Do you feel sorry for any hearing loss

Never. I tell hearies to knock it off by saying "I'm sorry" when they approach me.

Never. I tell hearies to knock it off by saying "I'm sorry" when they approach me.

I say - "sorry for what?" or "oh no no. I feel very sorry for you. I can't imagine living in this noisy world. no wonder everybody's grumpy and impatient."

For unemployed deafies need to get an agent from VR counselor will help u to get a goal or job. So, that way u will not take too long on the benefits b4 too late.

No, some VR does not help deafies to find employment. Been there and done that myself.

I say - "sorry for what?" or "oh no no. I feel very sorry for you. I can't imagine living in this noisy world. no wonder everybody's grumpy and impatient."

Perfect example of that is when I went out dancing for my future sister-in-law's bachorlette party last Sat. It was about 10 of us women and I was the only deaf one there. 5 of them were fluent in ASL and the rest didn't know any ASL. While in the club, the 5 hearing used ASL to communicate with each other because it was so loud. The ones who didn't know ASL had a hard time communicating with everyone so they stopped chatting and just danced or drank.

That's what hearing people need to see....ASL is a benefit for hearing people in so many situations !

Perfect example of that is when I went out dancing for my future sister-in-law's bachorlette party last Sat. It was about 10 of us women and I was the only deaf one there. 5 of them were fluent in ASL and the rest didn't know any ASL. While in the club, the 5 hearing used ASL to communicate with each other because it was so loud. The ones who didn't know ASL had a hard time communicating with everyone so they stopped chatting and just danced or drank.

That's what hearing people need to see....ASL is a benefit for hearing people in so many situations !

Yet a lot of people don't see that way, unfortunately.

If it was that loud, it sounds like the rest of them will be joining you later (loss from the db of the room noise).

Feel sorry? no. A little awkward sometimes - fitting in neither world today, sure. I used to wish I could hear the same as hearing people but don't anymore (bc I can't). Now, I work hard to be a good user of ASL and to fit respectfully into the only world I can hope to fit into. I always say that you can learn ASL (although I will maybe always have an english accent!) but you can't learn to hear. I am happy how I am and would not change it. Took some time but here I am :)

If it was that loud, it sounds like the rest of them will be joining you later (loss from the db of the room noise).

My ears were ringing the next day and I have a DB level of 110!!!! Holy cow!!!!

My ears were ringing the next day and I have a DB level of 110!!!! Holy cow!!!!

Ha Ha Ha yeah sometimes i do get ringing in my ears the next day. Mines over 100 db i guess 110. i dont pay attention to my DB as i know i am Deaf.

Ha Ha Ha yeah sometimes i do get ringing in my ears the next day. Mines over 100 db i guess 110. i dont pay attention to my DB as i know i am Deaf.

tumblr_moua6wUkjX1rw1wnno1_500.gif

So long ago I was a dreadful, sad, late deaf person. I was grieving over a loss.

Now I wonder what the fuss was about. Many deaf persons here helped me, educated me, and befriended me. When I saw how much warmer, more caring and tender the deaf community is I never looked back.

Now I have virtual, online and "real life" friends in the deaf community. So, no, I don't regret any "loss" but celebrate the gain.

For Any hearing loss (Deaf, sometimes HOH or deaf) who dont speak and is ASL user???

Are you?

:wiggle:

I have some hearing loss. But, I'm not sorry for it. I don't want to be. I can get by with what hearing I have left. I am an ASL user.
icon7.gif

I have ringing in my ears as well. It used to be frequent, but not as much anymore. My ears hurt when it happens. Does that happen to you?
icon7.gif

lost mine suddenly, have come to terms with it i rarely put hearing aids in i find sound frustrating

Botti, great post!!!!! I sure needed to hear this right about now. As soon as I speak almost everyone forgets that I am deaf.

Same. Except for every 3rd sentence is "sorry? Again?" Haha
I think we have our own different set of frustrations. No better and no worse. When someone zeros in on the topic of speech it makes me wonder if they're listening to what I'm trying to communicate to them or analyzing what they hear. Then again, as long as I am clear enough to understand I'm also grateful for being about to get my point across. I've had a few conversations with one of my best friends about how easily she understands a few of my other deaf friends. Both her and my boyfriend have told me that if I was not verbal they didn't think they'd be my best friend / boyfriend because they wouldn't get to know me easily. I'm grateful to have one foot in both worlds... And im grateful these two people were patient enough with me to become friends with many of my nonverbal friends...'But I'd never pity anyone who couldn't talk verbally. I'd pity the hearing people who didn't have the patience to get to know them.

I also think that pity and being grateful for something are different. Pity is too judgmental. I can't pretend to understand what it's like for someone who's not comfortable or not able to speak.

Last edited:
I felt sorry for a kid I was friends with who went from a moderate loss to profound deafness over night. More for her parents behaviour than her deafness though - she stopped speaking, they refused to sign so they just didn't communicate for the year and a half it took to get her a CI. :(

And I guess sometimes those who are plunged from a hearing world into deafness before they've got used to it as it must be a shock.

I find being hoh to be a pain in the butt. I hate having to have my daughter made phones calls for me because I can't hear or understand someone. She just had to do this for me. Marty's vet had new phones out in their office and I am having a hard time hearing the person now. I was told the new phones are suppose to be better. More business are getting these new phones and they're horrible. I don't feel sorry , I just do not like it.

I have ringing in my ears as well. It used to be frequent, but not as much anymore. My ears hurt when it happens. Does that happen to you?
icon7.gif

hurt? no the ringing causes my mind like im around. Not hurt, just dizzy. It wasn't long enough though.

icon7.gif

Probably a huge number of us have tinnitus to some degree, but I'm fairly convinced that sometimes what I hear isn't really tinnitus. Every once in while it won't just ring, but be more like a really high pitched squeal, and yes accompanied by a sharp stabbing like pain. Doesn't happen often, but every time it does I wonder, okay how many decibels did I just lose in what frequency, because that just wasn't right. :eek3:

Back