Do any of you get the "you talk too fast" complaint?

Not me, but I do have a friend who signs too fast. :eek:

I recalled that when I was a freshman at RIT campus, my old friend signed so fast. He signed 30 words in one second which I thought that he signed 5 words. Ugh! He probably was a genius.

I think faster then I talk or write, so my thoughts don't get on paper or spoken out correctly.

One of the reason I like to work by myself but willing to work with a team.

I get the "you talk too fast" complaint from people who have never met a deaf person or have never heard one speak. I also sometimes get that from people I know very well and who are used to my form of speech.

As far as I can remember, I have never gotten that from family members for the simple reason that they're so used to the way I speak. Think of your oral speech as another language and people who are intimately familiar with your deaf speech (like family members) will be able to follow you no matter how fast you speak.

However, the caveat is that your deaf speech MUST be close enough to normal speech so that it isn't impossible for family members to follow you at any speed. Otherwise, it all becomes mumbling/gibberish. Speech therapy does help to some extent.

Back