Do you believe in going cold turkey in process of ending addiction?

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
I'm sure most of you know what cold turkey means. DO you think that is a healthy way to quit your addiction or obsession?

I don't know if it is healthy or not. You see, a person can go from smoking 10 cigarettes per day to 8 the next day, then maybe 7 and down to 6. A person would easily go down from 10 to 4 and then go up to 12. In that regard, I can see where being cold turkey is positive. In other, being cold turkey may not be positive.

What do you think?

I think having cigs but trying to cut down and wens yourself off is too hard. Having cigarettes on hand is too much of a temptation. Sone people can go cold turkey, but not me. I used other tools, Nicolette lozenges and an e cig.

Cold turkey worked for me. I needed to hate the addiction. No sense having a "long goodbye" with it. It also helped me to tell everyone I knew that I was going through it, so I had peer pressure to avoid failure. Worked for the last 12 years.

I think having cigs but trying to cut down and wens yourself off is too hard. Having cigarettes on hand is too much of a temptation. Sone people can go cold turkey, but not me. I used other tools, Nicolette lozenges and an e cig.
You quit? Well done. I mean that. I know it ain't easy.

As far as cigarettes are concerned, think "cold turkey" is the best bet...altho' I've known people to break out in hives...get physically violent and combative...But for alcohol. A different story, same as for an addicted heroin user.

And have known a mother that was addicted to pills (Loratabs)...was pregnant at the time. She had to continue using/taking the pills because of the possible withdrawal of the baby in the womb...and when it was born, it was jaudinced (yellow)...

Nothing is more heart-breaking than seeing a crack-addicted "newborn" in ICU...

I'm sure most of you know what cold turkey means. DO you think that is a healthy way to quit your addiction or obsession?

I don't know if it is healthy or not. You see, a person can go from smoking 10 cigarettes per day to 8 the next day, then maybe 7 and down to 6. A person would easily go down from 10 to 4 and then go up to 12. In that regard, I can see where being cold turkey is positive. In other, being cold turkey may not be positive.

What do you think?

I quit cold turkey. It wasn't easy and took a few tries but my last smoke was at age 25 and I've never had one since....it works and it's effective.

Laura

Depends on the substance. I've read that going cold turkey from benzo can cause seizures.

yes it all depends, AND it doesn't end addiction, it just end the 'daily cycle'..the temptation can still lurk,you still have to be villi gent against relapse for quite long time, sometimes forever...
i quit cannabis , ciggies, hash and LSD all cold turkey.....all at once, then it was hell for the next 3 years....all a haze I had flashbacks, hazy memories, almost zombie-like sensation lasted for 3 years.....or so it seems.....not fun. then i developed panic attacks, depression, you name it...and even tinnitus came back in a big way after the 1 year under the severe tinnitus in 1995...yeah....cold turkey isn't for everyone, takes guts and facing rawness isn't fun either, oh in the process of giving up ciggies, i made a vow never to have a smoke with coffee - that worked!...
i moved on and right now ive cut down a lot on alcohol...i still drink just i don't drunk these day, no need...took a bit of will power to remain 'mature' and i guess maturity did helped too

yes it all depends, AND it doesn't end addiction, it just end the 'daily cycle'..the temptation can still lurk,you still have to be villi gent against relapse for quite long time, sometimes forever...
i quit cannabis , ciggies, hash and LSD all cold turkey.....all at once, then it was hell for the next 3 years....all a haze I had flashbacks, hazy memories, almost zombie-like sensation lasted for 3 years.....or so it seems.....not fun. then i developed panic attacks, depression, you name it...and even tinnitus came back in a big way after the 1 year under the severe tinnitus in 1995...yeah....cold turkey isn't for everyone, takes guts and facing rawness isn't fun either, oh in the process of giving up ciggies, i made a vow never to have a smoke with coffee - that worked!...
i moved on and right now ive cut down a lot on alcohol...i still drink just i don't drunk these day, no need...took a bit of will power to remain 'mature' and i guess maturity did helped too
You go, Grummer!...

You quit? Well done. I mean that. I know it ain't easy.

Yes, thank you :) took a couple different tries last year, but I've been a lot less stressed out the last few months. Quit, again, right after I moved to Texas in November, so like two months and half or so anyway.....staying that way :)

I had a client on my table that reeked of cigs today. That helps, reminders of how smelly it is, and that it isn't tempting is a good sign :D

Going cold turkey is not that easy. If you have the guts to quit smoking or drinking cold turkey, but still there is temptation of wanting to go back again. I wanted to quit when my son was a very young child because he does not like me smoking around him. I don't blamed him. So I decided to gradually cut down on my smoking until I felt I don't need to smoke anymore. My son was happy that I don't smoke around him. Now my son is a man at 37 years old. I have never smoke or drink except to drink sparkling wine for New Year's Eve or some celebration. I love it when I am clean. :thumb: :D

Yes, thank you :) took a couple different tries last year, but I've been a lot less stressed out the last few months. Quit, again, right after I moved to Texas in November, so like two months and half or so anyway.....staying that way :)

I had a client on my table that reeked of cigs today. That helps, reminders of how smelly it is, and that it isn't tempting is a good sign :D
Funny how people think smoking relieves stress, but the reality is the opposite. Nothing is quite as stressful as those first 2 weeks of going cold turkey, you know? After that, the stress levels diminish.

I believe it's a very individual matter. It depends on the substance involved, the health and nature of the person, motivation, and what resources are available. It's not a one-size-fits-all situation; there are too many variables.

Both my stepmom and Dad smoke, and they're not even making any attempts to quit sadly. I have a bad feeling that they won't be able to quit in time. My Dad is approaching 52, and my stepmom is approaching 51. When my Grandpa was alive, he successfully quit smoking, only to die a few years later. Now, I wish there was a way I could convince them to quit, but there's not any I can think of. :(

For awhile there I didn't want to, quit that is. My grandmother, the one who passed in November had Alzheimer's. She had 10 brothers and sisters and they ALL got it. I'm very afraid Ill win the genetic lottery again get it. Then eventually I'll forget I lost my hearing and won't understand why I can't hear. I can just see me screaming to try to hear myself "WHO ARE YOU? WHY WONT ANYONE TALK TO ME?!"

:shock:

Kinda hoping I'm dead before that sets in :/

Funny how people think smoking relieves stress, but the reality is the opposite. Nothing is quite as stressful as those first 2 weeks of going cold turkey, you know? After that, the stress levels diminish.

The nicotine fits are awful. I was never a heavy smoker, but if I'd been fighting with the ex or really worried about something I tended to smoke more. Nicotine did soothe me.

As a former smoker , going cold turkey never worked for me.

To quit , I had a combination of nicotine inhalers and anti anxiety medication, and it worked well.

I have been smoke free for the past 12 years.

It is one of those widely variable things. Me? If it is an addiction then I have to go cold turkey. I liked expression SayWhatKid mentioned there, "the long goodbye".

I was successful with cold turkey but there was a very long goodbye before that.
When I look through my hindsight glass I see that as the way I do it.

My usual way approach to changes is what I call achieving escape velocity. With addictions it just doesn't happen.
Breaking an addiction for good is a long drawn out campaign with battles won and battles lost. Self retribution, drama, pain, failure, lessons learned, philosophical understanding, prayer to a God I don't understand, a roller coaster ride of highs and lows, that goes on way way past what it should. Until it is what I call died and gone to dullsville, thoroughly flogged to death. Then with a final burst the worn out drama king actually achieves the unachievable. Cold turkey.

After all that it is not so tough to remember why I do not want to go through all that again.

Thanks Bott: for me 12 years tobacco free. 30 years alcohol free. 14 years Laurel free.

The nicotine fits are awful. I was never a heavy smoker, but if I'd been fighting with the ex or really worried about something I tended to smoke more. Nicotine did soothe me.
Have you weaned yourself off of all the nicotine delivery systems? I quit smoking twice before, but the last time (third) I used the gum. After about 4 months, I stopped the gum without too much issue.

Why did I ever start again? And again??? I fell in love with smokers twice. Got tired of the battles. Joined the butthead parade. Finally cut bait with each of them, followed by another bout of cold turkey. Each time, quit for years. Then repeat, like shampoo instructions. This time, 12+ years and counting. No buttheads in this household. :wave:

Yes the lozenges I've cut down from 1 every 1-2 hours to one every 3ish. Mostly I use the lozenges, but I use an ecig when I have coffee, can't get my morning caffeine and nicotine at the same time with the lozenges.....and driving. I don't know what it is with driving and smoking. The ecigs come in different nicotine nicotine levels too, even 0. Hell I may hang onto it and get the 0s just in case I ever go out for some drinks, even well after I've kicked it.

I tried the patches years ago. They worked pretty well but I think I'm allergic to the adhesive. They were soooooooo itchy and I'd have a big square give where it was. There are so many things to trip you up quitting, not just the addiction to the nicotine, but the habits of when and I why you smoked when you did, having something in your hand. I've tried many many times, with different levels of failure, it all pretty much comes down to where your head is at, and your reasons for quitting. Motivation is huge factor.

I have a friend that quit 6 years ago with hypnosis. That sooo wouldn't work for me. I wish it did!

Back