Do you guys embrace your hearing loss/deafness?!

:wave: Fuzzy

but did you see my "generic you" part?
however, I'm wondering why you specifically are responding to that IF you are not concerned about it....

I can't help you get it til your ego lets go of it

Why do you consider me generic, though? I am not, I just didn't had a chance to belong to the Deaf community.
That doesn't mean I never experienced some of the pain and hurt that goes along with being deaf/HoH
even if my parents and friends accepted me as I am.

And my ego has nothing to do with the matter, either.

To me it's a matter of bias and double standard that exist on AD when it comes to using certain words/expression by certain members.

But I am getting tired of this discussion, too.
WriteAlex:
Does this also affect your personal relationships outside of your family?

First of all, it does not really affect my relationship in my family, I was only joking -hence the chuckle smiley, and - no.

My friends knows me, as I know them, and so we can diplomatically bow out
if the situation becomes awkward due to my excessive droning on.
Also, since I know of my propensity to be excessive in arguments,
I've learned to read body language and I stop myself when I see people start to look being bored or agitated.

Now, discussion forum - hey, these are DISCUSSION forums! :lol:

To sum up this discussion.
Shel and Sunshine, you girls helped me realize why the term is so.. flammable. Especially you, Sunshine.

Please allow me to stick to my opinion, though, as I am still convinced it's not the word/term itself at fault.

I however do see where the dislike,
disdain even, for the expression comes from,

and also I do get why Deaf would feel they have the right to use such term but everybody else would not.
I DO see this point.

Fuzzy

^^^ FYI, when dogmom says "generic you" she means that the "you" in her paragraph is not referring to anyone in particularly. It's a way to set up an object/subject in her sentence without it referring to a specific person. Hence the term "generic." It has nothing to do with you, Fuzzy.

^^^ FYI, when dogmom says "generic you" she means that the "you" in her paragraph is not referring to anyone in particularly. It's a way to set up an object/subject in her sentence without it referring to a specific person. Hence the term "generic." It has nothing to do with you, Fuzzy.

Oh, I see, I misunderstood. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :ty:

Fuzzy

go to this;What communications do you use while socializing with a group of hearing people? look in post number 29

go to this;What communications do you use while socializing with a group of hearing people? look in post number 29

Why did you not quote post number 29. I, for one, have no idea which page that is on.

Last edited:
Normal is a setting on the dryer.

Curious- has anybody else done the Myers-Briggs personality tests? There's an unofficial version here:
Personality Test - Keirsey.com *** Keirsey Temperament Sorter II

I realize that there is a lot going on here that is outside my experience and I'm not telling anybody what they should think.

But I think it might at least be possible that at least part of the issue here is a personality type. I would love to know what AudioFuzzy's personality type in particular is.

I'll tell you mine, if you tell me yours.=)

Normal is a setting on the dryer.

Curious- has anybody else done the Myers-Briggs personality tests? There's an unofficial version here:
Personality Test - Keirsey.com *** Keirsey Temperament Sorter II

I realize that there is a lot going on here that is outside my experience and I'm not telling anybody what they should think.

But I think it might at least be possible that at least part of the issue here is a personality type. I would love to know what AudioFuzzy's personality type in particular is.

I'll tell you mine, if you tell me yours.=)

Actually, I think we discussed this test in another thread... I'm too lazy to search for it for you. But if I recall, several people posed their results. Don't remember if I did.

I definitely embrace my deafness. It is a part of me. It has been instrumental in shaping my life. I wouldn't change having been deaf for anything. It has given me a greater appreciation of life in so many ways.

On the other hand, I would rather not be deaf, and if technology ever allows me to use cochlear implants, or whatever succeeds that technology, successfully with my music, I will consider it. If someone could wave a wand and give me normal hearing, I would do it unreservedly.

Thank-you, Cheetah. I think I found it- http://www.alldeaf.com/general-chat/79517-interesting-online-test-one-kind.html
Another thread just discussed introvert/extrovert.
I want to be clear that I'm not poking my nose in at all about the proper or improper use of the term 'normal,' in fact, as the mom of a child who does have what anybody would consider disabilities, I am still leary of using that word. I refer to my other kids as 'so-called normal.'

I just notice something about the way audiofuzzy discusses things that reminds me of myself, actually, so I am curious. The personality type I am thinking of gets wrapped up in the ideas, is either precise or nitpicky about words (depending on where you stand), and can drive other people nuts seeming to worry away at something like a dog with a bone, when what they really want is mutual understanding, not agreement. They think through things by a process that looks to other people like arguing.
Again, I'm not butting in on the subject of this post, I am just curious about differences in methods of discussion, if that makes sense?
Maybe I just should have sent a private message to Fuzzy?

Still learning my way around, like an annoying puppy, but not that cute.

I just notice something about the way audiofuzzy discusses things that reminds me of myself, actually, so I am curious. The personality type I am thinking of gets wrapped up in the ideas, is either precise or nitpicky about words (depending on where you stand), and can drive other people nuts seeming to worry away at something like a dog with a bone, when what they really want is mutual understanding, not agreement. They think through things by a process that looks to other people like arguing.
Again, I'm not butting in on the subject of this post, I am just curious about differences in methods of discussion, if that makes sense?
Maybe I just should have sent a private message to Fuzzy?

Still learning my way around, like an annoying puppy, but not that cute.

Precise, of course :)

And you hit the nail on the head, Grayma.

Feel free to email me anytime, if you please.

Anyone who wishes to email or PM me is welcomed to.

But I am not taking this test, sorry... what I don't like about it is,
it requires my email and then it keep it - oh, no, I don't like that :shock:.

But I can tell you what my personality is - it's peachy ! :laugh2:

Fuzzy

I know ego fuzzy not not pleasureI am said no offense your i apologized I won't help! unfortunateled you are rude! you argued already immatures argued!

I definitely embrace my deafness. It is a part of me. It has been instrumental in shaping my life. I wouldn't change having been deaf for anything. It has given me a greater appreciation of life in so many ways.

On the other hand, I would rather not be deaf, and if technology ever allows me to use cochlear implants, or whatever succeeds that technology, successfully with my music, I will consider it. If someone could wave a wand and give me normal hearing, I would do it unreservedly.

Certainly, use whatever technology or biotechnology as the case may be in 10 to 20 years from now to help hear better, too. I don't embrace my deafness but I acknowledge and accept it, and it has made me for who I am today. That cannot be changed. Technology has given me so much in return and enjoyment, and even a realization, too. One good thing about it, there's an off switch when I go to bed. :lol:

Certainly, use whatever technology or biotechnology as the case may be in 10 to 20 years from now to help hear better, too. I don't embrace my deafness but I acknowledge and accept it, and it has made me for who I am today. That cannot be changed. Technology has given me so much in return and enjoyment, and even a realization, too. One good thing about it, there's an off switch when I go to bed. :lol:

Just curious, what is your prediction on the direction the hearing clinics are headed in within the next 20 years? Myself, I can see the clinics becoming a thing of the past due to the technology becoming more sophisticated all of the times. Maybe not in 20 years, but eventually.

I'm referring to the clinics where only hearing aids are sold, not cochlear implants.

Back