Do I Have To Be Officially Registered as "Disabled" to Get Interpreter?

BoricuaChevere

Reaction score
I wanna get an interpreter at school, but I don't know if I have to officially be "disabled" (blah, I hate that word) to get one. Although I'm MOTO profoundly deaf, I have so much trouble in class.

As a public school teacher, here is the process as I have seen it, at least here in WI.

You, your parent, or a teacher would need to contact the special education department and request an evaluation. At that meeting, which may include hearing tests, or at least bring in an audiology report. They should have the local/area D/HH teacher there. They will determine if you indeed have a disability that would entitle you to services.

That should be a pretty short meeting, more of a formality. Then if they determine you are in need of services, there'd be another meeting (or continue the same one) where the services and accommodations you need get defined. Interpreter, note taker, captioned videos, access to scripts or notes from the teacher, or other things. This becomes what we call an IEP. This alerts all your teachers as to what to expect you to need from them that may be out of their typical pattern.

It really is not typically a horrible process, and doesn't mean that you will really notice the special ed status, but it is the legal hoops you need to go through, so the district can get federal money to help pay for the fact that you are becoming more expensive to them.

As a public school teacher, here is the process as I have seen it, at least here in WI.

You, your parent, or a teacher would need to contact the special education department and request an evaluation. At that meeting, which may include hearing tests, or at least bring in an audiology report. They should have the local/area D/HH teacher there. They will determine if you indeed have a disability that would entitle you to services.

That should be a pretty short meeting, more of a formality. Then if they determine you are in need of services, there'd be another meeting (or continue the same one) where the services and accommodations you need get defined. Interpreter, note taker, captioned videos, access to scripts or notes from the teacher, or other things. This becomes what we call an IEP. This alerts all your teachers as to what to expect you to need from them that may be out of their typical pattern.

It really is not typically a horrible process, and doesn't mean that you will really notice the special ed status, but it is the legal hoops you need to go through, so the district can get federal money to help pay for the fact that you are becoming more expensive to them.

I'm surprised you don't already have one. Your school district failed you in a big way.

Meaning I have to have official documentation of being deaf. I'm notvsure exactly where and with whom. And MOTO?

I wanna get an interpreter at school, but I don't know if I have to officially be "disabled" (blah, I hate that word) to get one. Although I'm MOTO profoundly deaf, I have so much trouble in class.

Meaning I have to have official documentation of being deaf. I'm notvsure exactly where and with whom. And MOTO?

Look what you said in bold in your first post. What did you mean by MOTO?

Oops sorry hehe. I meant to say "not profoundly deaf". Sorry, autocorrect on smart phones

Oh lol well you do not have to be profoundly Deaf. Hard of hearing people get interpreters too. You might get more help in the Education part of this forum.

It's ridiculous.

Back