Do you think Vet's bill is rip off?

Just about last year in September, my second eldest cat had an urinary tract infection. He was near death, but he survived. Vet bills were over $2,000 ... which is why my family calls Trigger the "Two Thousand Dollar Cat".

Now this year, my youngest cat had surgery on his tail because a piece of it was hanging off of it - catfight - and it was about $800.15. My youngest cat only stayed there for a day.

You can ask question your vet about bill. My vet wont allow of my bill. I have to all pay for my rats GRR...

My old rat had cancer arm. I want cut arm off. Cost $200 and X-ray cost $90. Now my rat is dead for cancer. My doctor wont allow that my rat is very old. I dont care damn it well. Vet is suck.

Maybe, the reason for the high cost is due to supply and demand. The more often it's used, the cheaper it is. :dunno:

^Angel^ said:

I have taken all my cats to the vet for every shots but since I brought another kitten, I haven't able to take him to get his shots yet but I will , it just that I know the vet bill will be a bit over hundred dollars or so since they do charge for office visit too and I know he's missing a couple of shots since hes 7 months old ..... :(

Yes, that's why we pay for using the Vet's time to listen to me, same with GP Doctor, I pay for his time to listen my whinning about my health problem etc!!
Same with Dentist, just looking at my teeth, no filling etc

Yes, I do believe there are times when the final bill at a veterinarian can be ridiculously outrageous but sometimes we might not know that their overhead costs may be ridiculously high as well which might explain why they are charging us more and more for their expertise services....maybe they ought to leave out a can on the receptionist's countertop for 'donations'...heh? :lol:

Pet insurance is pretty new. They are anal with ppl buying the policies. They want young pets to be insuranced than having aged pets sign up. I know this because my friend has a 14 years old dog, VERY healthy and she cannot get the dog covered by insurance even tho it is very healthy.. the company is little hissy about its age.
I think I should get some insurance... hope they do see my cat as young-- it is only 3 years old. I recently took my cat to vet for checkup and to obtain medicine for the fleas and tapeworm. EXPENSIVE and they do charge for visit but it is only 5 bucks... they also charged me for having them using tools on my cats-- like I have to pay for the syprine that shot on my cat, the scooter for the anal stool et cetera... and then the medicine is 60bucks... total: 130$

that was way too much for me but I really really wanted my cat to be healthy because it was born with tapeworms by its mother who was never treated by owner (I kept telling him to go and have the cats checked up and spayed because my cat came from 8th litter... the mother kept getting pregnant).

The visit did pay off. My cat doesn't have tapeworms anymore. Fleas have reduced ALOT. I still have the medicines and still give it to my cat monthly.

[looking at pet insurances and attempt to apply]

Thanks Reba for posting them!

258 - my family never really took any of our cats nor dogs to the vet unless it was NECESSARY. My baby sister's cat, KittyKan lived to a ripe age of 22 and never saw the office of the vet's for years!

My Rosie's been healthy and no need to visit the vet -- last time she was at the vet's was nearly 3 years ago when she got fixed....

Also, at local animal shelter here in Utah, they require you to come back for shots and so on. They have their own vet lab, so they offer inexpensive care for animals adopted from the shelter. Might be a good alternative to going to an independent vet.

Reba said:
Our vet was very sweet. The vet staff sent us a personal note and condolence card after our kitty died. They were very understanding and never pressured our decisions.

Yeah, same with me, they put my alastian dog to sleep, and the next day they post me a card to offer their condolence which touch my heart.

Red~Rum said:
Yes, that's why we pay for using the Vet's time to listen to me, same with GP Doctor, I pay for his time to listen my whinning about my health problem etc!!
Same with Dentist, just looking at my teeth, no filling etc

Do you have healthy insurance to cover Doctor, Dentist, e.g.?

Vet is a different. I think it´s ridiculously to pay Vet´s fee for an office hour. I pay only examination & medical. Vet would also charge you if you let them to drive to your house.

Depend different examination prices.

Mine is only €12.50 for approx. 5 minutes examination.

Last edited:
PurpleRose71 said:
258 - my family never really took any of our cats nor dogs to the vet unless it was NECESSARY. My baby sister's cat, KittyKan lived to a ripe age of 22 and never saw the office of the vet's for years!

My Rosie's been healthy and no need to visit the vet -- last time she was at the vet's was nearly 3 years ago when she got fixed....

Me, too.

***knock on the wood*** Sussi, my 18 yrs. old cat never being ill for 18 yrs but last shot was at 11 yrs. ago.

Zericsrats said:
You can ask question your vet about bill. My vet wont allow of my bill. I have to all pay for my rats GRR...

My old rat had cancer arm. I want cut arm off. Cost $200 and X-ray cost $90. Now my rat is dead for cancer. My doctor wont allow that my rat is very old. I dont care damn it well. Vet is suck.

Oh my dear, it´s so bad! The Vet should be honest with you before they do something with your rat that how many % chance your rat stay alive after an operation.

You has the right to request the price before agreeing to have an operation or not.

Liebling:-))) said:
Do you have healthy insurance to cover Doctor, Dentist, e.g.?

Vet is a different. I think it´s ridiculously to pay Vet´s fee for an office hour. I pay only examination & medical. Vet would also charge you if you let them to drive to your house.

Depend different examination prices.

Mine is only €12.50 for "light" examination.
Yes, there are health insurances and dentist insurance, it is up to people to join or not, its their choices, same with pet insurance too.

If I book an appointment to see the Vet, Dr or Dentist, and never turn up, some will post me a bill for not keep up this appointment UNLESS you ring them to cancel it, so they can find someone to take over my place!!

Of course it will cost a fortune to have a Vet or Doctor visiting at my place as it is cheaper to visit them.

Interesting thread!!!

I guess that examination fee for vet´s time is included ? I´ll find out. €12.50 for 5 minutes examination.

I´ll find out more from my co-worker who own the pets about this.

PurpleRose71 said:

I know that most kittens and puppies do have worms when they are young, if they are not treated by the vet or has never been to the vet in years, and if one of the child kissed the pet on the lips, they will likely end up getting sick<<<< that is what I heard from my own vet....so my question to you is how can that be possible?....

*sigh*...I noticed that NONE of you complained about HUMAN doctor and dentist bills...WHY?

Vets have the same high overhead as doctors and dentists do - they have to pay for rent, employees, insurance (yes they do have malpractice insurance, too!), medicines (yes, they have to pay for medications that are shipped to them!), equipment, office supplies, computer equipment, utilities (electricity, phone, cable in remote locations, water/sewer), bio-hazard pickup (needles, bloody wrappings, etc), maintenance and so on...

I have NEVER complained about taking my animals to the vet - I grew up on a farm with small and large animals, we had small animal vets, large animal vets, farriers (horseshoers) and specialitists.

I have had many animals over the years, and every time I noticed there was something wrong, I would immediately call the vet for an appointement and go quickly, or in emergencies, go the the animal emergency hospital.

Would you complain about bills if it were YOUR OWN CHILD??? Animals CAN and DO feel the same pain as humans, and what makes it worse, they cannot tell us exactly where it hurts...

If you MUST complain about the high cost of vet services, then maybe you shouldn't have pets then...since you probably don't care if your animals are hurting...

Good luck. This makes me MAD!!!!

DreamDeaf said:
*sigh*...I noticed that NONE of you complained about HUMAN doctor and dentist bills...WHY?

Vets have the same high overhead as doctors and dentists do - they have to pay for rent, employees, insurance (yes they do have malpractice insurance, too!), medicines (yes, they have to pay for medications that are shipped to them!), equipment, office supplies, computer equipment, utilities (electricity, phone, cable in remote locations, water/sewer), bio-hazard pickup (needles, bloody wrappings, etc), maintenance and so on...

I have NEVER complained about taking my animals to the vet - I grew up on a farm with small and large animals, we had small animal vets, large animal vets, farriers (horseshoers) and specialitists.

I have had many animals over the years, and every time I noticed there was something wrong, I would immediately call the vet for an appointement and go quickly, or in emergencies, go the the animal emergency hospital.

Would you complain about bills if it were YOUR OWN CHILD??? Animals CAN and DO feel the same pain as humans, and what makes it worse, they cannot tell us exactly where it hurts...

If you MUST complain about the high cost of vet services, then maybe you shouldn't have pets then...since you probably don't care if your animals are hurting...

Good luck. This makes me MAD!!!!
WHOA! i agree with u!!!! pet feel like my own children... no matter what if my pet is sick or something wrong, i still bring to vet so what!

Another thing...it has been years since then, but it still HURTS big time...

Like I said in my earlier post, I grew up on a farm...we always found animals abandoned by the side of the roads - by owners that didn't, couldn't or wouldn't take care of them anymore...we always tried to rescue those that were still in good shape, take them home with us, take care of them, and then try to find good homes for them...

As for the others...I had to learn how to ride with a shotgun and a shovel in the truck. I never liked that part...but living way out in the country, we had no choice. Many days I would hear a shotgun blast going off, and we would say a prayer...

Even today, if I find an animal shivering by the road...it's a sure bet it's an abandoned pet...and I always try to find a place to stop close by, capture the animal and take it to the nearest shelter...I have so many rags and blankets in my car trunk for that purpose.

If you can't afford a vet bill, then don't get a pet. And if you get a pet and find out that you can't take care of it, we have excellent animal shelters for that purpose. Don't expect that animal to be able to take care of itself out there ... our pets are domesticated, and dependent on us to take care of them.

I'll get off my high horse now...just take a moment to think about what I've said.

:ugh: Ummm.....If I didn't care about my pet then I wouldn't take my pet to the vet at all....

There's nothing wrong with complainting about a bill whether it's from a vet, doctor, hospital, or etc....

People do have money issue and there's nothing new about that....Life does get tough sometimes but we do find a way!.... ;)

we always found animals abandoned by the side of the roads - by owners that didn't, couldn't or wouldn't take care of them anymore...we always tried to rescue those that were still in good shape, take them home with us, take care of them, and then try to find good homes for them...

I can understand where you are coming from DD, I feel the same way as you do, but I will never leave my pet outside, or abandoned them.....

Back