Do we need more Deaf Psychologists? Why or why not?

I disagree. Newly deaf people need docs to help them adjust to being deaf.

They need Deafies, not just some guy wnd scripts...alright.they need other Deaf, not people who view them as suffering from a curse wnd affliction...

I disagree. Newly deaf people need docs to help them adjust to being deaf.

I disagree with you, Joker. New deaf people need psychologists who need help coping with themselves like depression, and to cope with getting along with family members and friends. It is good to get emotional feelings out in the open to the Psychologist. Well, some want to talk about their hearing losses but more they want to talk about themselves as a individuals coping with outside of themselves with family members and friends, even want to talk about their workplace. Usually it is not about their being deaf. It is in their individual self that need to cope with society. They may have problems but not the hearing loss. Not so much, no. I don't want the psychologist telling them to "grieve" over hearing losses. That is not good. d/Deaf people have to learn to accept and try to move on as there is no cure, not with hearing devices. Mild hearing losses can make adjustment with hearing aid(s) if they can pick the sounds up. Go for it.

Why not both... other Deaf people and psychologist?

Bebonag makes excellent points in her post (#22) and I agree with her there.

Why not both... other Deaf people and psychologist?

Bebonag makes excellent points in her post (#22) and I agree with her there.

It just depends what your made of, i guess..the plm is if your going to see a medical professional regardng becomming deaf then obviousky you will be treated within the medical paradigm that views it as a loss and affliction. in need of a cure, or of treament....
If thats what people want..cool.but it doesnt do much in regards to coping, in my eyes, or anytying really..
To each their own,
If one wishes to view them sef as lacking something, to hokd themselves as suffering an affliction, they will..the more positive apporach is seek out other Deaf,and go from there..

It just depends what your made of, i guess..the plm is if your going to see a medical professional regardng becomming deaf then obviousky you will be treated within the medical paradigm that views it as a loss and affliction. in need of a cure, or of treament....
If thats what people want..cool.but it doesnt do much in regards to coping, in my eyes, or anytying really..
To each their own,
If one wishes to view them sef as lacking something, to hokd themselves as suffering an affliction, they will..the more positive apporach is seek out other Deaf,and go from there..
You have a point but if a person losing their hearing or sudden deaf goes to a psychologist or counselor who themselves is d/Deaf then there's a better likelihood of helping the person learn about Deaf Culture and accepting their deafness as part of their life rather than trying to fix it. Nudging the person to determine what is the best path for them (be it ASL, CI, Hearing Aid, straight oral). I doubt a psychologist who is deaf would not see it as an affliction or in need of a cure- but that also depends on how the psychologist to be (or current) sees themselves too.

Two sides... neither is right or wrong, interesting to read your view though :)

Yes. I think there is a shortage of deaf psychologist . We need more to help deaf with a variety of struggles like drugs& alcohol , personality disorders anger just to name a few. Big need in this area.

I am a hearie, and it has occured to me recently that the first language is not words but of feelings, non-verbal, interior whatever... Someone only versed and versatile with words may make a good ... conversationalist in helping another word-based person make analytical sense.

Yes, my hand is up (affirmative) to more deaf psychologists.

A - leaving this board but I'm reachable via the internet or alanwkelly
at
gmail.com

Back