Do you have any Deaf Dog and Deaf Cat?

kcrocker

Reaction score
I am proud owner of deaf yellow lab dog and recently adopted a stray deaf white cat with blue and green eyes, he was found (strangely) at deaf persons house.
I just wanted to see what you have to say about deaf animals that you own..
Deaf dogs are so easy to train. All you have to know ASL to communicate with him....
As for deaf cat.. I wasn't so sure how to communicate him in sign language. I just adopted him like two months ago.. I just wanted to let you know that I was amazed this morning with deaf cat. I had hamster sitting around in its cage and deaf cat wanted to screw it up. I tapped him and I motion my arm to let him know that he was not wanted there and to get out of my room. He did leave it alone and left my room. I was floored by it.. I was wondering if anyone owns deaf cat and would like to share their experience with me on how they communicate with their deaf cats..
Thanks!!

My Deaf Cat Mister

Hello - I have a deaf cat named Mister. I do not know much about the reasons he is deaf because we adopted him as an adult and soon noticed he could not hear. He can sometimes hear really loud, deep sounds but can not determine the direction the sounds are coming from. He usually just lounges around our yard but can startle easily if he is snuck up on by humans or other cats. I usually try to approach him from the front.

His favorite game is to chase a stick that hold in my hand and scratch the ground in front of him with. It works best when leaves are on the ground and the end of the stick stays on the ground. It helps to keep the stick in his field of view the whole time.

Since he does not usually hear or respond to cars soming into the driveway, I made a sign to inform the drivers of his presence.

Let me know if anyone wants a copy!

Deaf Cat Area Sign

I am proud owner of deaf yellow lab dog and recently adopted a stray deaf white cat with blue and green eyes, he was found (strangely) at deaf persons house.
I just wanted to see what you have to say about deaf animals that you own..
Deaf dogs are so easy to train. All you have to know ASL to communicate with him....
As for deaf cat.. I wasn't so sure how to communicate him in sign language. I just adopted him like two months ago.. I just wanted to let you know that I was amazed this morning with deaf cat. I had hamster sitting around in its cage and deaf cat wanted to screw it up. I tapped him and I motion my arm to let him know that he was not wanted there and to get out of my room. He did leave it alone and left my room. I was floored by it.. I was wondering if anyone owns deaf cat and would like to share their experience with me on how they communicate with their deaf cats..
Thanks!!

I had white with blue eyes cat I raised him as kitten ..he was abandoned like two weeks old kitten i bottlefed him.... he got killed by a car running over.... it broke my heart

My counslor have a white cat with blue eyes that is deaf. We don't have any pets ourselves yet until we get the house. :fingersx:

I had white with blue eyes cat I raised him as kitten ..he was abandoned like two weeks old kitten i bottlefed him.... he got killed by a car running over.... it broke my heart

I had a kitten was abandoned by her mother.I bottlefed her and she died 15 years later of cancer.

Hello,I have hearing black dachshund three yrs old, I had before white dachshund deaf but I feel bad for her because somone didnt care of dog for over year and STAY IN THE CAGE 7/24 as I am so soft my heart and take that dog bring with me for 6 months later we realized why ? because she pee everywhere my house and we tried teach to her often often often plus bite another my friends as not worth for us as afraid someone sue us but it is worth that dog already birth four puppied and we have two puppies. Dog gave to someone, that person love dog as worth for to person happy with dog and that Dog happy with person better me.. I guess ?? my kids pick on her grr ( Dog need peaceful and quite place instead kids pick on her ) but my kids loveee puppies my goshh!! :)

My nephew and his girlfriend have a Deaf cat. I haven't met her yet!

I helped one of the Deaf people to adopt the Deaf/Blind cat thru my work/animal shelter. I later learned that she has some hearing -- and her sight is okay not fully blind but possibly a poor perception. Won't jump to the floor from the table or counter and missed things that moved. Maybe Blurry? It is due to severely infected in her eyes when abandoned in the empty apartment. Had kids too!

She is a very pretty Siamese mixed with blue eyes!

I am an Auntie! I see her every now and then. Meow

I have Hard of Hearing " Chessie" Henry.. I got him thur website " deaf dog adopted".

house20008.jpg

Hey! Don't forget Deaf Ferrets!

I've got a deaf ferret! I love her a whole bunch! She so much fun to play with. I can't sign with her, but she does come running when I get her attention by the floor vibrations and when she sees me signing "fifteen" (don't ask!). She loves following her two "brothers" who are hearing. :ty: :hyper:

My hubby's sister have Deaf white fat cat and passed away due aging.
She's really miss her favorite Deaf white fat cat three years ago.

She really want have another Deaf Cat so badly...

Hey... I have a deaf dalamation (sp?) and she is precious!! I got her about two years ago. The owner before me had to let her go because she was retiring and wanted to travel. She knew a little bit of sign so she did her best to teach the dog. I was nervous about having a deaf dog... but I did have another dog that was hearing, so I decided to try it. She is my best friend and I take her EVERYWHERE when I can. LOL Her name is Dottie Dot and she will respond when I sign her name and give her commands. The other dog is a Shar-Pei breed and she knows her sign name, as well as sign commands. I recently got another dog... a black lab and he is still learning his sign name. Everyone in my family knows sign and uses it with all 3 dogs... Even my parents. (I'm one of those lucky ones whose parents learned sign language) If you use ASL with your animals, what commands do they understand?? Just wondering...

It is funny because DD sleeps when we are not at home and she used to jump out of her skin when I woke her up to let her know I was home, so now, I just leave her alone, the other dogs usually wake her up on their own. LOL

She hates the dark and when it storms. We have had power outages a few times and she freaks out big time! She has to TOUCH me at all times and that is so hard to do when you are trying to walk... and you can't see anything! If I am not around, she will stick to my oldest daughter and it drives her batty. LOL Do your deaf animals freak out in the dark??

Another thing I think is so funny, when she is mad at me or does not want to "listen", she will turn her head away from me, sometimes she will close her eyes and then walk away. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Now I know how my parents felt when I did that! LOL

Ok, it's time for me to stop blabbing. I just thought this thread was interesting.

Hey... I have a deaf dalamation (sp?) and she is precious!! I got her about two years ago. The owner before me had to let her go because she was retiring and wanted to travel. She knew a little bit of sign so she did her best to teach the dog. I was nervous about having a deaf dog... but I did have another dog that was hearing, so I decided to try it. She is my best friend and I take her EVERYWHERE when I can. LOL Her name is Dottie Dot and she will respond when I sign her name and give her commands. The other dog is a Shar-Pei breed and she knows her sign name, as well as sign commands. I recently got another dog... a black lab and he is still learning his sign name. Everyone in my family knows sign and uses it with all 3 dogs... Even my parents. (I'm one of those lucky ones whose parents learned sign language) If you use ASL with your animals, what commands do they understand?? Just wondering...

It is funny because DD sleeps when we are not at home and she used to jump out of her skin when I woke her up to let her know I was home, so now, I just leave her alone, the other dogs usually wake her up on their own. LOL

She hates the dark and when it storms. We have had power outages a few times and she freaks out big time! She has to TOUCH me at all times and that is so hard to do when you are trying to walk... and you can't see anything! If I am not around, she will stick to my oldest daughter and it drives her batty. LOL Do your deaf animals freak out in the dark??

Another thing I think is so funny, when she is mad at me or does not want to "listen", she will turn her head away from me, sometimes she will close her eyes and then walk away. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Now I know how my parents felt when I did that! LOL

Ok, it's time for me to stop blabbing. I just thought this thread was interesting.

LOL Sound like your dog is smart...

No, I don't but I do have a deaf wife...that count? :giggle:

mm. I adopted a deaf puppy (Boxer) 2 months old, brilliant - knows few sign languages at some time he is very timid, other than that very hyperactive puppy.

Even though, i grew up with different breeds of dogs id' say.. over 14 different dogs. I admire deaf dog more than hearing dogs - They rely on visual communication not "hearing" communication.

im considering to adopt more large breed deaf puppies in the future.

My parents used to have a deaf dalmatian. My roommate has a deaf ferret. I also have a friend who used to have a deaf ferret and a blind ferret.

One of our 3 cats do have some hearing loss that I suspected it a year or 2 after we adopted her. We have been signing her, & she does like to watch us sign, watching tv (I know it isn't related, but she likes to use her eyes and be more alert), meowing whenever we sign "hungry?", and etc.

Soon we might be eligible to adopt a deaf dog, so Im looking forward to that. :)

Back