Do your interpreter usually does this?

When my son was in grammar school before I got him transferred, his second grade teacher called to complain that he was rude to his terp. I asked her to tell me what happened. Evidently his terp did more than terp...if she thought he wasn't paying enough attention to her, she would tap him and tell him to look at her. He responded by telling her she wasn't his mommy!:lol:

The terps here are in that position a lot. They are hired as interpereters/para educators so they fufill many duties. When I've stepped in for an absent terp ill admit to not following their job description to that extent. I will interperet what the teacher and students are saying for the student I am with. If that student is not paying attention its not my job to sit there and tap my foot and wave my hand at them. If they miss the information because they aren't paying attention their grades will reflect that and hopefully they will learn.

I remember one time in 11th grade, in a mainstream class, I was watching the terp and then she said to me that I should put more expression into my face.

I was like 'WTF' in my mind and complained to the principal. Needless to say, she didn't terp for me after that. Also she never spoke to me after that.

The terps here are in that position a lot. They are hired as interpereters/para educators so they fufill many duties. When I've stepped in for an absent terp ill admit to not following their job description to that extent. I will interperet what the teacher and students are saying for the student I am with. If that student is not paying attention its not my job to sit there and tap my foot and wave my hand at them. If they miss the information because they aren't paying attention their grades will reflect that and hopefully they will learn.
Yes, that's how I sub interpret for public schools. I interpret, period.

Full-time terps are required by some schools to have CDL's because they also drive the little yellow buses. No way!

The Mainstream... Where your interpreting experience is the shittiest.

And you wonder why people are still banging "mainstream!!" out there..

The Mainstream... Where your interpreting experience is the shittiest.

And you wonder why people are still banging "mainstream!!" out there..

Hmmmm. I never had an interpreter throughout school and would have loved even the worst interpreter. You know? (I'm not wallowing in self-pity, just swishing my toes a bit in it.)

Are you serious?! I hope you reported them. Did they get in trouble? if so, what?

She quit because she was too filled up with us... On the last day, she rolled my eye and gave me the look like she want to say "I hope I will never see you again"

She quit because she was too filled up with us... On the last day, she rolled my eye and gave me the look like she want to say "I hope I will never see you again"
I suppose the feeling was mutual? :giggle:

If that student is not paying attention its not my job to sit there and tap my foot and wave my hand at them. If they miss the information because they aren't paying attention their grades will reflect that and hopefully they will learn.

It really depends on the situation whether or not this would be an appropriate response.

It really depends on the situation whether or not this would be an appropriate response.

Thats true, and if the kid is new to the program or has attention problems, or if im acting as a one-on-one, I adjust due to the situation. But in the majority of cases this is my outlook. The kids know that, and they pay attention to me.

Back