Do you guys embrace your hearing loss/deafness?!

The term, "normal" has caused a lot of heartache and problems for many people.

Oh no sweetie. no "just saying".

You have to explain to me why I have to be "prepared to be picked apart"
but for example, not Mz Bebonag, hmm, Missy Cheetah?

I have never ever seen you jumping on Bebonang for using
the term "normal hearing" but if I use it - you'd be on me like white on rice
and WHY ??????
because you don't like me but you like her, is that so?
have guts for once and tell the truth.

And just for argument sake , since you said so yourself -
The word "normal" is a word that is usually used to describe the majority. Most of us prefer not to use that word because it indicates that anyone that is not in the majority is "abnormal".

No, wrong -
- when one says "normal hearing" one does not describe the majority - one describe the HEARING the majority have.
Therefore, one can not indicate that anyone is "abnormal" - at best, their HEARING is abnormal - and yes, it's true for we can't hear!.

Fuzzy

I'm not sure why is is a big argument issue with you. The word has double meanings. You should be wise to it by now. If you are arguing a point then you are opening yourself to being corrected or criticized. It comes down to why you use the word and what your point is. You pick a side and attempt to argue your point of view all the time. That is why you get criticized often. I would think you would have a better understanding of the use of the word by now.

If you speak in general terms and use the word normal, it indicates an intention to use the word as being the majority of people.

But if you use the word in a specific sense then normal becomes a definition of capability and thus a definition of a lack of capabilities.

This is how people perceive the word. It's going to be really hard to change the thinking of the majority of people here.

I'm not sure why is is a big argument issue with you. The word has double meanings. You should be wise to it by now. If you are arguing a point then you are opening yourself to being corrected or criticized. It comes down to why you use the word and what your point is. You pick a side and attempt to argue your point of view all the time. That is why you get criticized often. I would think you would have a better understanding of the use of the word by now.

If you speak in general terms and use the word normal, it indicates an intention to use the word as being the majority of people.

But if you use the word in a specific sense then normal becomes a definition of capability and thus a definition of a lack of capabilities.

This is how people perceive the word. It's going to be really hard to change the thinking of the majority of people here.

Oh, please.
The word has ONE meaning.

Sorry, but it invariably comes down to WHO uses this word, period.
I started this because it irks me to see when a person considered "anti-audist" uses this word it is okay, but when someone branded "audist" -
justly or unjustly -it doesn't matter either- uses it, then OF COURSE that person is going to be corrected and criticized for using the very SAME WORD.

Like someone said it so plainly and clearly - double standard.

That's all I wanted to point out.

Fuzzy

Normal has a personal meaning for many people which is why much of the time it is never consistently defined, therefore the word is subjective based upon ones experiences, life, culture, and other contributing factor.

This is why in scientific communities, the word 'normal' is seldom used even. They use terms such as 'control' and 'baseline' instead as it accurately indicates a known pattern under a specific circumstance on a subject.

Hopefully, normal will never be fully defined. If normal were ever fully defined we will have then entered a world in which our every thought, emotion, word, and action is tightly controlled. Any deviance from this 'normality' would get one punished.

As for my hearing loss, I'm embracing it more now than I did before. Why? The more people that know about it, the more people will see to it that they are accommodating. Communication becomes easier rather than more difficult. This doesn't mean I go shoving it in people's faces that I am d/hh, it just means that I let them know in a simple yet straightforward way.

For example: I'm at Starbucks, the place is packed and I can't make heads or tails of what the barista is saying. I point at my ear, show him my iPhone and motion for him to write. The result? He gets a piece of paper and a pen and scribbles out what he wants to say and I type out what I want to say to complete the transaction. Soooo pain free for the both of us.

The term, "normal" has caused a lot of heartache and problems for many people.

I like your explanation Shel.

It is not exactly what I was referring to, but indeed from another pov
yes indeed it is a cause of pain to many,
and from this POV I can see how can it be a controversial subject.

Still I'd like it if people weren't randomly chosen for critique on using
the term "normal" based on what their personal opinions toward ASL, CI
and hearing are.

Fuzzy

Oh, please.
The word has ONE meaning.

Sorry, but it invariably comes down to WHO uses this word, period.
I started this because it irks me to see when a person considered "anti-audist" uses this word it is okay, but when someone branded "audist" -
justly or unjustly -it doesn't matter either- uses it, then OF COURSE that person is going to be corrected and criticized for using the very SAME WORD.

Like someone said it so plainly and clearly - double standard.

That's all I wanted to point out.

Fuzzy

Thanks for pointing that out. It may interest you that that you have shown in the past to not be able to see your own audist tendencies. I say this, not to create an bigger arguements with you, but to also point out that even I have audist tendencies that I struggle with. I was raised oral with little exposure to deaf culture or other deaf kids. I learned the behaviors of my parents and the people around us. It took me a while to see the audist in myself.

The word "normal" can be used in an audist way or not. Can you see the difference? Once you see the difference, you will better understand why one person can say "normal" and not be called an audist and another person can say "normal" and be called an audist.

Note, you are not the only one struggling with this concept.

Thanks for pointing that out. It may interest you that that you have shown in the past to not be able to see your own audist tendencies. I say this, not to create an bigger arguements with you, but to also point out that even I have audist tendencies that I struggle with. I was raised oral with little exposure to deaf culture or other deaf kids. I learned the behaviors of my parents and the people around us. It took me a while to see the audist in myself.

The word "normal" can be used in an audist way or not. Can you see the difference? Once you see the difference, you will better understand why one person can say "normal" and not be called an audist and another person can say "normal" and be called an audist.

It's all about context. How the word normal was used and framed. There's a difference between "normal hearing people" and "normal" people.

so, bebonang said ; "It just bug me that every normal hearing and able body person keep trying to fix me and every one of us to make us be like them. "

AudioFuzzy said: "I am not hearing, but I like my HAS even if they are not making me "back to normal again".

Big difference in context.

But Audiofuzzy - failing to see this, then goes on to say "One person says "normal hearing" and gets aggressively bashed in the head for it, another says the very same thing and nothing happens. Go figure."

bebonang was talking about normal hearing levels, you were talking about being "back to normal" as if being deaf makes you abnormal.

Audiofuzzy - your petulant posts about being ignored or made a victim of bashing is not winning anyone over.

No one is taking an offense to "normal hearing". They are however taking offense to "being back to normal".

And furthermore, anyone who's been around AD for a while, would know exactly what bebonang is talking about and in what context given their existing knowledge of her general stance.

The one issue that I take with all of this "normal" discussion, and others, in terms of Fuzzy's objections is that he/she constantly derails these threads with his/her so-called "scoldings" for who says what and how, and who gets banned and who doesn't, and so forth. This kind of stuff can GO TO PM !!!!!!!! Enough of this!

Early this morning I stumbled into the kitchen and fumbled with the coffee filters, spilling coffee grounds onto the floor. Not yet. I poured most of the water into the coffeemaker and reflected on my clumsiness. Not yet. I poured the black joe into a cup and drank it. Almost...almost. Boing! There, I was back to normal! :giggle:

Early this morning I stumbled into the kitchen and fumbled with the coffee filters, spilling coffee grounds onto the floor. Not yet. I poured most of the water into the coffeemaker and reflected on my clumsiness. Not yet. I poured the black joe into a cup and drank it. Almost...almost. Boing! There, I was back to normal! :giggle:

Wow! That is U N B E L I E V E A B L E!!!! :D

Last edited:

Hence, the double standard....plus a dose of hypocrisy. It's an attempt to draw a line in the sand of what's "allowed"based on a person's "status" or "standing" and assumes the worse. That line in the sand increasingly looks like this.....

20090308-IMG_7064-420x629.jpg

So, it becomes utter nonsense. We know what people are trying to say when they write "normal hearing", there's no need to do these intense navel gazing over that word or phrase and see who is saying it.

So, it becomes utter nonsense. We know what people are trying to say when they write "normal hearing", there's no need to do these intense navel gazing over that word or phrase and see who is saying it.

Then why are you doing it?

Back