Do you like to dance?

outoftheblox

Reaction score
Hi all!

I’m hoping to learn more about your experiences with music and dance, and to hopefully make a tool that is enjoyable for deaf/HOH people to use while dancing. One of my ideas is to make a portable device that gives you tactile feedback (from sounds), to help with staying on beat and experiencing the music in perhaps a new way.

I’m interested in learning about if/how you all like to dance (with music, without music, feeling the music, etc.), and so I wanted to start a discussion about it here. I’ve looked through the forums and found it really interesting that people can feel the music if it is loud enough.

I understand surveys are frowned upon here, and I definitely don’t want to treat the members here as experiment “subjects”, but if you have any interest in this project idea perhaps you could answer a few of my questions here, so I can make something that is relevant and useful to this community:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1K74l5WVDmso6dl5FB7oGaWy-N6jrHFwOb3aVwt341Sk/viewform

Cheers, happy dancing!

I used to dance in the Contemporary and ballet dances years ago. I liked to dance mostly in ballet which had discipline and commitment to study ballet for years. The reason why I took them was because I had problem with balance, most common in deafness.

In addition I went to many Powwows for traditional dances. Also I watched dancers performed in competition traditional dances like Gathering of Nations Competition Powwows in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

In most dances, I felt vibrations a lot of times especially the drums which I danced closely to the Powwows drummers. They were amazing drummers.

I am an Elder of 68 going to be 69 in November. :)

Thanks for sharing! Did you find that practicing ballet helped with balance? I've experienced those deep vibrations of drums before too, usually in my chest. Sometimes it can even be uncomfortable for me if too intense, but it's a cool feeling regardless. Where do you feel it?

Thanks for sharing! Did you find that practicing ballet helped with balance? I've experienced those deep vibrations of drums before too, usually in my chest. Sometimes it can even be uncomfortable for me if too intense, but it's a cool feeling regardless. Where do you feel it?

Yes, I think that dancing whether modern dance or ballet help me control my balance. It is not 100% perfect in balancing, but I managed it. When I am not dancing, I still have balance problem as usual.

I was dancing in ballet classes, they had a wooden floor which I could feel the vibrations through my feet by loud piano playing (it is almost like echo, I think). Also they would play the cassette recording of symphony music to match our ballet dancing but I could not understand the notes or the music very well. I just watched the dancers beside me or in front of me. I also counted the rhythm like a clock timing when I did my ballet steps.

When I am on the powwows ground, I could not feel on the ground at all but when the drummers were drumming, I felt them on my chest and with my hearing aid, it was pretty loud as long as I danced close to the drummers' circle (which was on the center or side of the circle).

Hope that answer your questions. :)

I like Zumba and really enjoy the drums and dancing at pow wows. I danced in Intertribal portion.

I haven't been to one in a while. My dad and I were thinking of going to gether but it didn't work out.

My mom and dad won a dance contest but I never saw them dance . :(
None of us girls in my family really got into dancing . I did like to dance when I was younger but I think I would fall on my face now with my poor balance .LOL!

Not mentioned above- a Cochlear Implant picks up music/dance etc for person using one.

My very direct experience since August/07- when my Implant externals were hooked.
Interesting - first dance 3 days after.

Fortunately for me- the many dances I went to "assisted my brain in accepting music".
Thus my prior comment- going to Cochlear Implant exercise-dancing. Latin American/Swing.
Next dances-Thursday/Friday/Saturday & Sunday.

Back