Do you think about your mortality?

Everybody does at some point in their life. It's natural.

Neon,

Thank you for your kind words. It has been helpful for me to hear from others and their experiences. It has put into perspective that even though what I am dealing with was hard, I am not the only one that has had to deal with it. It is interesting to wonder what waits us "on the other side". Eventually we will all find out one way or another.

For me, having children makes you really want to think about it and begin plans so that they won't be "stuck" with all the details.

Since my mother's health issues got so much worse, we tend to think of it more and more. Hubby and I had already bought plots, but they are in Missouri and we are thinking about transferring them over to my brother who can't afford to buy. Hubby has agreed to cremation when the time comes. Our kids are fine with the decision and daughter asked about having a garden like the neighbor's. We will see.

When you start having deaths amongst your family members I guarantee you you'll be thinking more about your own mortality. I suppose many do think about it and not really remember thinking about it at some point in their life. Your first pet dies while you were little may be the first time to think about mortality...like your own. And then later on your grandma dies...etc... eventually people will think about their own mortality. It's a natural. Death is probably the very best invention out there.

Steve Jobs: "Death Is Very Likely The Single Best Invention Of Life" - Forbes

I didn't either until this weekend. Either you have a very healthy view of death or you have been very fortunate.

When you start having deaths amongst your family members I guarantee you you'll be thinking more about your own mortality. I suppose many do think about it and not really remember thinking about it at some point in their life. Your first pet dies while you were little may be the first time to think about mortality...like your own. And then later on your grandma dies...etc... eventually people will think about their own mortality. It's a natural. Death is probably the very best invention out there.

or...... it's because they have already moved on past it earlier than most people.

There has been a lot of deaths in my family over the years. I come from a big family. I have lost people close to me.

However, I don't dwell on thinking of my mortality because if you die, you die. What can I do to prevent it? Not much. We just have to accept that our death is inevitable. We have to enjoy and cherish life while we have the opportunity to.

I've had people in my life die a number of times in the past. This is the first one that shook me to the core. I guess a combination of being much older now, and the suddenness of his death. I like to think I have a more healthy respect for life now than I did before. I do not fear death, nor do I seek it out. I know it's around the corner somewhere and it would be wise for me to prepare for it.

It's funny, we (at work with my co-worker) often joked about getting "hit by the bus" which means either dying or winning the lottery. The one that made the biggest joke out of it was the one that ended up dying last Friday. I guess you just never know what the future will be. I don't mind thinking about what affairs I might need to put in order should this happen to me as well. But for now, I will leave that to next year.

I've had people in my life die a number of times in the past. This is the first one that shook me to the core. I guess a combination of being much older now, and the suddenness of his death. I like to think I have a more healthy respect for life now than I did before. I do not fear death, nor do I seek it out. I know it's around the corner somewhere and it would be wise for me to prepare for it.

It's funny, we (at work with my co-worker) often joked about getting "hit by the bus" which means either dying or winning the lottery. The one that made the biggest joke out of it was the one that ended up dying last Friday. I guess you just never know what the future will be. I don't mind thinking about what affairs I might need to put in order should this happen to me as well. But for now, I will leave that to next year.

I think this is affecting you on more profound level because of 2 reasons - it took you by a surprise. and you work with him every single day for a long while now.

death in family members is kinda different story because most of them die by from illness which takes years to manifest. some died unexpectedly (ie. car accident) but chance is that you are not very close to that person and you don't see him/her everyday like your coworker.

life is indeed strange.

Husband and I decided we want to make a list for the new year. Two columns 1) things we want to do...2) places and people we want to see. It's been so long since we have been able fo enjoy our boat, walk on the beach, whatever. We are going to do it. I guess it's like a "bucket list". I love having something to look forward to. First thing we are doing is remodeling the kitchen. Something I've wanted to do for many years. I just lost interest. What a difference it makes when you have something to look forward to. I really love my life right now. So many of you have inspired me. Thanks

Has something happened in your life that made you stop and think about your own mortality? I recently lost a good friend and coworker suddenly. It was a shock and surprise as he went into the hospital for back pain and suddenly died Friday morning (two days ago from this posting). For me, the hardest part about dealing with this loss is the constant thinking about my own mortality and the fact that I have been avoiding some very hard decisions.

I don't want to die today (or any time soon). My friend had been planning his retirement and making plans for the next five years at work. Now all that planning and saving is wasted.

I intend to find some small ways to remember him and keep something of who he was alive within me. I don't want to wait to do the things that I always said I would do and never seem to have time for. I've been torn by indecision and panic these last two days. I don't want to die the way my friend did (suddenly). I want to die old, with family gathered around. Like my gf's family just experienced.

These two deaths so close together threw me for a loop. I just wonder what kind of changes you made In your life because of such an event. I am hoping you might have ideas that will help me move past this place.

Cheetah,

i am sorry loss your friend. yes i does understand what you mean is your point, i am sometime thinking "omg what if i die unexpect?" sad truth, you cannot control life sometime. that why you needing go have fun for experience everything in world and explore new gains knowledge. famous quote "life short" very true.

I think this is affecting you on more profound level because of 2 reasons - it took you by a surprise. and you work with him every single day for a long while now.

Yes

death in family members is kinda different story because most of them die by from illness which takes years to manifest. some died unexpectedly (ie. car accident) but chance is that you are not very close to that person and you don't see him/her everyday like your coworker.

life is indeed strange.

I think so too.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

No I don't really think of my mortality. It gives me the chills. Just try to enjoy my life as much as possible. We have a very short life compared to the universe and the solar system. We are just a blip of the geological age. If it was going in fast forward, we would be there in a few secs then gone.

Cheetah, I am sorry for your loss too. Losing a friend or loved one is a tough thing that we all must face at some time or another.

I really don't want to die anytime soon but when I do I know where I am going. Having that assurance of what happens after you die is a nice. We can have that assurance but I won't go into it here.

I would like to go in my sleep peacefully like my great grandfather did but we don't have that guarantee. Or maybe doing something that I love like riding motorcycles. Get life insurance, plan for the future and get things settled between yourself and God. Then after that don't worry about it and just live life, relax and enjoy it!

Yes

I think so too.

that's what i thought too, its like your co-worker was part fo your daily life,,unlike families or relatives whom you dont see often...(apart the ones you have as children in your house)

Yes

I think so too.

I picked up on that a while back in the thread. But it doesn't really matter why it is affecting you deeply. It only matters that it is, and that you are kind to yourself and allow yourself to grieve in whatever way you need to.

that's what i thought too, its like your co-worker was part fo your daily life,,unlike families or relatives whom you dont see often...(apart the ones you have as children in your house)

Exactly. The change created by the death is more intense because it is a daily witnessing of the absence.

Here is my contribution to this thread:

Reba has eternal, everlasting life. And I'm sure she would be happy to share the way and the truth for any AD member to also have the same.

post reported

Exactly, today was very surreal. It's my first day back to work that should be normal but somehow isn't. I spent a good deal of time talking with others at work that knew him as well. Some of them are pretty distraught. I just learned of another dozen or so folks that will make the two hour drive to his funeral tomorrow.

Back