Do you work ? if so what so you do ? if not

josey

Reaction score
what do you do all day ?
I am newly unemployed as of thursday and yu all have been so GREAT i nthe few days I have found the group and even though I am a CODA I am also loosing my hearing and my whole is unraveling from my home life and kids to friends and my professional life and I am just so comfty here and ty any help you have to offfer .

Also ,anyone the is HOH or Deaf late in life did your kids do ok with it or not ?

I have taught my kids sign since birth since my parents are deaf and like some say that it does help with understanding thme a bit better but not much at 1st

and I tihnk that is all for now
ty
kim
my aim is lucitoo2

I'am on ON Assistance and Canada Pension, the Ontario March of Dimes recommended it and the Cdn. Hearing Society helped me with the process.

I always shop at Loblaws and there used to be two people there one HOH, and one Deaf, the Deaf guy was so great, always smiling and the place was so clean. In December when I went in there it didn't look clean anymore, the carts and baskets weren't accessible for the customers, half the products where never there and the flowers were always hung over...........I ask the cashier I knew about when he was coming back and she told me they've never had such a hard worker but he's been sick for a month, she didn't know if he was coming back. The lame thing is that Loblaws can't legally tell him what a great asset he was, because the cashier told me that they can't say anything, and the guy was about 18 maybe 25.

It's March 2nd, and I talked to the manager, he's on leave indefinitly, and he told me it's because of a medical problem.

I ask whether it had anything to do with his hearing (or lack).... I suspect he's a new manager because the HOH cashier I haven't seen either, and three or four guys can't even do half a good job like that deaf guy could and they really don't even care.

If I ever ever see this guy again, I will tell him all this, because there's no reason he should be in poverty on have to apply for assitance just because of this., because........

In 1996 I used to work in data entry at the Toronto Hospital, at the time I was so ill everyday becasue of the noise from wearing two hearing aids, yet for two years no-body told me squip bam boo. Although my boss didn't find it a problem when I mentioned I wore two hearing aids, she had friends who taught Deaf children, yet the very next day when I walked into work my new job was stuffing letters, sometimes they sent me off to deliver things and if I ever complained, boom! That was the second horrible experience, but it just continues over and over and then bam you just get fed up with it.! I'am at the point where I now have to mention my hearing loss, I can't hide it anymore but in a big city where 4 million people work, employer's get scared!

I do a lot of Research into Health and Environmental Topics, sometimes for a magazine and volunteer at the University, although to my family none of this means squat at all! (They're all hearing, so I'am not good enough ........

I'm a full time ASL Instructor (9 yrs) at State of NJ Pyschiatric Hospital Deaf Program. I teach staff ASL who works in our program and I also teach d/Deaf patients basic ASL whomever were found incompetent to stand trial because of their siging skills. I'm also a part time ASL Instructor (14 yrs) in Union County Collage Interpreter Program. I'm a mother also which is a never-ending job with no pay! :)
Are you a member of NJ CODA? If not, are you interested in joining? Let me know if you do.
BTW, welcome to AllDeaf! :)

:hug: Josey, I am a CODA too. I pray that you will get your life back in order, and you're no different than you were before, just have to make the necessary adustments in life.

I was working at the R.I. School for the Deaf, then I became a foster mother to a darling deaf boy. I left my job 2 years ago, because I couldn't make a fulltime commitment, they wanted me there till 4, and because here in R.I. it is hard to find an after school day care program with staff that signs, I wasn't able to put him into a proper program. So, I gave up my job, to be with my foster son, which I don't regret at all. I am home full time now.

What does CODA mean????

I'am really surprised everybody's not on this thread! oh my gosh, just, .........................................shocking!

Dannie said:
What does CODA mean????

Children of Deaf Adult

Yes I sign my children since they were babies... They sign and understand everything what my deaf friends talk about... They also understood us when we sign without voice... :shock:

Back