Do you view being deaf as a disability or alternate way of life?

Deafness is a disability. Disable to hear.

I am proud of being Disabled. I am not ashame.

Um, you got it slightly mixed up, being proud and acknowledging yourself as disabled is quite correct but being disable got nothing to do with your deafness, it is more on how society dont provide you as much oppurtunity as everyone else, basing on yourdeafness - that bit is disablism or disabled.

Society didnt disable you to hear, (that would be when hearing people attempts to "help you to hear", with hearnig aids! They based on this on the assumption you have a hearing handicap! (impairment is another thing altogether) in which they see no other reality associated with deafness, like absence of an awareness about sign language, the alternative ways of Being, and also the way they let society's set-up runs and only for hearing people's way.

Society disabled you from being a full fledge citizen with absolute equal rights and oppurtunity to say become a doctor or a lawyer or a chemical engineer or civil engineer or Entrepreneur/industrialist to be a millionaire, lots of various position 'we dont know about because we never interest or was told about it.....ot talk about it from hearing people......that sort of thing.
Discrimination, prejudice are basically symptoms of the disabling society.

Yes, you are right not to be ashamed of yourself.

Last edited:
I don't really consider deafness as a disability. After all, you can do anything except hear, simply said. That is, unless you have a completely different perspective. Why should I be ashamed of myself? No. When I was young and did not fully understand that was perfectly okay with being deaf. I did not understand why I was the only family member who is deaf - everyone else are hearing. I was wondering endlessly, why me? As I grew older, the more I accept myself. Really, I don't pity myself that I couldn't hear. I am normal like everyone else, but in another world to mend in without any more hassles.

Um, you got it slightly mixed up, being proud and acknowledging yourself as disabled is quite correct but being disable got nothing to do with your deafness, it is more on how society dont provide you as much oppurtunity as everyone else, basing on yourdeafness - that bit is disablism or disabled.

Society didnt disable you to hear, (that would be when hearing people attempts to "help you to hear", with hearnig aids! They based on this on the assumption you have a hearing handicap! (impairment is another thing altogether) in which they see no other reality associated with deafness, like absence of an awareness about sign language, the alternative ways of Being, and also the way they let society's set-up runs and only for hearing people's way.

Society disabled you from being a full fledge citizen with absolute equal rights and oppurtunity to say become a doctor or a lawyer or a chemical engineer or civil engineer or Entrepreneur/industrialist to be a millionaire, lots of various position 'we dont know about because we never interest or was told about it.....ot talk about it from hearing people......that sort of thing.

Correction ma'am - I do know of a doctor that is profoundly deaf. The only thing he has others do for him are when he needs to hear a heartbeat through a stethoscope or other bodily noises that might be a sign of an illness. His RPN (Nurse Practitioner) does these for him, but he is the one that writes the Rx's and oversees patient care. Yes he is disabled - he is not able to hear, but is NOT handicapped you see. He didn't let his deafness keep him from becoming a doctor. Instead, he found a way to work around it.

Deafness isn't my only disabilty. I have problem with my speech.

You have to prove that you can do those things.
I tried to join the army, but I failed math.

Remember that movie about the Black man, actor Cuba Goodings played him,
it is a real life story... Black man had part of his legs cut off because
of accident. So he walked on fake legs. And he won in court
that he can stay in the Navy cause he prove everyone.

So you're saying... people with healthy heart attempts to "help someone to have healthy heart", with heart implant! They based on this on
the assumption someone have a heart handicap!

Well... our VICE PRESIDENT CHENEY is HANDICAP. I guess.

I don't like sign language. There is nothing wrong with Cochlear Implant.

You guys get offended if people are trying to help you. And try to help
your life much easy.

If you hate hearing aid and cochlear implant, then give up TTY. Don't be pissed off cause
hearing people dislike TTY relay service. And give up VRS, too.
Give up the deaf alarm clock, give up all the deaf equipments.:pissed:

Well then get cochlear implant and then you can have opportunity to be doctor, lawyer and everything.

Deaf people discriminate me at Show Me Deaf Film and Mosdeux film crew reject me. Deaf people are big hypocrite.
And so anyway.. people discriminate or show prejudice against deaf because they don't understand you.

Imagine meeting an unknown deaf person who can't talk, don't know how to sign language, don't know how to read. You would think... my God. And he wants to work as a construction worker... you would think, NO WAY!!

Correction ma'am - I do know of a doctor that is profoundly deaf. The only thing he has others do for him are when he needs to hear a heartbeat through a stethoscope or other bodily noises that might be a sign of an illness. His RPN (Nurse Practitioner) does these for him, but he is the one that writes the Rx's and oversees patient care. Yes he is disabled - he is not able to hear, but is NOT handicapped you see. He didn't let his deafness keep him from becoming a doctor. Instead, he found a way to work around it.

Very true. Well done.

J Ex' said, "I don't really consider deafness as a disability. After all, you can do anything except hear, simply said."

So people who can do anything except see, isn't a disability?
So people who can do anything but got a bad back, isn't a disability?

Can you fly a plane? If we are in a bad storm, can you contact
the people at airport to help you avoid bad storm or anything?
Can we be a pilot?

We just have to accept some of the things we can't do. And just
deal with it. There are other jobs and other things we can do.

J Ex' said, "I don't really consider deafness as a disability. After all, you can do anything except hear, simply said."

So people who can do anything except see, isn't a disability?
So people who can do anything but got a bad back, isn't a disability?

Can you fly a plane? If we are in a bad storm, can you contact
the people at airport to help you avoid bad storm or anything?
Can we be a pilot?

We just have to accept some of the things we can't do. And just
deal with it. There are other jobs and other things we can do.

I don't think you really get the concept. Deaf people can simply do anything they wanted. Yes, there's deaf pilots out there. No, I'm not kidding.

FAA - Become a Pilot-Deaf Pilot Frequently Asked Questions-Certification

I am studying to become an criminal investigator, I know there will be some raw deals. Like a deaf doctor will rely on his nurse to hear the heartbeats or breathing, I may will need a partner to help me out with the interviewing part. I dearly hope it'll break the barrier between a deaf person and his/her hearing co-workers. It'll be extremely difficult to achieve that in no time. I know I can do is to gather and process all the evidences from the crime scene, the writing comprehension, logical thinking among many things I know I can do.

I don't think you really get the concept. Deaf people can simply do anything they wanted. Yes, there's deaf pilots out there. No, I'm not kidding.

FAA - Become a Pilot-Deaf Pilot Frequently Asked Questions-Certification

I am studying to become an criminal investigator, I know there will be some raw deals. Like a deaf doctor will rely on his nurse to hear the heartbeats or breathing, I may will need a partner to help me out with the interviewing part. I dearly hope it'll break the barrier between a deaf person and his/her hearing co-workers. It'll be extremely difficult to achieve that in no time. I know I can do is to gather and process all the evidences from the crime scene, the writing comprehension, logical thinking among many things I know I can do.

Okay... fine. But...
if you ever be on Titanic ship...

And you didn't put deafness in the disability list.

And if the crew said women, children, and people with disability should
get in the rescue boats only.

And if you shout, "I am disability"

Then the crew will think you're lying cause your name is not on the
disability list.

So :bye::bye: you go down with the ship.

:whistle:

Okay... fine. But...
if you ever be on Titanic ship...

And you didn't put deafness in the disability list.

And if the crew said women, children, and people with disability should
get in the rescue boats only.

And if you shout, "I am disability"

Then the crew will think you're lying cause your name is not on the
disability list.

So :bye::bye: you go down with the ship.

:whistle:

What is the point? We're not living in the early 1900s.

My son's pediatrician when we lived in TN. is now a CI user. He hasn't stopped practicing.

What is the point? We're not living in the early 1900s.

Well my point is... it can happen at any tragic event at anytime...
women, children, and disability always be call first to leave.

And other opportunity....
We can get on the plane first.. as well, without have to stand in line.

I view it as a disability, but not in the "life sucks, I'm flawed" perspective. Simply, I can't hear that well. I am -unable- to hear that well.

It's a fact, right up there with having brown eyes and long fingernails and somewhat wide feet. Nothing to be proud of or shamed of.

Well my point is... it can happen at any tragic event at anytime...
women, children, and disability always be call first to leave.

And other opportunity....
We can get on the plane first.. as well, without have to stand in line.

I personally don't need to get in the plane first just because of my deafness. I know that I will get on the plane as instructed on my ticket. For some reasons I felt it was kind of an advantage. I don't let my deafness as my advantages for some reasons.

J'explique - it's not woth arguing with her - you're better off beating your head against a brick wall than to try to have an adult conversation with DFM...... believe me I've tried.

J'explique - it's not woth arguing with her - you're better off beating your head against a brick wall than to try to have an adult conversation with DFM...... believe me I've tried.

Ok. I was merely making my point of view. If I do argue, I could get very blunt and start typing in caps and exclamation points and won't die till i win. I don't do this shit.

Thanks for the head up, anyway. :ty:

Back