Do you feel that hearing teachers restrict Deaf children in learning?

I don't understand, if a child can hear and overhear, how are they going to be left out? I understand that it is impossible to lipread more than one person, but I mean hearing.

Then you and society see CIs as a cure if they are "hearing" .

You cant keep saying that they are hearing like hearing children and claim that they are still deaf children. Which is it? are they like hearing children now or still deaf children?

If the family doesn't share a language, how do they communicate? How does the child learn anything before they start school? How do the parents teach rules and discipline? How do they help with homework in a language they don't know? How do they teach right from wrong or tell the child they love him without a shared language?

I never learned sign language and the only communicate we had was writing. My mom could not discipline me either because I couldn't understand her spoken language. I used to run off everywhere and there was nothing she could do because we weren't communicating. .... all because she wanted me be oral deaf. Therefore, I don't think it make a world a difference if the child is ASL or not. If the child is a CI, great, because it is easier on the family who don't want to learn ASL, but it is still their human rights to know ASL.

Last edited:
I don't understand, if a child can hear and overhear, how are they going to be left out? I understand that it is impossible to lipread more than one person, but I mean hearing.

With my hearing aids - I was able to hear all the jumbled conversations at family functions, but because I had the hearing aids I was a'deformed" child and therefore not worth the time to invite into a conversation. They felt that I would not be able to keep up. I even ran into that during my adult years when I had the hearing aids. Now that I don't have hearing aids and I am total deaf - I am still left out. I have a family reunion coming up for my hubby's family and I was already asked to stay at home and not come to it, since the family would not know how to interact with me. Hubby found out and has refused to allow anyone in our house to go beacause he feels it is not fair.

I know how you feel.

When it comes to education, deaf students should be treated like hearing students... unless otherwise proven to have mental disabilities.

I grew up mainstream. I did have a lot of deaf classmates who weren't as mainstreamed as I was. They were given a lot of flexibility with their classes and assignments. If they failed a class, they still got a passing grade. Because of this, a lot of them graduated with 3rd grade Reading/Writing and with 7th grade Math. This made it very difficult for them to get into college since they had to pass assessment tests provided by the colleges. In order to pass those, you would have to have a good high school education.

I was one of the lucky ones... along with a couple others who graduated with me.

If you were to look at all the deaf students who graduated from my high school (starting with the year before I graduated until 5 years after I graduated... at least 30 deaf students), you would see that 3 or 4 got at least one college degree.

I remember a time when I was actually degraded by the director of the deaf education department. Unfortunately, she died before I had a chance to shove my college diploma in her face. :deal:

When it comes to education, deaf students should be treated like hearing students... unless otherwise proven to have mental disabilities.

I agree with this statment and ASL should be in the classrooms. I often wonder if my classmates who weren't that bright would be better if their parents are involved with ASL and education.

I know how you feel.

I grew up mainstream. I did have a lot of deaf classmates who weren't as mainstreamed as I was. They were given a lot of flexibility with their classes and assignments. If they failed a class, they still got a passing grade. Because of this, a lot of them graduated with 3rd grade Reading/Writing and with 7th grade Math. This made it very difficult for them to get into college since they had to pass assessment tests provided by the colleges. In order to pass those, you would have to have a good high school education.

I was one of the lucky ones... along with a couple others who graduated with me.

If you were to look at all the deaf students who graduated from my high school (starting with the year before I graduated until 5 years after I graduated... at least 30 deaf students), you would see that 3 or 4 got at least one college degree.

I remember a time when I was actually degraded by the director of the deaf education department. Unfortunately, she died before I had a chance to shove my college diploma in her face. :deal:

3 of 4 out of 30 is kinda low. But you have to remember even mainstream will give kid a passing grade no matter what. Teachers do lower their standard for deaf kids in mainstreamed classes (if you have bad writing, they don't bother)

edited: btw, there are kids who can't pass the accessment tests. This is the reason why many start out in community college because they have a class for kids who can't pass the accessment tests. I was one of them who couldn't pass. So I had to take these classes.

Last edited:
With my hearing aids - I was able to hear all the jumbled conversations at family functions, but because I had the hearing aids I was a'deformed" child and therefore not worth the time to invite into a conversation. They felt that I would not be able to keep up. I even ran into that during my adult years when I had the hearing aids. Now that I don't have hearing aids and I am total deaf - I am still left out. I have a family reunion coming up for my hubby's family and I was already asked to stay at home and not come to it, since the family would not know how to interact with me. Hubby found out and has refused to allow anyone in our house to go beacause he feels it is not fair.

That's weird. Most family prefer if you show up, because they just like you being there. But as far as interacting with you is a different story. They sure do love it when you are very useful for them like watching babies while they enjoy themselves in a nice flow of conversation... or washing dishes, and stuffs. I just act like, "Here, you take him, I need go to the car... (they usually assume I'm getting something)" because I do not want to be a babysitter for anyone because I can't interact with them. Never heard of a family not inviting you unless they don't mean any harm and know you would get bored so they don't want you to feel obigated to go.

Now I did have family who left out details of events and gatherings from me.

I agree with this statment and ASL should be in the classrooms. I often wonder if my classmates who weren't that bright would be better if their parents are involved with ASL and education.
ASL?

Well, in the American education system... the primary language is English. So, if deaf students are to excel in school... they need to learn and use English.

It's like Spanish-speaking students. Speaking Spanish may be their primary language, but they learn and use English in school.

With deaf students, ASL may be their primary language... but they should use English in school.

English is a spoken language. If you are going to learn English language and write in English, you will need to know how to speak it. You will need to know how to HEAR the language.

Other than that ASL for everything else.

English is a spoken language. If you are going to learn English language and write in English, you will need to know how to speak it. You will need to know how to HEAR the language.

Other than that ASL for everything else.

Need to learn how to speak it and hear it? I cant hear English but I am fluent in it. I know many deaf people who cant hear nor speak it but yet have good English skills.

I disagree with you on that one based on the many highly educated deaf people I have met who cant hear nor speak it.

Wirelessly posted (MOT-A-A4/00.01 UP.Browser/7.0.2.2.c.1.120 (GUI) MMP/2.0 UP.Link/5.1.2.17)

shel90 said:

Then you and society see CIs as a cure if they are "hearing" .

You cant keep saying that they are hearing like hearing children and claim that they are still deaf children. Which is it? are they like hearing children now or still deaf children?

I'm not saying they hear perfectly. for example, the ci only highlights the speech frequencies, not all sounds. also, the processing stratgies degrade quickly in loud background noise. it is not the same as a hearing person. BUT, my child, and many others with ci's, can hear and understand speech at a whisper. at her last audi appointment miss kat could discriminate words, with no visual, at 20 db.

that is hearing and understand very quiet speech. she is able to watch a cartoon and learn the names of the charatures from listening only. she is deaf and she can hear.

Then why do many hearing people roll their eyes at us when we ask them to repeat themselves, or tell us that they will tell us later or give us the "never minds"?
I can't speak for everyone and would only suggest they may be frustrated due to the inability to communicate. Just as a deaf person may become frustrated with a hearing person that fingerspells everything.

Ok, tell me why they aren't willing to spend $$ on something that can help deaf children's education such as getting better projector screen, better visusal aids, paper works, handbooks, and more instead of spending on something else that are useful to the school administration itself. It's been years like that.
I don't know the answers to that. I also don't believe that is the case everywhere. I don't doubt your personal experiences I just don't know that I would agree that everyone will have the same experiences. There are many variables to consider.

I can't remember what is the name of that movie. The latino school teacher who worked hard to make his students to study hard and passed by writing and reading level that become higher percents than before. That latino school teacher did have passions for kids' successes that I didn't have my old teachers passions like him. Most of my old teachers were doing like " good girl and you may go outside on your recess". that kind of attitude makes me feel like they treat me like i am incapable of doing anything. Yea One teacher told me that i am not capable of doing the mock trial and going to college. :roll:
I remember the movie but don't recall the title either. It's a good example of a good teacher.

No communication mode is the reason why they don't want to deal with us. It is too much trouble for them to talk "slower" , "clearer" and face us and such. And they never invite you to places and you are the very last person they will call or don't call... you know how people LOVE their phone these days.. if you can't hear the phone, then you are out.

Then you become one of the "forgotten" one.
There is no question that the inability to communicate can cause problems. That is a two way street. How accepted would a hearing person be in deaf culture if they didn't learn how to communicate?

I can only speak to what is happening in my area, but here it is:

Once a child is discovered to have a hearing loss a PIP (parent infant program) advisor is sent to their home. The PIP advisor is a teacher of the deaf with a master's degree in deaf ed. and a special birth to 3 credential. The PIP advisor educates the parents on hearing loss, literacy, and early language development. The parents then make a choice to use an Auditory-Oral or ASL-English approach. Both approaches take commitment and hard work from the parents. They are set up bi-weekly meetings with the appropriate teachers of the deaf and other professionals. Language goals are written every 6 months as are parental education goals.

The parents are making informed choices and doing their best.
That sounds like a good program. Where do you live?

It never will be because there is no definative studies or proof that a child who uses ASL ends up with a better education than one who is successfully oral. Until there is actual proof, it won't happen.

There are many positives to ASL and there are positives to being able to hear and fluently use the language and mode of the majority.
Good point.

what about kids who hear well (perhaps a mild loss or doing well with a ci) and are blind or have a physical impairment that makes asl difficult or impossible?

What about a family who will not learn or use asl? The child will have no language or communication. How is that better than a family who embraces oral language?

There is no "one size fits all" solution.
bingo!

There is no question that the inability to communicate can cause problems. That is a two way street. How accepted would a hearing person be in deaf culture if they didn't learn how to communicate?

Simple, We don't have to worry about those hearing people. They are more likely the people who don't really want to take their time to communicate with you Verbally if you are a oral deaf anyway. Pen and paper always seem to be the answer to people like them anyway.

Back