Do you think Vet's bill is rip off?

Well, DD. I has to agree with you but I´m not complaint over Vet charge. I never thought about this until this thread for a first time but I find this thread is interesting to share our opinions with anyone here.

My both cats are indoor & do use our garden only. The both cats I adopted is stray. Look at poor & homeless pets, that´s why I prefer to adopt homeless pet than buy expensive pets. I love them so much as my own children. :grouphug:

*Smiling*

You're very welcome DD, I can't blame you for feeling this way because I happen to agree with you 100%!...

It's just sometimes, the vet bills are like whooa :shock: ....you know! ...that's all...but please do accept my apology if you felt that I didn't care about any pets but I do care!... :ily:

Last edited:
DreamDeaf said:
Another thing...it has been years since then, but it still HURTS big time...

Like I said in my earlier post, I grew up on a farm...we always found animals abandoned by the side of the roads - by owners that didn't, couldn't or wouldn't take care of them anymore...we always tried to rescue those that were still in good shape, take them home with us, take care of them, and then try to find good homes for them...

As for the others...I had to learn how to ride with a shotgun and a shovel in the truck. I never liked that part...but living way out in the country, we had no choice. Many days I would hear a shotgun blast going off, and we would say a prayer...

Even today, if I find an animal shivering by the road...it's a sure bet it's an abandoned pet...and I always try to find a place to stop close by, capture the animal and take it to the nearest shelter...I have so many rags and blankets in my car trunk for that purpose.

If you can't afford a vet bill, then don't get a pet. And if you get a pet and find out that you can't take care of it, we have excellent animal shelters for that purpose. Don't expect that animal to be able to take care of itself out there ... our pets are domesticated, and dependent on us to take care of them.

I'll get off my high horse now...just take a moment to think about what I've said.
yea i agree with u.. i do feel as u do!!! not blame u for that...

I absolutely agree with Dream Deaf. Pets are expensive. That's why anyone considering obtaining a pet is urged to seriously consider the long term costs, including veterinary care. If you cannot afford to pay for vet. care, consider obtaining a lower maintenance pet, like a fish. There is nothing that angers me more than people who take in free kittens/puppies and do not get the pets altered (neutered/spayed). This is one of the "givens!" You take in a pet, you get it altered unless it is of show quality and you're breeding it out of a love for the breed, not a love of money. This is why millions of animals die on an annual basis, because there are not enough homes. As DD said, veterinary care is relatively inexpensive in contrast to human health care. Most of us have health insurance, so we don't really get the itemized billing from our physicals, bloodwork, etc etc. I'm sure if you took a bill for the same services done for a human as for an animal and held them side by side, you'd find the human bill would be much higher. Most veterinarians did not go into their field of practice for the money. Unfortunately, I will admit, there ARE some who view animal medicine as a lucrative money making business, that's why it is vital to call around. You'll probably find that prices vary from practice to practice. Sorry for the rant, but this is something I feel very strongly about.

^Angel^ said:
I know that most kittens and puppies do have worms when they are young, if they are not treated by the vet or has never been to the vet in years, and if one of the child kissed the pet on the lips, they will likely end up getting sick<<<< that is what I heard from my own vet....so my question to you is how can that be possible?....

Yes, everyone aware of it, and it is much cheaper to buy thread worm, heart worm tablets from the supermarkets rather than from the Vet!

Kittens looks hungry or sore in appearances,they could be sick who knows? and always wash your hands after play with them, and its unhygenic to let them lick all over your face etc.

Saline Eyes said:
I absolutely agree with Dream Deaf. Pets are expensive. That's why anyone considering obtaining a pet is urged to seriously consider the long term costs, including veterinary care. If you cannot afford to pay for vet. care, consider obtaining a lower maintenance pet, like a fish. There is nothing that angers me more than people who take in free kittens/puppies and do not get the pets altered (neutered/spayed). This is one of the "givens!" You take in a pet, you get it altered unless it is of show quality and you're breeding it out of a love for the breed, not a love of money. This is why millions of animals die on an annual basis, because there are not enough homes. As DD said, veterinary care is relatively inexpensive in contrast to human health care. Most of us have health insurance, so we don't really get the itemized billing from our physicals, bloodwork, etc etc. I'm sure if you took a bill for the same services done for a human as for an animal and held them side by side, you'd find the human bill would be much higher. Most veterinarians did not go into their field of practice for the money. Unfortunately, I will admit, there ARE some who view animal medicine as a lucrative money making business, that's why it is vital to call around. You'll probably find that prices vary from practice to practice. Sorry for the rant, but this is something I feel very strongly about.

Yes, well said, pets are expensive to own but they give us lots of pleasure and enjoy to play with, and that's why I agreed that pets are for LIFE not just a christmas presents, once they grown, people dump them to the shelter which is moral wrong!! It is big responsible to own a pet.

^Angel^ said:
:ugh: Ummm.....If I didn't care about my pet then I wouldn't take my pet to the vet at all....

There's nothing wrong with complainting about a bill whether it's from a vet, doctor, hospital, or etc....

People do have money issue and there's nothing new about that....Life does get tough sometimes but we do find a way!.... ;)
Yeah, I already understand about doctor and dentist bills. However, it does seem that x-rays and specific things cost more for animals than for humans. I had a friend who went to a vet for a check-up. Ended up with a $500 bill including medicine. My friend, himself, went to a doctor for a check-up a week later. He only got a $100 bill plus $10 for medicine. :crazy:

gnarlydorkette said:
Pet insurance is pretty new. They are anal with ppl buying the policies. They want young pets to be insuranced than having aged pets sign up. I know this because my friend has a 14 years old dog, VERY healthy and she cannot get the dog covered by insurance even tho it is very healthy.. the company is little hissy about its age.
I think I should get some insurance... hope they do see my cat as young-- it is only 3 years old. I recently took my cat to vet for checkup and to obtain medicine for the fleas and tapeworm. EXPENSIVE and they do charge for visit but it is only 5 bucks... they also charged me for having them using tools on my cats-- like I have to pay for the syprine that shot on my cat, the scooter for the anal stool et cetera... and then the medicine is 60bucks... total: 130$

that was way too much for me but I really really wanted my cat to be healthy because it was born with tapeworms by its mother who was never treated by owner (I kept telling him to go and have the cats checked up and spayed because my cat came from 8th litter... the mother kept getting pregnant).

The visit did pay off. My cat doesn't have tapeworms anymore. Fleas have reduced ALOT. I still have the medicines and still give it to my cat monthly.

[looking at pet insurances and attempt to apply]

Thanks Reba for posting them!

Huh. Well my eldest pet just turned 8. My mother and I have been looking for pet insurance for some time. We used to take our pets to the Humane Society and VCA, but it was just too costly, so we go to a very local vet's office... it's more costly than VCA. What are some pet insurance reccomended?

DreamDeaf said:
Another thing...it has been years since then, but it still HURTS big time...

Like I said in my earlier post, I grew up on a farm...we always found animals abandoned by the side of the roads - by owners that didn't, couldn't or wouldn't take care of them anymore...we always tried to rescue those that were still in good shape, take them home with us, take care of them, and then try to find good homes for them...

As for the others...I had to learn how to ride with a shotgun and a shovel in the truck. I never liked that part...but living way out in the country, we had no choice. Many days I would hear a shotgun blast going off, and we would say a prayer...

Even today, if I find an animal shivering by the road...it's a sure bet it's an abandoned pet...and I always try to find a place to stop close by, capture the animal and take it to the nearest shelter...I have so many rags and blankets in my car trunk for that purpose.

If you can't afford a vet bill, then don't get a pet. And if you get a pet and find out that you can't take care of it, we have excellent animal shelters for that purpose. Don't expect that animal to be able to take care of itself out there ... our pets are domesticated, and dependent on us to take care of them.

I'll get off my high horse now...just take a moment to think about what I've said.

Geez, you sound like a big heart person
i showed this to a hearing friend. Five years ago,
she got very upset about seeing many abandoned
pets and horses etc.. so she and her
family started their own non-profit organization
for abandoned pets on their 2,000 acres
farm near here i'm sure that they would love to
meet more people just like you..

Back