doctors cannot ask about guns

Status
Not open for further replies.
wrong. many states do not require firearm registrations.

They don't? I thought registration was required in all of them. For states where the registration isn't required, then that may be a valid concern. Yours isn't one of those, and you seem to be primarily railing against your own state's laws (or potential laws), so I was mostly responding to that.

it's more like "Patient A's father declined discussion of gun safety" and it would raise a concern.

Do you have any evidence or proof to substantiate this claim, or is this pure fiction on your part? Again, as already mentioned, in your state, it wouldn't matter what the note was, because your police wouldn't ever see it, according to the documentation you provided!

Going by 2007 numbers, 398 (so, roughly 1 per day) if you only include children 0-14, and 3067 (roughly 8.5 per day) if you include up to 19. How many deaths per day should be acceptable?

Tragic. And how many children die per day in traffic-related incidents?

there you go.

why? what for? Is there anything wrong with defending the very concept of Constitutional rights?

wrong. not all states have licensure laws.

You are not defending Constitutional Rights. You are being nonsensical.

What states can you purchase a gun legally and not have to license it?

there you go.

So, don't worry about the ones that die from gunshots. They are expendable. Oh, well.

You are doing it again you insensitive clod.

there you go.

There I go what? Understand this: Doctors are (or should be) smart people, and are capable of trying to help parents with a number of different issues at the same time. False dichotomies simply make you look silly, rather than supporting your position.

So, don't worry about the ones that die from gunshots. They are expendable. Oh, well.

Right, those number only included deaths, not injuries. I couldn't find numbers on injuries.

They don't? I thought registration was required in all of them. For states where the registration isn't required, then that may be a valid concern. Yours isn't one of those, and you seem to be primarily railing against your own state's laws (or potential laws), so I was mostly responding to that.
nope.

Do you have any evidence or proof to substantiate this claim, or is this pure fiction on your part? Again, as already mentioned, in your state, it wouldn't matter what the note was, because your police wouldn't ever see it, according to the documentation you provided!
Do you have any knowledge in what goes on during background checking by police?

and do you realize that in the wake of college shootings especially Virginia Tech Shooting... the law was changed to include outpatient commitment to database and some more. Mayor Bloomberg was a drive behind this.

You are not defending Constitutional Rights. You are being nonsensical.

What states can you purchase a gun legally and not have to license it?

Vermont for starter. just a few hours away.

I am much more concerned about gun rights because of parents being unable to protect their families from intruders. I am much more concerned about father not coming home tonight because he was unable to get a gun to protect himself from criminal on the way home.

and I am much more concerned about traffic than gun when it comes to children.

You're doing it again... putting words in my mouth.

and do you realize that in the wake of college shootings especially Virginia Tech Shooting... the law was changed to include outpatient commitment to database and some more. Mayor Bloomberg was a drive behind this.

I'm familiar with HIPAA laws, and I looked at all the links you've supplied so far. The only documentation you've provided indicating that your state has any access to medical history is the mental health form release that you posted. And that form specifically only includes information on if you've been admitted, committed or treated for a mental disorder at various locations that I'm too lazy to go back and look at again. That's it. So if you've never been admitted/committed/treated for mental disorders, then (unless there's some other forms authorizing release of other records, which you've not linked to) the police are not legally allowed to have access to any medical records in regards to you.

nope.

You have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to committment proceedings. Just stop before you look even more foolish than you already do.

I have a state criminal background check and a BFI check done every 5 years. I have to. I don't worry about it in the least, because I have not done, nor am I doing anything wrong. And it is well known that I keep a gun in my home. That doesn't concern me, either. It is legal and I have no cause to worry about it.

I'm familiar with HIPAA laws, and I looked at all the links you've supplied so far. The only documentation you've provided indicating that your state has any access to medical history is the mental health form release that you posted. And that form specifically only includes information on if you've been admitted, committed or treated for a mental disorder at various locations that I'm too lazy to go back and look at again. That's it. So if you've never been admitted/committed/treated for mental disorders, then (unless there's some other forms authorizing release of other records, which you've not linked to) the police are not legally allowed to have access to any medical records in regards to you.

And if you have been treated for specific disorders, like psychotic disorders, they will not allow you to have a gun. I think that is a good thing for us all, personally.

I am much more concerned about gun rights because of parents being unable to protect their families from intruders. I am much more concerned about father not coming home tonight because he was unable to get a gun to protect himself from criminal on the way home.

But you're not arguing in favor of anything that can protect your right to own/acquire a firearm. Your solution is "don't let doctors ask people if they own guns." That isn't going to help anything, especially the situation you've described your state as being in. If the chief of police is really looking for any and all excuses to stop you from owning a gun, then you need to address that problem, not the unrelated symptoms.

How in the hell is discussing gun safety with a patient going to prevent anyone from protecting their family? You just are not making sense, Jiro.

And speaking of intruders, a gun in the home is several times more likely to injure or kill a member of the family than an intruder.

You have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to committment proceedings. Just stop before you look even more foolish than you already do.

I have a state criminal background check and a BFI check done every 5 years. I have to. I don't worry about it in the least, because I have not done, nor am I doing anything wrong. And it is well known that I keep a gun in my home. That doesn't concern me, either. It is legal and I have no cause to worry about it.

I would caution against the "if you didn't do anything wrong you don't have to worry mentality" that may or may not be unconsciously seeping through here. We do have constitutional protections against unwarranted search and seizure, so any sort of excessive or unnecessary searches/checks shouldn't be allowed.

Not that this case actually is an example of that, but that argument is a pet peeve of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back