Doctors Accidentally Leave Foot-Long Instrument In Woman

Loghead

Reaction score
PRAGUE, Czech Republic - It took five long months for a Czech woman to discover the reason for her pain: Doctors had left a foot-long medical tool inside her abdomen.

This month, doctors at a clinic in the southeastern town of Ivancice discovered their colleagues had forgotten to remove a spatula-like surgical instrument from the woman following gynecological surgery in September.

Top regional official Michal Hasek apologized Zdenka Kopeckova, 66, and said Monday that the region, which is in charge of the clinic, plans to compensate her.

Clinic head Jaromir Hrubes blamed "a series of individual failures" and said four employees had been punished.

CT24 news television reported that the woman, who complained repeatedly to her doctors about the pain, plans to sue.

Czech doctors forget 1-foot long instrument in woman's abdomen; mistake found 5 months later

I wonder how you can forget to leave an object that big inside a patient. :confused:

By the way, I just realized how dirty the title sounds. :P You're not the only one. :)

I know in the US, they are supposed to count instruments and make sure that does happen before they close the incision .

One reason not to trust doctors. If I get a surgery, I will ask them a ton of questions to be sure they didn't leave anything behind or I will sue them and bankrupt the hospital. ;)

I have a friend that works in the OR and said sometimes they accidentally throw nipples away when they do breast reductions.:shock:

High medical costs are results of medical errors.....

Because of medical errors made by doctors and hospitals, they have to protect themselves by obtaining malpractice insurances. Insurance companies know how frequent the errors will be, so the malpractice premiums are high. Due to high cost of premiums, they pass it along to patients. They take more patients to make ends meet. More patients means less time and more errors. I guess it is all about money not about quality these days.

I have a friend that works in the OR and said sometimes they accidentally throw nipples away when they do breast reductions.:shock:

WHAT??? :shock:

How could they accidentally throw them away? I mean, its not hard to think of a nipple as a piece of trash????

Eek. That's awful. :(

This is why I could never go into the medical profession. The stakes are too high. The consequences are too big for something that would just be seen as human error in so many other jobs.

We are human and we make mistakes but when a surgeon is human and makes mistakes it can kill a patient or disable a patient for life.

I know, I was shocked! They wrap them up, so sometimes they mistake them for trash.:shock:

Okay...well....I can understand how it could be mistaken for a trash but....BUT.... do the person leave the operating room without nipples and now they got a "bald" breasts? (I crack myself up with this one....)

or do they actually go into the trash to find those darn nipples? Are you saying they threw them out accidently and are gone for good?

Okay...well....I can understand how it could be mistaken for a trash but....BUT.... do the person leave the operating room without nipples and now they got a "bald" breasts? (I crack myself up with this one....)

or do they actually go into the trash to find those darn nipples? Are you saying they threw them out accidently and gone for good?

They all give to dig for them. The person never said if they leave "bald" or not.:lol:

Back