Do You Have Any Regrets?

I regret not being able to understand hearing people with an interpreters. That would be much better in my elementary school and high school years ago, if they should have make the request for an interpreters in the mainstream school. Yes, I was very angry with the Audists for putting me through difficult time. As for the hearing aid (only one I have in my left ear), I could hear the noise or sounds not clearly but hearing people expect me to hear and they are happy that I talked to family members and hearing people. I regret not be able to find something worthy of me doing like using my brain which I am smart and participate on the kind of job that I am capable of doing what I like best. I want to be smart like my sister who was a straight A student. I was jealous of her. Now I am just as proud of being Deaf and growing old gracefully and no regret. Only thing is to worry about the future of our Deaf generation before I am gone from this Earth. ;)

Forgot to put the word in like I regret not being able to understand hearing people without an interpreters. :Oops:

I regret marrying the jerk I married. Wait...that doesn't have anything to do with deafness. Too bad! Since that's my biggest regret ever...I wish I could go back in time and erase that part. Oh well.

I regret marrying the jerk I married. Wait...that doesn't have anything to do with deafness. Too bad! Since that's my biggest regret ever...I wish I could go back in time and erase that part. Oh well.

I know where you are coming from because I feel the same way about the asshole I call my husband.:rl:

I regret this thread deteriorated to male-bashing.

I have no regrets being deaf. While being deaf is not something I'd have chosen for myself, there's no point in wishing you could be something that you can't ever be. I am thankful that being around Deaf widened my views though.

I have a lot of regrets but being Deaf is not one of them. What's there to regret about being deaf?

I have never liked being deaf. However, I have learned a long time ago that I have to accept my lot in life and move on. So, I'm now fine with it and found that it has been beneficial to me in understanding people better (we all have our problems in life both those that are obvious and not so obvious).

So, my main regret is fighting acceptance of who and what I am. However, I will say due to that battle, I'm a better person. So, in that sense I don't regret it.

I always dream of playing drums. The real set. No regret for me not to hear it, I could play well with knowledge of sounds!

I do think of the past at times, but I don't regret it. It made me who I am today. I don't sit back and dwell one the could have, should have, would have, Ifs and all that stuff. I just think about what I have now. Live life, the best way I can.

I do think of the past at times, but I don't regret it. It made me who I am today. I don't sit back and dwell one the could have, should have, would have, Ifs and all that stuff. I just think about what I have now. Live life, the best way I can.

Very healthy attitude. Shoulda, coulda, woulda are the stuff of the neurotic.

But if you hadn't married this jerk then you wouldn't have two beautiful little girls :)

I regret not having a better relationship with my dad
I regret not having good conversational skills within a group (I sit in a corner quietly while the discussion bounces back and forth between the others)
I regret not having stood up for myself more.

I regret allowing mis-communication to kill friendships
I regret allowing people to write me off as 'lesser than'.
I regret allowing myself to be stuck in a hole of loneliness.

I regret telling myself I cant achieve because I cant hear
I regret telling myself its not a realistic dream because I cant hear
I regret telling myself 'you were born in the wrong place'.

so many regrets, but the longer we think of these regrets the more consumed we become to achieve time travel, that for now is science fiction. As an above poster said - the what ifs, could haves, should haves, and whys are for the nuerotic.

I choose to be sane to myself and not dwell on the past, but instead long for the contentment of the moment.

Very healthy attitude. Shoulda, coulda, woulda are the stuff of the neurotic.

Thanks. I believe all the Should ofs, Could ofs, would ofs, Is not going to help the present! The past is the past. Life goes on. With or with out a person dwelling the past. People need to think about what they will do to help them do better in the future. What is done is DONE. Can not turn back time. But everyone has a choice to live life the fullest or to dwell on the past.

I regret not having a better relationship with my dad
I regret not having good conversational skills within a group (I sit in a corner quietly while the discussion bounces back and forth between the others)
I regret not having stood up for myself more.

I regret allowing mis-communication to kill friendships
I regret allowing people to write me off as 'lesser than'.
I regret allowing myself to be stuck in a hole of loneliness.

I regret telling myself I cant achieve because I cant hear
I regret telling myself its not a realistic dream because I cant hear
I regret telling myself 'you were born in the wrong place'.

so many regrets, but the longer we think of these regrets the more consumed we become to achieve time travel, that for now is science fiction. As an above poster said - the what ifs, could haves, should haves, and whys are for the nuerotic.

I choose to be sane to myself and not dwell on the past, but instead long for the contentment of the moment.

:gpost:

Thanks. I believe all the Should ofs, Could ofs, would ofs, Is not going to help the present! The past is the past. Life goes on. With or with out a person dwelling the past. People need to think about what they will do to help them do better in the future. What is done is DONE. Can not turn back time. But everyone has a choice to live life the fullest or to dwell on the past.

Yep, there is always lot of "what if?, should've been, could've been, if only?" that lot of people would have felt that way thinking about the past. So, I guess accpet the circumstances. Avoid blaming others but rather take responsibility for anything that you could have better handled. I guess all of us wish we can handle the past regret a little bit better. But I think it's "okay" to grieve for your regrets. When we feel regret, we relive guilt, sadness or anger over and over again. Allowing yourself to experience these feelings fully with the intention of moving forward can help you stop revisiting them. I agree putting the past behind us and move one foot forward. :cool:

I wish I stood up to my Dad sooner....I regret that I didn't stand up against my Dad for wanting to learn more ASL....He didn't like the idea of his daughter using Deaf language...it's like he's ashamed that his daughter is actually deaf....I think he felt like I was "hearing" since I have CI and is speaking oral. But when he sees me Signing with my deaf friends...I think he sees me as "deaf" daughter and is ashamed of it.

I agree with you :)

Back