do you marry deaf person or hearing person?

Aloha,

I am from Thailand and I moved to Hawaii for my love 2 months ago. I am getting married with an ameican hearing fiance in 2 weeks :D :D

Raven said:
HOH/Deaf people would be too obnoxious for me to handle. Forget about marriage anyhow. How else would I be able to carry on a conversation with them anyhow?

As mentioned before BY OTHERS, intellegence is something I thrive on.

edit: I've had a relationship with a HOH girl before, and it wasn't pleasant. Aren't relationship supposed to be open with communication, not with physical activities? Also, some concern with being another HOH/deaf is raising a family, what if a child cries in the next room? Who would hear if either one does not wear hearing aids?

ps: I'm hearing impaired.

So you dont think we deaf ladies can handle raising a family even if a child cries in the next room? It doesnt matter if we wear hearing aids or not...there is an equipment that has baby monitor with lights to get our attention...or we just simple to keep checking on our child. Plain and Simple! :roll:

Sweetexpress said:
I have enjoyed reading all of these responses. Speaking from a hearing side who dated a deaf man, I learned so much about deaf culture! It was very eye opening for me. The blunt way of speaking and the teasing were two things I kind of had trouble with. The communication was pretty good but as I learn to sign better ASL, I knew it could be better. I realize not all men are alike and that goes for deaf men too, but I felt kind of smothered by him. He seemed very dependent on someone helping him do simple enough things like make a medical appointment or find out the details of his medical insurance... and he is in his 40's! I talked to a deaf girlfriend of mine and she was of the opinion that most deaf men are clingy and dependent and she doesn't like dating them. I hope this isn't true. I love ASL and I find it to be one of my favorite ways to "express," and I like the way HE can express back!

When, and if, I do meet another man. I think I would like him to be deaf and enjoy being in both the deaf and hearing world. What a great way to share.

xx :wave:

Actually it is true for alot of deaf men but not all of them.

I was married to deaf man for 2 years..I divorced him. Been divorced for 3 years. I had bad experienced dating deaf men. I prefer to date and marry to hearing man. I noticed deaf men here in Oklahoma are immature and dont have job!

With today being the 2nd anniversary of my split, I can declare I'm finished with the idea of marriage.

Richard

Nesmuth said:
With today being the 2nd anniversary of my split, I can declare I'm finished with the idea of marriage.

Richard

Are you Richard Meyers?

R3na3Blyth3 said:
I dated a lot of deafies but ended up marrying a hearing guy -- am still married to him today. 6 years and nearly 2 months. :D

Update...am no longer with my hearing husband as I separated from him last December. Am with this absolutely WONDERFUL deaf guy now. ;) *mwahies* my Toddy boi! :D

I am deaf lady and mother of 2 teenager girls and my husband is hearing and have been married 20 years but it will be 21 yrs on August this year. I have learn my lesson that my first marriage wasn't work out very well that was the hearing husband (1st one) so I look around to make sure the guy has good personality and same hobbies as we loves to do like snowsking or riding the horses and other etcs.....Because I didn't have no experience with dating with guys before because I didn't have no boyfriends in high school until I got it in college and My mom haven't time to explain to me about the dating rules. So anyway, I have learn my lesson to start over again with next guy for going very slowing, not fast dates. I will have to lecture my girls about dating rules and my mistakes from my past. I don't blame my mom for that she was working all the times to bring the paycheck home to support all of my sister and brother and my dad too.

I would marry a deaf person if he would be patient with me to learn the language better. I can understand why deaf people would have reservations about marrying me. Anyone who loves someone enough will take the time to learn the new language.

I think the reason why the majority of the population does not understand hearing culture is because it is portrayed incorrectly in the media. The hearing culture has been bombarded with programs that portray the deaf person we all should feel sorry for (reasons are numerous) and the hearing hero that has reached out to the deaf community to prove that they are "just like us".

I think a movie should be made about a hearing child who is adopted by kind deaf parents. It could have subtitles for all of us English speaking folk. Any movie directors out there? I'd pay $9.50 to see that instead of the crap they have in the movie theater now. Better yet, put it on tv.

I'm not married (yet) but my boyfriend is hearing and he wants to learn sign language so I am happy about that! He didn't know I was hard of hearing until I told him a while after we were together - that showed me that I can fool people well with speechreading and that he doesn't pay attention to me a lot of the time (but I already kinda knew that LOL)!

:ily: Nick but you should pay attention to me more often!

Julia

Jellybean said:
I think a movie should be made about a hearing child who is adopted by kind deaf parents. It could have subtitles for all of us English speaking folk. Any movie directors out there? I'd pay $9.50 to see that instead of the crap they have in the movie theater now. Better yet, put it on tv.

I know a film student my friend Brian. I will ask him what he thinks about it! I will tell u if he likes that idea! Maybe I can get him to consider that for a film he makes someday! I think he'll probably make car chase movies or annoying things starring Ashton Kutcher (sorry I don't like him!) but maybe this will get him to think about something else.

Julia

I been married to Hawaiian deaf woman and been treat me very good...

She sometimes argue with me about financial matters and demand save more money in the bank for life. I have to admitted it. Because she has the reason to do the right thing to do . But I know about need money save for support of our family in the future and keep our money builds up all the way up none down. She is very sweet person and never cheat on me for since 1994 and she has the true heart of love with me and 2 daughters too.

a deaf or a hoh person.....that way i won't have to deal with saying "What?" all the time or the lovely effect of the hearing aid chasity belt ;)

Back