Do you perfer signing english sign language, ASL or both??

coolgirlspyer90

Reaction score
HI

I sign both English and ASL. I been taught to sign English when i was in kindergarden from a old interpreter of mine. And up until now my deaf friends understands me fine and perfectly clear in my sign communications with them. BUT, this ASL teacher i know since i was about 5 or 6 years old goes to my high school and teaches ASL to high school kids (teaches ASL I and ASL II) and she thinks i need to know pure ASL, not english. Because she says Many deaf people learns ASL first then english. And she believes that I been taught sign language the wrong way. My current interpreter agreed too. And they wanted me to take the ASL teacher's class for ASL I next year. And my deaf friends said that i don't need to learn more sign. They said if i know sign, i shouldn't be taking any more classes because they understand me fine. And I'm not going to take her class next year. I wanted to take a fun class because since i'm in marching band, i had to take a 2 year course of band class in order to be in marching band. and next year i am finally free of that. SO i'm taking a computer class for photoshop pictures and stuff.

And so when the ASL teacher found out about that. I told her i had no more room in my schedule for my graduation credits. My interpreter called me out and said that i was lying and i had room in my schedule. But i don't.

What do you think about this situation? I mean, the signs that the ASL teacher teaches, is some english, not pure ASL. I seen it with my own eyes. I'm a Facility assistant in her class room which means i help her around her classroom for only one period during the school day. I believe she teaches both english and pure ASL. But she doesn't think so. She signed the english way, showing the class an example of English sign language and ASL. And had my interpreter say what shes saying, voicing it out loud. and when my interpreter tried to voice what she said in the english say, she said she had a hard time understanding her because she didn't sign ASL. But i mean I sign english with my interpreter and she understands me. But she doesn't understand the teacher signing english?? i mean, what the heck?! I don't understand why its so important between the 2 language in sign.

so, now i'm utterlessy confused.

If you are sure the teacher is wrong about her signing, I would not take the class. No use getting more mixed up.

If you don't need the credit, why take it at all? Take something else you're interested in or a study hall. My senior year, I left campus early. Can you do that?

Here where i am we speak tex-mex, which is really a combonation of english,texas-speak and spanish. We also have a lot of deaf who sigh asl and mexican sign language, the asl is often pure and sometimes not. My point is: Why limit yourself, whick is what your teacher is trying to do to you. Tell her to cut it out and herself to learn the many different ways to communicate. I know one young lady who knows english, spanish and signs in asl and mexican sign language, i am jealous of her....good luck

She shouldn't be forcing you to take something that you don't need or aren't required to take. :(

To answer to your question, I prefer to sign in ASL.

Asl

I am anxious to learn to speak it correctly and teach it to my grandchildren . Do you all have any suggestions on teaching my grandchildren?:hmm:

HI

I sign both English and ASL. I been taught to sign English when i was in kindergarden from a old interpreter of mine. And up until now my deaf friends understands me fine and perfectly clear in my sign communications with them. BUT, this ASL teacher i know since i was about 5 or 6 years old goes to my high school and teaches ASL to high school kids (teaches ASL I and ASL II) and she thinks i need to know pure ASL, not english. Because she says Many deaf people learns ASL first then english. And she believes that I been taught sign language the wrong way. My current interpreter agreed too. And they wanted me to take the ASL teacher's class for ASL I next year. And my deaf friends said that i don't need to learn more sign. They said if i know sign, i shouldn't be taking any more classes because they understand me fine. And I'm not going to take her class next year. I wanted to take a fun class because since i'm in marching band, i had to take a 2 year course of band class in order to be in marching band. and next year i am finally free of that. SO i'm taking a computer class for photoshop pictures and stuff.

And so when the ASL teacher found out about that. I told her i had no more room in my schedule for my graduation credits. My interpreter called me out and said that i was lying and i had room in my schedule. But i don't.

What do you think about this situation? I mean, the signs that the ASL teacher teaches, is some english, not pure ASL. I seen it with my own eyes. I'm a Facility assistant in her class room which means i help her around her classroom for only one period during the school day. I believe she teaches both english and pure ASL. But she doesn't think so. She signed the english way, showing the class an example of English sign language and ASL. And had my interpreter say what shes saying, voicing it out loud. and when my interpreter tried to voice what she said in the english say, she said she had a hard time understanding her because she didn't sign ASL. But i mean I sign english with my interpreter and she understands me. But she doesn't understand the teacher signing english?? i mean, what the heck?! I don't understand why its so important between the 2 language in sign.

so, now i'm utterlessy confused.

You need to examine yourself and decide what you want and what you expect your future to hold.

If you expect to live your whole life where you are at and expect to pretty much associate with the friends you have and new ones who join your group as you go along then obviously you do not need anything more than what you have on a social level. Any group of friends will develop a comfortable relationship with each other's signing.

But is this true? Perhaps you will someday find a reason, or an opportunity to move somewhere else where you are not known and people aren't as comfy with your signing.

Is it possible you might want to become involved in the larger "D" Deaf community? Then you should seriously consider learning ASL.

By the way, if you are fluent in both SEE and ASL you can become a professional interpreter even if you are totally deaf. The same is true for BSL.

So forget what anyone else thinks you should or should not do. Examine yourself: That is where the answer lies.

I am anxious to learn to speak it correctly and teach it to my grandchildren . Do you all have any suggestions on teaching my grandchildren?:hmm:

When with them, just sign to them the name of all objects and actions you involve in with them.

HI

And my deaf friends said that i don't need to learn more sign. They said if i know sign, i shouldn't be taking any more classes because they understand me fine.

If the sign language you know works with the Deaf people in your life, then I don't see why you need to learn more. Unless, of course, you want to have more flexibility (in case you meet pure ASL signers in the future).

and when my interpreter tried to voice what she said in the english say, she said she had a hard time understanding her because she didn't sign ASL. But i mean I sign english with my interpreter and she understands me. But she doesn't understand the teacher signing english?? i mean, what the heck?! I don't understand why its so important between the 2 language in sign.

If she's an interpreter, shouldn't she be able to recognize all types of signing? After all I thought interpreters were required to have the flexibility to work with Deaf clients from all backgrounds.

As far as the OP's question, I would prefer to just know enough sign language to sign either SEE, PSE or ASL. I know a lot of signs, but I have an issue putting them together. I am working on it, but it's not easy when I don't have anyone else to work with daily.

Well... I want to learn how to sign in true ASL, but since my first language was English, I tend to sign more Pidgen. So, I would prefer ASL, but kind 0f English is easier. lol

I don't think she is really taking a poll on your preferences. She wants to know if knowing pure ASL is necessary since she can make herself understood to her deaf friends as she is. :)

Berry gave some well thought out advice. What he said.

It is not so much a question of whether or not you understand ASL, SEE, MSE, CASE, AMSLAN, etc... but it is most important to be exposed to as many "native" signers as possible to expose yourself to the continuum of styles, ranges and variations of sign language. If you understand deaf people, then you will have an easier time understanding signed language expression.

Coolgirlspyer90,I can't see any reasons you should go on learning ASL if you aren't interested.

But then, when you tell other people with more education than you, they are wrong, you have to expect some reactions..?

HI

If the sign language you know works with the Deaf people in your life, then I don't see why you need to learn more. Unless, of course, you want to have more flexibility (in case you meet pure ASL signers in the future).

If she's an interpreter, shouldn't she be able to recognize all types of signing? After all I thought interpreters were required to have the flexibility to work with Deaf clients from all backgrounds.

Interpreters hired by public schools usually arent certified hence their low skills. The better skilled terps tend to work at places with higher pay. Public schools, from my experience, dont pay them well.

Back