Do you have pain when using CI?

radka73

Reaction score
Any discomfort?
Headache? Earache?
Tingling and burning at the magnet?
Astringent feeling and pressure in the implant site?
I have implant Nucleus 5 one and half year.
It has been tested a lot of settings and no help.

I have had my Advanced Bionics-Harmony Cochlear Implant since August 8, 2007. To date I have not experienced any of the problems listed.-above.

Aside: So far don't perceive my Implant to be "heavy" on my ear -at all. It hasn't bothered me at all-so far. It was mentioned in passing-some people have noticed the "weight " of their Implant. Perhaps the fact I had a Phonak LL6 Hearing aid for years-made me "used" to something on the ear.
I don't have Neptune

Would your audi be able to alleviate the problems-adjusting the Implant?

Last edited:
every now and then I feel some sensitivity at the magnet site, so I just readjust the headpiece and even add some moleskin if needed. But mostly, it's just the weight of the BTE processor weighing down my ear that causes my ear to hurt after several hours. But I fix this by hanging the BTE off the arm of my glasses for a while to give my ear a break. Also nice having an off the ear processor as backup if I truly need a break from the BTE (I have the AB implant and both Harmony and Neptune processors).

I have a weak program. I have the volume to maximum.
Afternoon my program is not enough. It's very low. I just can not amplify
I have a second same program, but C limits set out above - the program is louder. Also, I have the volume to maximum. But that's the problem. Magnet begins to burn and pain in the ear. Also headaches.
The processor must go down.

if the magnet is hurting you, maybe the magnet strength is too strong? Can you loosen the magnet strength to see if that helps?

Hi everyone. I'm N5 user since last Oct 2012 from the Nucelus Freedom. I had experience with little burn on my magnet once time. I adjusted the sensitive level and volume levels on remote. I have to take sound processor off for a half minutes until headache goes away. I turned Ci on again and hearing fine. How long do you use N5?

I have Nucleus 5 1,5 years.
It's been a long time. It's still not resolved.
I got a weak magnet. Number 2. Before I had a magnet number 3.
No change.
Sensitivity adjustment and volume level does not help.
Still I wrestling with the fact that my sound changes in the afternoon. Whether weakening (increase can not) or I change frequency - it can not tell. Uncomfortable pressure, and there are still burning, the processor I must discard the evening. If I do not postpone processor at the first feelings, so I will have a headache and pressure in the ear and in place the implant remains long.
Sometimes there is some discomfort during the day. Eg. morning on the tram after half an hour wearing the processor that it must for some time off, or off. Then I activate it again and again is a few hours bearable.

I have Nucleus 5 1,5 years.
It's been a long time. It's still not resolved.
I got a weak magnet. Number 2. Before I had a magnet number 3.
No change.
Sensitivity adjustment and volume level does not help.
Still I wrestling with the fact that my sound changes in the afternoon. Whether weakening (increase can not) or I change frequency - it can not tell. Uncomfortable pressure, and there are still burning, the processor I must discard the evening. If I do not postpone processor at the first feelings, so I will have a headache and pressure in the ear and in place the implant remains long.
Sometimes there is some discomfort during the day. Eg. morning on the tram after half an hour wearing the processor that it must for some time off, or off. Then I activate it again and again is a few hours bearable.

I am so sorry. I could not believe that your audiologist have not done anything about it?? What did the audiologist say?

Of course they are trying to solve it, Radka is just asking if anyone else has experienced similar problems and how s/he dealt with it.

Of course they are trying to solve it, Radka is just asking if anyone else has experienced similar problems and how s/he dealt with it.

my hub has a CI and didnt have the same experience as radka73. I think it was AWFUL for radka to be suffering too long,. :shock:

Audiologist tries, but fails to do it.
He Decreased T-levels and he ook Decreased C-levels.
He classes everything. He changed speed stimulation. He tried it turn off both the grounding electrodes.
A month ago, it was interesting that alcohol did wonders! I drank beer and apricot brandy! And the next day, a miracle happened!
I've heard really great!
I was surprised how
can distinguish sounds nice (so do not unified sound) - when playing television in the background, I hear the phone ringing and person speaking as well can be heard loud and
speech is understandable (even in noise). I hear TV. I singing
understandable in the background music.
I hear report in the tram. I discerned a call to hear there were people (usually not
hear at all).
But it took only a few hours.
But evening I'm started firing magnet (like when you
metal parts of the battery on the tongue), and the whole ear started push.
This situation was only once every 1,5 years.
I'm going on Friday for the engineer. He check the settings CI. And then I ordered the doctor who operated on me.
We'll see what it will say.

interesting. hope they will be able to find what went wrong. Maybe FLUID gets in the way. I dont know anything about it. BUT i hope you are feeling better soon.

Hello.
So the result is.
I have a new adjustment. The processor is tuned. I can hear better. I can listen to TV.
I hear the music.
Leader engineer was playing with them about 2.5 hours.
Then he have done the tests. He experiment at fatigue nerve.
The result was normal. But the tests were in the morning. A short period of time.
They tests is not objective.

Then tried some hearings on the electrodes.
When the engineer the increased volume to the one electrode (frequency) to the maximum, the volume was the same. I do not grow the volume.

Then I went to the doctor who operated on me.

Because I hear in the morning and in the afternoon or otherwise. The sound varies. Speech is distorted. Incomprehensible.
It is assumed increased neuronal fatigue auditory nerve.

As for the combustion of CI at the receiver stimulator to the pressure and headache. It is possible that stimulation currents escape.
Due to the fact that I was in for surgery (June 2011). At the time, when was withdrawn N5 (September 2011) due to a malfunction - Cochlear recall. Is the risk of damage to my CI. We need to do the tests.
Meanwhile integrity tests were negative. But the risk is there.

I have two medications: Prednisone 20mg tablets and Cinarizin.

Back