Do I need an upgrade?

Jordan-2011

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here! :)

I am a Lip-reader. I know a bit of sign language (SSL) but talk orally. I have more hearing friends than deaf, but have very close relationships with both.

Well lets start off with a bit of history of my hearing loss. I was born with a hearing loss of Moderate to severe. I've always considered myself part of the hearing community, I was able to hear without hearing aids, despite request for me to wear them. My speech is also very good and people usually have no problem understanding me. During recent years I was diagnosed with Wide Vestibular Aqueduct Syndrome. This has made my hearing drop rapidly to Severe to Profound. Nowadays I usually have to ask people to repeat themselves and in busy conversations I struggle immensely.

About a year ago I was given 'Phonak Nathos UP W' hearing aids by my audiologist,which are supposed to be the 'most high tech' hearing aids for my hearing lost. But personally these are the worse hearing aids I have had. They are very distorted one minute and fine another. They ring at every head movement. They honestly drive me mad, but I have learnt to manage.

This week I have been increasingly asking for sign language from my support teachers and I have even had to ask my parents to repeat themselves lately, this is not normal for me as I usually can hear what they are saying in my upstairs bedroom, while they are calling from the bottom of the stairs. Also I have to rely on lip-reading more than what I did last week. This is my first week back at college.

I have an hospital appointment tomorrow. What I would like to know, Is there any other hearing aids you could suggest?

Oh and please note, I am not comfortable having a Cochlea Implant. I just think people won't treat me the same as they do when I have hearing aids. Job-wise and just social.

Wow I have wrote lots! Is there anyone that can help me out?

Many Thanks! :)

yeah and I think you should try another brand but don't 4get to ask for a trial!
for me, I own an Oticon hearing aid and they have neat stuff!

Jordan, are you in high school college or university college? Maybe if you're in high school, you could transfer to Mary Hare or another Deaf School so you can learn BSL and be in an enviroment where it's more Deaf friendly.

yeah and I think you should try another brand but don't 4get to ask for a trial!
for me, I own an Oticon hearing aid and they have neat stuff!

It's not that easy in the UK to just request a trial or to switch aids since their govt pays for them

Hello!! I'm from the UK and I know there is many hearing aids out there and realistically the best are never the best. I have the Spirit C Zest Superpower, which seems to work out for me(I have profound hearing loss), I would go back to your hearing centre and tell them all this, and they might change you to a different one.

Hey guys, I had the hearing test and it turns out that the reason I couldn't hear last week was because I had hard wax in my ears, too much moisture in my hearing aids and I need new moulds. Happy it was good news! :) Thanks for the help!

Back