Doctor visit

i can help you to find about ADA.You must type Civil Right 1964 on yahoo search and you learn about laws.. Why not you call insurance company whether doctor accept or not..

A doctor here in Cincinnati informed a friend that "small practices" weren't required to provide interpreters, and she should go to the university hospital complex, where you get to sit and wait for hours.

im been gone doctor's visit include family practice and neurology dr's office but im not ask for interpreter with me at doctor's office but my mom talk with doctor and my mom explain what dr says if my mom busy they i will intives interrupter with me to dr's office

well, cloudi? it been since Dec and you haven't saying anything after you get thing straight out? tell me? We're thrill to hear about your situation.

does that clinic have social workers? I would demand to meet up with one and see what the heck they can do if not..sue that dr. I have had similair but with ER runs and I am pissed off.

A doctor here in Cincinnati informed a friend that "small practices" weren't required to provide interpreters, and she should go to the university hospital complex, where you get to sit and wait for hours.

Depends on how small the practice is.

You need to immediately contact this agency !! DBTAC Southwest ADA Center

I have the same situation as your sister. My doctor refused to provider an interpreter. I have a doctor for over 20 years. She thinks, writing the notes would be profit communication access. No way !! Medical terms are very important for the Deaf patients.

Please contact Disability Law Center in your state. Wow, your sister's doctor definetly broke ADA law !

Cloudi,

She's right. You need to contact ADA law. No doctor should deny anyone who have disabilities. Don't walk away. Please fight and that doctor should be educated about the ADA. It is unfortunate when people who have disability don't use ADA law. So please use it. Call the ADA law office. k?

That is why, many Deaf people went to E.R. instead of seeing the doctors due to lack of interpreters. E.R. defineitly provider an interpreters from the hospitals.

Unfortunately this isn't true not for me it isn't, I had a hard time getting an interpreter when my children and I go into the emergency room , , ER staffs mostly makes excuses saying they couldn't get an interpreter during the late hours, this is bull because both the doctor and patient need to be able to communicate with each other in order for a doctor to understand the patent's needs and medical issues, etc and how am I to understand the doctor without an interpreter present?...It became to difficult for me to understand the doctor even when he wrote it down on a piece of paper, I couldn't understand his writing, it wasn't clearly to be able to read it so I stopped going to emergency room unless otherwise, then I will go into emergency room, but normally I call for an appointment and when I do , I let them know ahead of time to set up an interpreter before I come in for the appointment, it works well for me and my children than going into the emergency room where there is a lack of finding an interpreter when it required by the deaf patient like myself....

And for local clinics near my home does not or will not pay for an interpreter, so I went elsewhere, that does offer interpreters and pay for it with no problem at all......

HI
I want to ask u few questions, cloudi
1. Have u spoken with her or his supervior or boss in malpractic clinic about doctor's wrong comments?
2. Have u spoken the lawyer who work with Ada?
3. Have u filed the malpractice againist the doctor?
4. Have u went to deaf services that someone can help u with ADA information?

Before you go to see DR, you should call or read the book of insurance to see if they willing to pay full or half and dr pay another half or nothing before you make an appt with doctor.
IF insurance said it's DR' responsible to get one and pay full then u can call dr to make sure that she or he willing to pay full and set up an appt.

I just hate that DRs or Professional people always avoid to get an interpreter for deaf people cuz it s expenisve hourly salary and say to me "it s my responsible to bring someone like friend or family to sign for me". Too bad for DR and live with that!!!!

I recently took my sister to the doctor who is hearing impaired. We were able to get an interpreter at this visit which was paid by the state. We also requested the doctor to ask the insurance to pay for the interpreter for future visits. During the visit, while discussing the insurance paying the intrepreter, the interpreter informed the doctor that if the insurance doesn't pay the interpreter for future visits , she would be responsible.When the doctor heard this, she decided she did not want my sister for a patient anymore. As a matter of fact, she also refused to treat her that day. She told my sister she was sorry and then walked out......I am in the process of helping my sister submit a letter of complaint to the ADA....Does anybody have any advice to give my sister on how to proceed with this...We live in the state of Louisiana....

All interpreting assignments that I have done at doctors' offices, clinics, and hospitals, have been paid for by the doctors and hospitals. I've never heard of any of the Deaf consumers or their insurance paying for terps for medical appointments.

I've interpreted for Deaf patients, and Deaf family members of hearing patients. The doctors and hospitals paid for both. Their hospital rooms had captioned TV's, internet and email access, and TTY's.

Sometimes the hospital social worker has to intervene to get the services in place for new Deaf consumers who don't know how to advocate for themselves. But once they get set up, things work out fairly smoothly.

Of course, emergency situations don't always go smoothly due to the fact that they are EMERGENCIES. An emergency is something unplanned and unexpected, and is stressful for everyone concerned. It takes at least 30 minutes for the hospital to contact my agency, and then the agency to contact an available terp. If they contact me late at night, sitting at home in my PJ's, I need time to get dressed and drive to the hospital. That's another hour. So, from the time a Deaf patient shows up at the ER, until the terp shows up, is at least 1 and 1/2 hours.

Of course, some hospitals use video interpreters, so that might cut down on the wait.

:wtf:
that doctor sure does break the law...

Most the doctors and lawyers were struggled with deaf clients/patients to get an interpreters. It was awful lately. I heard so many stories occurred for the Deaf Community. They can't get an attorney because they refuse to get an interpreter because of expensive.

WTF?? No matter where you are at, that you need an interpreter, they pay for it!!! What a cold heart the doctor is! All he care is money? Not his own patient's health! TSK! I have no problem with my OB/GYN and others. They were willing to get me an interpreter. If they cannot get one on that date, they'll let me know and if I want to change the date to a better time, it is nice of them do that.

So i wish you best of luck to kick that dr's ass! :-D

:jaw:
My gosh! Some of States Malpractice will terminated for sure because of their rights and violation charter. I have no idea about USA' Charter rights. Use this one best tools and include ADA.. Wishes you good luck

In Canada, I use Canada Charter Rights and violate my rights. Several few things around some of business purposed and will be happy handy tool is Canada Charter Rights section 7 to 15 :)

Hopefully, One day you'll be okay and whip their arse and break their malpractice Doctor terminate.

As for us , If you're in the emergency.. Be always get an interpreter, if they refused, I'll be very happy dial myself to call an interpreter. That quick and short sweet.. an interpreter blunt hospital staff.. I do not give them a damn!

Epically My personal family doctor really not necessary for me to have an interpreter which my doctor use tools w/me typing on their computer..
Communication went well fine.. If it's serious and will be very happy get an interpreter.

I am so sorry to hear that cloudi. I will pray for you and your sis! That doctor is insensitive and uncaring. All that doctor wanted is your money, so sad. Please report that doc to the medical board.

respond to this

.....Does anybody have any advice to give my sister on how to proceed with this...We live in the state of Louisiana....

The doctor obviously violates the ADA law .. you need to contact the LA Commission for the Deaf and HH. Good luck[/QUOTE]

I agree the doctor has violated the ADA law. Who does she think she is? This really iritates me because There is so many deaf people out there are in need of medical help for their health. I've heard the in Louisiana, Nevada are the worst place to get support for deaf people ESPECIALLY INSURANCE COMPANIES! Even health insurance companies won't pay for someone who is deaf who has deaf parents who are old that the ins wants this person out of the house so a nurse can come and take care of the gentleman!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now how in the world would the nurse and the elderly gentleman communicate!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Doesn't this aggravate you too????????

Let’s get to the roots of the problem. The fact that the person doesn’t have good enough control of English to understand what the doctor is saying. How many people who don’t have good control of English file complaints or even know how to. Do people who have a 3rd grade reading level file written complaints? Not very often and in most all cases would need someone to help them do it. See if they would have just called the ADA a tax the doctors would gripe but pay because hey its a tax and its what I have to pay as a business and if I don’t, I get in trouble. That’s simple enough they understand taxes. They have to pay them period.

No one wants to open the ADA to amendments that would change some of those things because of the fear of what would be lost. Some of those elected are frothing at the mouth wanting to water down the ADA. It’s a sad situation and takes enormous effort to pursue a case against a doctor. Even then if you win do you want to that doctor again? Guy certainly isn’t going to be happy to see you when ya come in.Even then when he does pay will he take on more deaf patients?Will suddenly all the deaf people in the area end up going to one doctor and he is the only one shouldering the burdon of providing an interpreter for everyone. The law pitted deaf people against the very people seeking help, information, medical care ect ect. That was wrong . The states should have a funding system that solves these problems. Hell the doctors could get together and solve it through fees for their licenses. Then hire interpreters around the state to provide interpreting services. Then doctors wouldn’t see deaf people in a bad light before they even walk in the door as they do now.

My father is deaf and wouldn’t be happy to see an interpreter show up at his appointment. That’s just him. He knows English very well and would just like to keep what he does private. Now he will turn around and go in to work and fight like hell to get someone else an interpreter for a doctors visit.

Bottom line is I fought many battles like those listed above and usually the deaf person just gives up. I don’t blame them. The real answer is to have lots of money poured into a lobby. Not enough money working for deaf people right now. You have millions that get donated to schools and that’s great and all but what needs to be done is have millions set up in a trust fund to lobby congress and spread some money around. Then you have them giving money to what you need done instead of never having enough to do what needs to be done.

Part of the reason I left the field of interpreting for a while is you cant change the system working in the system. I decided I needed to make a crap load of money and use that to pay the elected state officials is what’s needed to get changes that would help the deaf community. I have opened one business now and on the way to opening another.I have since started interpreting on the side again.

There are just causes for which you should stand up and take a stand and those that are just ridiculous.

Fight for the just causes and not some of the ridiculous things I see some people complaining about and trying to use the ADA for out right stupid things. That just hurts the ADA as a whole. The many good things that the ADA has done gets tarnished by some of the over zealous people who try to use the ADA for stupid shit. Hearing people wont point to the good the ADA has done they will point to all the stupid things people try to use it for. The ADA was good and bad but better than how things were before. Work around the bad but don’t let the bad get rid of the good.

Also If you know any people who give lots of money to elected state officals try and get them to help.Tell them it sucks the doctor has to pay for it and there should be a better way of doing this than having the doctors fighting deaf people and deaf people fighting doctors.

Back