Do you know any signs for countries?

J'explique

Reaction score
I'm sure we are curious what are the signs for each country all over the globe but unfortunately, not every I know most of signs for well-known countries like Australia, Italy, Japan, Germany, France, England, so go on. However, I am wondering about the meaning behind the sign for Sweden? Ideas?

Feel free to ask questions about the sign of a country you are not too sure about.

The sign for Norway = because of the mountains. Norway is well know for its mountains I suppose.

I dunno why about the sign is like that for Sweden. Any swedish signing residents here?
London = I know, not a country... but the reason is obvious for this sign! LOL JK

I thought it was funny that some peeps sign "Germany" with the hand on the head and some say "butterfly" (referring to the nazi bird?), but I'd like to know how Liebling signs Deutschland. :P

You can look up most countries at ASLPro
They dont have too many signs. Im trying to collect signs for all countries and must say that it is rather difficult, as people dont brace to learn names of the country so much, just the most popular. Maybe bad geographic knowledge? :eek3: Any way, I will try to explain why Sweden is such sign. The case that in old Sweden many people wore the coat with some special skin ont arms.

I'm sure we are curious what are the signs for each country all over the globe but unfortunately, not every I know most of signs for well-known countries like Australia, Italy, Japan, Germany, France, England, so go on. However, I am wondering about the meaning behind the sign for Sweden? Ideas?

Feel free to ask questions about the sign of a country you are not too sure about.
sorry for question jéxplique, but could u answer on the last question in this tread if u from France (I guess just u could know the signes for them as most of the countries r frenchspeakers and French SL probably has sign for them):
http://www.alldeaf.com/sign-language-oralism/43170-countries-signs.html

I went to London,England last Nov.2002 and im learn from people have different signs not same signs in American but i never taught signs in England but i would love to learn signs in England what i wanted it.

but i never learn any signs in countries befores but i wanted learn whatsoevers signs in countries know what mean.

im hope i would like learn sign in England i wanted it.

Here are the two countries I know.

Scotland - The "4 hand" crosses the opposite upper arm. (Similar to the way the "H" hand does for "Hospital"). Showing the plaid pattern used on a kilt.

Ireland - "Hooked 'V' (or double "X") circles the back of the opposite hand and lands. Similar to the sign for 'potato'.

"Canada" is A-hand taps side of chest (if you sign with right hand, tap right side of chest; if you sign with left hand, tap left side), and i think it has to do with Mounties... and rifles... or something....

Back