Do You Wear Your Hearing Aid When Going Through A Metal Detector At The Airport?

I was reading at the Cochlear website and they even stated that you don't have to turn your CI off in the plane when they request computers, cell phones, etc to be turned off because they are medical devices. You do need to let the flight staff know that you are wearing one, however. I think the main reason that there is concern for the CI is the processor and magnetic fields which can damage the mapping. I may be wrong on that, but that was my interpretation.

I did expiercne request to sign my doctor

I told dr.karpinksi tell me sign on wrote paper show approve for cochlear implant. i already magnet. I think so ready technical, i think possible i Hope be wait for ask first doctor. I think so hope be explain to you I hope be curious i think so possible go to metal magnet. I understand i already I am i am communication to talk to doctor.. Doctor approve you cochlear implant...

that is approve cochlear implant really help you security strict. :wave:

I was reading at the Cochlear website and they even stated that you don't have to turn your CI off in the plane when they request computers, cell phones, etc to be turned off because they are medical devices. You do need to let the flight staff know that you are wearing one, however. I think the main reason that there is concern for the CI is the processor and magnetic fields which can damage the mapping. I may be wrong on that, but that was my interpretation.

Interesting! I don't even tell anyone that I have one. It's not a big deal. I do play the deaf card so I can get on the plane first. :)

As soon as I get on the plane, I turn my CIs off because the engine is really loud and I don't want to hear that. I would leave my CI on, only if I want to listen to music or whatever...but other than that, they're turned off.

Never had any problems with mappings and stuff. I don't think the airlines would have anything to do with magnetic fields because of all the different medical devices and people probably have tons of magnetic crap with them when they go on the plane (iPods, laptop, cell phones, you name it).

Interesting! I don't even tell anyone that I have one. It's not a big deal. I do play the deaf card so I can get on the plane first. :)

As soon as I get on the plane, I turn my CIs off because the engine is really loud and I don't want to hear that. I would leave my CI on, only if I want to listen to music or whatever...but other than that, they're turned off.

Never had any problems with mappings and stuff. I don't think the airlines would have anything to do with magnetic fields because of all the different medical devices and people probably have tons of magnetic crap with them when they go on the plane (iPods, laptop, cell phones, you name it).

On recent trip to Austria, my hand luggage consits tons of crap (LOL)... Lap top, Ipod, couple of batteries, DS, plugs,cables, wires, cell phone, money, books and Hair straighteners, I had to carry those since my actual luggage went over the weight limit. No one questions it.

Although i made security aware of my CI, I never told the airline i was deaf or uses CI since i had flown so many times it was a nature to me not to bother telling them and on other note, sadly cheap fast buck makers airlines, now charges us for priorities so i can't play deaf card anymore aswell. I don't think i would bother with security next time i fly, if the metal detector goes off i would provide card.

I've never thought to take off my ha's at the security airport or at the court becuz I got a bad habit leaving 'em on. Except the sound interference kinda bothered me, so I turned the volume down. I don't even see anything a warning sign. All I do remember is that I did take off metal things, but I didn't think of my ha's, I forgot about that. No wonder security checked on me when every each time I get stuck.

I heard that if you walk through a metal detector while wearing hearing aids, they will explode. :Ohno:

... or am I just kidding? ;)

With the HA, I went through the metal detectors without ANY problems, and I fly round trip at least 4 times a year.

With the CI, I take off my CI because I heard sometimes the metal detectors can affect the mapping, plus I LOVE people's reactions to my processor. They get so confused about it. You'd think they would have seen one before..... They usually watch me put it back on. Hilarious!

I know you're asking about airports but I had been going to the court house twice due to jury duty, and am going back in four weeks and since they have metal dectors, what I do is tell them that I have two CI's and show them then they have one turned off and I walk thru that and then one of the guards will detect me using the wand thingy instead. The 1st time I went, the guard wanted to see my CI card, which I carry in my purse anyways the 2nd time they didn't ask to see it, probably cause they recognized me. I will be doing the same thing at airports, always tell someone that I have CI and to turn it off before I walk thru and to use the wand thingy instead. :)

Just wondering what's the regulation here. Do you take them off during the screening or wear them?

Just coming from the airport. Hearing aids always stay on. Never had any problems with metal detectors.

Back