Do I have the right to refuse to use spoken english?

. . . What I do want is CLEAR COMMUNICATION.

That's precisely what I want. My girlfriend writes to me as if she's signing and I have rejected her notes due to I have better things to do than have a headache trying to read what she's saying. To compromise, I asked her to get a free subscription online to her hometown's newspaper so she can see and read how she should be writing.

However, back to the point at hand: If a person wants an interpreter because he or she is going "voice off" that day just for the matter of principle, he or she should start looking for a job and get off disability because they are doing this just to catch the court system of "violating" his rights to an interpreter.

Hi Pete

"If a person wants an interpreter because he or she is going "voice off" that day just for the matter of principle, he or she should start looking for a job and get off disability because they are doing this just to catch the court system of "violating" his rights to an interpreter". Ouch!

As well as being deaf, I am also a w/chair user.

An elderly gentleman approached me some years back, he said "People like you play on their disability" whilst I was trying to get out of my car. My reply was " Yes some people do, I am not like you who has parked in a Disabled Parking Bay, abusing the system, not having a Blue Badge (Disabled Parking Pass) who has no mobility problems.

He got found out, and find £60.00, I never saw him again after that....

Had lots of people approach me and say your not deaf why are you signing, so I take my hearing aids off and hand them to them, then they appologise...
If I feel I need to use an Interpreter anytime such as for meetings/training courses then I do so.

Very Confusing

What gets me is that some places will get an interpreter for me, and then they will do it one time, but not the next. It creates a lot of anxiety for me, wondering if I will have "clear communication" with doctors, etc. Sometimes I can call and make my own appointments and ask for an interpreter. Other times, i it seems like I have to use a relay or an "advocate," because people don't listen to a word I say when I try to do it myself. It's like they don't get it or something.

I tried to get treated at a local "urgent care" recently and I was having a lot of trouble with my asthma, and I was "freaking out," (felt like I couldn't breathe), and this doctor refused to let me communicate with written English. He basically INSISTED that I speak, and I do NOT think that someone should be forced to communicate that way, especially when that person is having trouble breathing/is in pain, etc. I ended up just walking out.

Also, I have tried to communicate with some doctors, etc via spoken English and THEY DON'T SLOW DOWN. I wish people would FACE me, speak slowly and clearly, etc. Seems to me this sort of thing wld be COMMON SENSE.

Sometimes I don't talk, not as a matter of principle, but because most people can't register that I am both blind and hard of hearing when I talk. At first when I would explain verbally that I was deafblind and therefore needed to have them use the Braille card to communicate with me, they would just keep trying to talk to me. Now most of the time I just point to my ear and shake my head and then I show them my Braille card which has a short explanation of how to use it written directly on it.

Yeah, that's why we all referred him to legal means to remedy the situation. He made a couple of other threads that went into detail about the situation.

And I agree completely. If one chooses not to defend their rights, they give implicit permission for the violations to continue.

I think he is pretty desperate as he is always looking for solution to his communication problems ... I feel for him because I've been in his shoes. Especially the isolation part.

What is "DSC?" I'm don't understand the situation here. In what context are you refusing to speak? Work, court of law, etc.

What gets me is that some places will get an interpreter for me, and then they will do it one time, but not the next. It creates a lot of anxiety for me, wondering if I will have "clear communication" with doctors, etc. Sometimes I can call and make my own appointments and ask for an interpreter. Other times, i it seems like I have to use a relay or an "advocate," because people don't listen to a word I say when I try to do it myself. It's like they don't get it or something.

I tried to get treated at a local "urgent care" recently and I was having a lot of trouble with my asthma, and I was "freaking out," (felt like I couldn't breathe), and this doctor refused to let me communicate with written English. He basically INSISTED that I speak, and I do NOT think that someone should be forced to communicate that way, especially when that person is having trouble breathing/is in pain, etc. I ended up just walking out.

Also, I have tried to communicate with some doctors, etc via spoken English and THEY DON'T SLOW DOWN. I wish people would FACE me, speak slowly and clearly, etc. Seems to me this sort of thing wld be COMMON SENSE.

not trying to argue either way here, but fyi, doctors like you to speak while having an asthma attack because it forces you to control your breathing. may not have been an anti-writing thing, may have been a 'if you want this to stop you need to speak' thing.
Just fyi
*EQL*

not trying to argue either way here, but fyi, doctors like you to speak while having an asthma attack because it forces you to control your breathing. may not have been an anti-writing thing, may have been a 'if you want this to stop you need to speak' thing.
Just fyi
*EQL*

It does not work that way with asthma. Asthma can not be under control just from speaking. Panick attack, maybe, but not asthma. Asthma need treatments like inhaler.
I have asthma, and no amount of speaking will get it under control. If it is panic attack, I think it may be due to panicking over communication barrier (doctors won't make it easier on her).

It does not work that way with asthma. Asthma can not be under control just from speaking. Panick attack, maybe, but not asthma. Asthma need treatments like inhaler.
I have asthma, and no amount of speaking will get it under control. If it is panic attack, I think it may be due to panicking over communication barrier (doctors won't make it easier on her).

i agree.. breathing techniques will not cure asthma attack, but can help. I'm not argueing that the doctor was correct to make her speak, it probably only increased the panic level. I'm just try to explain what i think part of the doctors motives (right or wrong) may have been.

*EQL*

I never heard of breathing techniques will help asthma attacks other than how to take your inhaler properly... Because the the bronchial tubes is inflamed and need steroid (or other treatments) to settle it down.

Last edited:
Do I have the right to refuse to use spoken english and resort to only sign langauge and writing on paper even though I am fully capable of communicating verbally?

I've been looking all over trying to find the answers, but I have no clue.

lighthouse77 i belive according to the ada guidelines you indeed do have a right to refuse and use the form of communication you are most comfirtable with.

Do I have the right to refuse to use spoken english and resort to only sign langauge and writing on paper even though I am fully capable of communicating verbally?

I've been looking all over trying to find the answers, but I have no clue.

No. ADA only protects you if you are incapable. Since you already stated that you're capable of speaking, your rights are not covered. But do you REALLY speak well that hearing people can understand you without problems?

If you're talking about receiving information, you have every right to have it written or interpreted because you're deaf and you cannot get the full input that the hearing take for granted.

You simply tell them verbally that you want an interpreter or have them write down.

No. ADA only protects you if you are incapable. Since you already stated that you're capable of speaking, your rights are not covered. But do you REALLY speak well that hearing people can understand you without problems?

If you're talking about receiving information, you have every right to have it written or interpreted because you're deaf and you cannot get the full input that the hearing take for granted.

You simply tell them verbally that you want an interpreter or have them write down.

ugh. Just because some people are capable of speaking, but it doesn't mean they are capable pronouncing words that they know because they were never taught how to say it or heard it. In the result, these people tend to find substitute for that word and it usually lead to misunderstanding what the person is trying to say. Sometimes it get them in deeper trouble if it is for court. You have to be aware that in court, it is very easy to judge people by their actions and words. People do not need their deafness (and everything that goes with it) preventing them from getting a fair case.

Trying to figure out how to pronounce a word happened to me many times. Being able to freely express your thoughts is far more important.

MikeJ, if you are fully capable of speaking yet more comfortable with signing, then you do have that right. ADA doesn't only protect you if you're incapable. It outlines that if your preference is sign language, then that should be honored.

II-7.1000 Equally effective communication. A public entity must ensure that its communications with individuals with disabilities are as effective as communications with others. This obligation, however, does not require a public entity to take any action that it can demonstrate would result in a fundamental alteration in the nature of its services, programs, or activities, or in undue financial and administrative burdens.

For a Deaf person who's more comfortable signing than voicing, this would imply being given an interpreter. For an oral Deaf person, this would imply being given CART services, captions, etc.

II-7.1100 Primary consideration. When an auxiliary aid or service is required, the public entity must provide an opportunity for individuals with disabilities to request the auxiliary aids and services of their choice and must give primary consideration to the choice expressed by the individual. "Primary consideration" means that the public entity must honor the choice, unless it can demonstrate that another equally effective means of communication is available, or that use of the means chosen would result in a fundamental alteration in the service, program, or activity or in undue financial and administrative burdens.

Services of their choice: if that means using sign language and not voice, then that's what must be given primary consideration. It's not too hard to find an interpreter in most areas so it's not an unreasonable request.

Whether written communication or lipreading and voicing is as effective as signing is up to the Deaf person. If a Deaf person doesn't feel as comfortable voicing and lipreading, then it's not equally effective.

The bit on interpreters:

II-7.1200 Qualified interpreter. There are a number of sign language systems in use by individuals who use sign language. (The most common systems of sign language are American Sign Language and signed English.) Individuals who use a particular system may not communicate effectively through an interpreter who uses a different system. When an interpreter is required, therefore, the public entity should provide a qualified interpreter, that is, an interpreter who is able to sign to the individual who is deaf what is being said by the hearing person and who can voice to the hearing person what is being signed by the individual who is deaf. This communication must be conveyed effectively, accurately, and impartially, through the use of any necessary specialized vocabulary.

Source

Dear MikeJ

Surely its common sense. Once you have asked for a Sign Language Interpreter, they have to provide you with one, it's your legal right.

Over here in the UK if we request for Sign Language Interpreter they have to provide us with one as BSL is a recognized language.

Please keep in touch I am very interested to find what happens...

You can have an interpreter (ASL, etc.) with advance notice.

USA doesn't have a official language. It's not English, not Spanish, nor French (U.N. official language). I would say it is a right to not say, especially in a anything a specific language ( ironically, there's a "Code of Silence" policy at work), but it doesn't really get you anywhere if you compare "qualifications" about using English. Most businesses or managers don't know how to respond appropriately to someone who's HoH/deaf.

I thought about this awhile back. "Can I not wear my hearing aid, so as to force more written documentation". I didn't doubt so much as what I hear and process as I am able to recall arguments and pieces of information sometimes a lot better than many other people in the organization I work for. Sometimes I ask for clarification and try to stay caught up on policies and procedures. If something doesn't make sense, I ask. Basically the whole idea was to hold management more accountable for what they were saying because a week later, the direction of the policy would change. It's a very unstable state agency. I thought it (hearing impairment) could have contributed to this sort of state, but I realized more than it wasn't my hearing at all, it's just people covering their A**.

Back