Do you know how...

FeistyChick

Reaction score
Chicago got its nickname--- the "WINDY CITY???"

i wonder if some of you know!!??? :D

Hmmmm, I seem to vaguely recall that Chicago was called that for a lot of reasons but one of them sticks out in my mind.....something to do with competition between Chicago and Cinncinnati for some obscure title as having the best/most, etc in the animal slaughtering trade.

Maybe the Twinnies know more......?

The origin of the "Windy City" nickname is a bit more obscure.

It is thought to be based not on the wind velocity, but on loud and windy boosterism. A Chicago Daily News article from Sept. 22, 1969 gives this origin:

Blame it on John Stephan Wright and William (Deacon) Bross, two local boosters (windbags, some might say), who went up and down the East Coast yelling about the wonders of Chicago, according to Daily News library clippings.... Because of their loud boasts of the virtues of the city, Chicago was dubbed the "Windy City" after its "windy" citizenry in the 1850s, according to stories.

Hmmmm, I seem to vaguely recall that Chicago was called that for a lot of reasons but one of them sticks out in my mind.....something to do with competition between Chicago and Cinncinnati for some obscure title as having the best/most, etc in the animal slaughtering trade.

Maybe the Twinnies know more......?

sorry to burst your bubble, but it is INCORRECT! :D :P

The origin of the "Windy City" nickname is a bit more obscure.

It is thought to be based not on the wind velocity, but on loud and windy boosterism. A Chicago Daily News article from Sept. 22, 1969 gives this origin:

Blame it on John Stephan Wright and William (Deacon) Bross, two local boosters (windbags, some might say), who went up and down the East Coast yelling about the wonders of Chicago, according to Daily News library clippings.... Because of their loud boasts of the virtues of the city, Chicago was dubbed the "Windy City" after its "windy" citizenry in the 1850s, according to stories.

that is correct... but this is why:
Chicago was competing with New York to host the 1893 Columbian Exposition and Dana allegedly coined the name as a derogatory moniker. Supposedly the term is not a reference to the winds off Lake Michigan as one might suppose, but rather refers to the Chicagoan habit of rabid boosterism and shameless boasting. To a New Yorker like Dana, Chicago was full of hot air.

and also:
includes an 1887 quotation of "Windy City, but the myth persists--largely due to newspaper reporters and editors who repeat the tale without checking the facts.

*** this is interesting because most people that i know claim that chicago got its name due to the breezes/wind off of lake michigan... i never knew the real reason until i moved here! :D ***

AHHH! thanks for the heads up! :D

BUT WHY!??? :confused:

i think each city is good for its own "uniqueness!" :squint: :P

LOL.... oh well, all people have different personal and opinion on living in city, village or town, that their choice to make love it or hate it. I know every cities have pros and cons.

LOL.... oh well, all people have different personal and opinion on living in city, village or town, that their choice to make love it or hate it. I know every cities have pros and cons.

oh i know that... i was just saying that each city has its uniqueness... people who have NEVER landed a foot in nyc claim that it is one of the worst cities!??? :shock: i am like... chicago, and other cities are no better than nyc!!! and it is not as bad as they think it is until they SEE IT FOR THEMSELVES!!! :squint:

I LOVE CHICAGO FOR ITS SUMMERS/ATTRACTIONS BUT I DETEST THE BRUTAL WINTER WEATHER... but it doesn't mean that chicago sucks ass overall!!! :D

so i'd like to know why kingofboobs hates chi-town!??? dc is a great city!!! but it is not safe either! :nana:

interest.. i always thought it's from people's fart that cause.

I have been in Chicago, love that and want visit there again. I have some friends in there.

Windy City'icans tends bad driver and high speed. Reckles almost accident! *mumbling*

oh i know that... i was just saying that each city has its uniqueness... people who have NEVER landed a foot in nyc claim that it is one of the worst cities!??? :shock: i am like... chicago, and other cities are no better than nyc!!! and it is not as bad as they think it is until they SEE IT FOR THEMSELVES!!! :squint:

I LOVE CHICAGO FOR ITS SUMMERS/ATTRACTIONS BUT I DETEST THE BRUTAL WINTER WEATHER... but it doesn't mean that chicago sucks ass overall!!! :D

so i'd like to know why kingofboobs hates chi-town!??? dc is a great city!!! but it is not safe either! :nana:

yea kingofnoob like boobs.. u label him kingofboobs.. :rofl: good one.. i never thought of that..

Windy City'icans tends bad driver and high speed. Reckles almost accident! *mumbling*

yea, i dont like any big city or else.. i rather to live in country.. that place is less crime and good nature place where there is no many ppl..

are you mocking someone??? :squint:

captain.jpg

Hail to Captain America!

i have been to chicago several times and i alway hated to drive through there except for late at night like 3 am then it was really beautiful drive, with those lights on buildings and no traffic jams even though i still cant believe how fast drivers goes lol.

i also has been to nyc and this i can tell u... as much as i love nyc... i m terrified of yellow taxi lol... i dared to ride one with my friend justin once and i was like omg! they really dont care about other cars and shyt they just zoom and doing the zipzag to our designation lol. after that one ride we stick with american taxi... much nicer car and more gentle but more expensive too.

i think i have been to many cities but i have slept through most of them lol. i only been to milwaukee, chicago, nyc, st paul, and ind city (cant spell that one) and i have to agree with fristychick.. each city has their own unqiuness but i dont think id ever want to live in any of them lol.

Back