Do you think transpositional(high freq---> low freq) HAs will be popular soon?

I went to a meeting last Saturday about the latest in transpositional aids. When AVR came out with their transpositional aid called Impact close to 15 years ago it was a straight transposition on top of the lower frequencies. Then there was a second version that prevented the transposition from over riding the normal frequencies, Then Phonak came out with their version in which the transposition is done with compressing the high frequencies before moving then to the lower frequencies. This seems to work better and some HOH high schoolers are having better results with this approach. It is a long time coming to see transpositional aids working a bit better for clients. :hmm:

Phonak claim that this technology names soundrecover helps with high frequncies loss.

any experience here??

I see that Widex calls their transposition method the Audibility Extender in the brochure.

Hi. I use the Phonak Naida V UP hearing aids. I am still having them adjusted a lot but things are a little better. I have heard things that I did not know make a sound and others things that were way too high freq for me before are now "appearing" where i can hear it. I can hear a dog tag for the first time in my life. I can hear water running, some birds, metal objects, and the alarm on my watch. I also notice my sister's guide dog walking around on wooden floors makes a neat sound. I also hear things that I cant figure out, im confused by some things. Chips make a sound too as you eat them, i enjoy eating them and listening to the crunch they make. lol As far as speech goes, I am not having much luck at all. I still only hear vowel sounds with very few consonants. Today, I asked my audie to increase the gain in the higher frequencies but I do not notice much of an improvement. I hear static over everyone's voice as well in some environments. I can understand male voices better than women and kids voices. I still have to speech read and I use sign language as well. The tv is still on CC and some shows seem to be too noisy and others too soft. I am still adjusting the HAs but I definalty love the lower frequencies and the power of them. Finally something that is loud enough. I will write more after i have more adjustments made. Phonak is the best HA company IMHO. :)

Transposition for me makes no difference, save for one thing: I can faintly hear one of my whistles which sounds around 1500Hz to me which happens to be the cutoff for transposition. My loss is 110db+ at 1000Hz and up so I really don't have much usable hearing, in fact my cochlea is dead to sounds above 1200Hz. Do you have any audiograms of how well you hear aided?

Deafdude,

I can attempt to answer your question but you won’t like my answers.

Hearing instrument manufacturers are in business to make money. It takes significant financial resources to develop sound processing chips and algorithms. The companies want to invest research money where they will get the highest return (ROI). This means, they will work on solutions that benefit 80% of their patients. If 1% want the functionality, it likely is not good ROI.

The industry trend is not to go to transposition but to give higher gains all around. In addition, most manufacturers are interested in sound under 6kHz and many concentrate efforts below 3kHz. The general goal is more speech recognition as that is what most patients want. Hearing a classical music concert is secondary to communication and communicating in noise.

C1

Hi everyone. :)
I definatly agree, the Phonak Naida hearing aids take a lot of adjusting to. They definatly are life changing when you have never heard above 3kHz and then have everything shifted down to 1.5 to 2k. Things can be confusing though and for me I have had to do a lot of learning what things sound like and what and where the sound came from, somtimes a little scary and disconcerting.
I do have a qeustion though, I wear Phonak Naida V UP hearing aids and worn them for almost a month, that when I wake up in the morning, I put my hearing aids in and everything sounds great. I can hear well and enjoy everything "coming to life" as it seems. Then as the day goes on, I start hearing everything become more and more distorted as if my ears and my brain are becoming tired and dont hear well. I start to have more trouble understanding speech and there is a layer of static over everyone's voices. I still do not understand all of speech except for some words or groups of words. Sometimes I will put my hearing aids on T to have some silence and a break from my tinnitus. There is a low freq buzz when my HAs are on T so it cancels out some of my tinnitus. I also notice with my left ear, that I hear 6 to 7 tones all mixed together and when any sound comes in from the Naida or my Superfront hearing aids, that there is a" shifting tinnitus" that happens. I will hear something or talk and by me talking or hearing out of that ear, I hear several tones moving up to another set of tones and then when I stop talking or sound doesnt fill my ear at a certain volume, the tones change again to a lower tone. It is driving me crazy and I am trying to figure out if it my eustatian tube prob or something else. The best way I can discribe this is like music notes. My tinnitus is these notes but a few cents off from perfect intonation: C,C#,E,F,F#,B,B#. When I talk or hear anything ,the note moves up to B and stays there until I stop talking or stop getting sound and then it will fall to C or C# and then I will hear each note one by one as my tinnitus falls back to C. Then it moves up and down through the notes everytime there is the presence of sound in my ear. i notice this more in my left (worst ear) than my right. I tried my other hearing aids on to see if it was the Naidas but all of them do it. I am thinking that it is more of a eustation tube issue but I just wanted to see if anyone else has this kind of issue. I go to the audie tm, so I will ask him about it too.
Have a great day everyone!
:)

I do have a qeustion though, I wear Phonak Naida V UP hearing aids and worn them for almost a month, that when I wake up in the morning, I put my hearing aids in and everything sounds great. I can hear well and enjoy everything "coming to life" as it seems. Then as the day goes on, I start hearing everything become more and more distorted as if my ears and my brain are becoming tired and dont hear well. I start to have more trouble understanding speech and there is a layer of static over everyone's voices. I still do not understand all of speech except for some words or groups of words.:)

I have the Naida IX up's.I hjave had them for a month now. Had the same problem only worse. They would sudenly shut down, both aids, not at the same time. The Phonak rep, the head office, and my audi all felt it was the battries. The UP's use 675 battries. When installed you must wait 2 min after removing the tab before putting them in the aid. Also it was suggested that thefilter in the battery cover be removed. The filter in the battery door restricts the air to the battery and it looses power. Over night with the door open it regains the power.
I found that removing the filter corrected my problems. My audi is going to supply me with hi power 675's. I believe they are the ones used in CI's.
I hope this helps.

Hi everyone. :)
I definatly agree, the Phonak Naida hearing aids take a lot of adjusting to. They definatly are life changing when you have never heard above 3kHz and then have everything shifted down to 1.5 to 2k. Things can be confusing though and for me I have had to do a lot of learning what things sound like and what and where the sound came from, somtimes a little scary and disconcerting.
Have a great day everyone!
:)

Perhaps getting tested for cochlear dead regions and having your HAs programmed around that should help?

See my reply to you here:

http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids-cochlear-implants/63249-what-high-frequency-sounds-like-2.html

Deafdude,

Never fear, a new generation of "transpositional" hearing instrument is on the way. From what I have been told, the algorithms/chipset have been developed that don't distort sounds as the shifting for loudness is done on harmonics and not primary frequencies. I may be able to hear one in January. I could have heard it next week, but I wasn't able to travel next week.

-C1

Deafdude,

Never fear, a new generation of "transpositional" hearing instrument is on the way. From what I have been told, the algorithms/chipset have been developed that don't distort sounds as the shifting for loudness is done on harmonics and not primary frequencies. I may be able to hear one in January. I could have heard it next week, but I wasn't able to travel next week.

-C1

Is this the information you were referring to??

Recognizing Sounds with Skin - Expert creates revolutionary device - Softpedia

No, its chipsets/algorithms in conventional hearing aids that allow frequency compression and transposition

-C1

Back