speaking of hurricanes, it doesn't scare me really because it's rare having direct hits here in the northeast Fla... last time it did was back in 1962. But we know it can happen anytime, however.

There is hurricane-prone in the south, southwest, east and west (Gulf). Only north and northeast are the safest areas from hurricanes, historically... but we do have the after effects from them, however.

There are certain people moved to the north from south due to those powerful hurricanes they experienced and knew that the north area is the safer area from them, much so. There is a friend who lost her home in south Fla back from the 2004 hurricanes and moved to Michigan (still)... but guess what? She plans to move back to Florida when she has the money. hmm

People are prone to think of hurricanes, wildfires, earthquakes, crimes, etc; but people simply forget something else, too that there is always danger everywhere no matter where they live.

Also I recalled when I met some Californians at Gally and asked them as if they are scared or considered of those earthquakes and wildfires. They said nope and loved their state. But then I understand them after moving to Fla from Indiana. Quite ironically maybe... one month before I moved to Fla there was a powerful tornado started from within an hour away from our old home in Indiana.

Just little sample to ponder... one lady ad her son moved to Kansas (or Iowa) from east Los Angeles where it had many gangs and crimes... within few months later her son was killed by a gang in a very small town in the Midwest. She then realized that it ain't safe anywhere those days. True so!

Yeah, I agree with everything you just said. Very true -- nothing is safe anywhere. :)

Jacksonville lady here! Been here since 1974 from the Carolinas....actually, hurricanes hit the Carolinas a lot harder than they do Florida....and Jacksonville has been very, very lucky with hurricanes!

Give me a choice of hurricanes or earthquakes, and I'll take hurricanes.

Cost of living is high everywhere...not just Florida.

Back