DMV/Police Placard Handed Out At ASL Class

VA Bowbender

Reaction score
We were each given this card to keep in our vehicles incase we ever get pulled over or need help.
be9fdc14f07275ad6fd6b3285ec105fc.jpg

d3ff3484a4301c615259b70fbfa72e5d.jpg

I got a similar one here in Delaware. I had to apply for it with "proof" of my hearing status. I keep mine on my sun visor, but have not had to use it, thank goodness. :D

Last edited:
I think all police stations should have these signs for people that want one. It could save a life if a cop realize a person is not following their orders b/c they can't hear them.

Bowbender, are there other deaf folks taking this class you are? Is the teacher deaf? Who was responsible for generating that placard?

LoveBlue...I wonder if a deafie from another State asked to be sent one of those placards(VA and Delaware), do you think they'd comply?

LoveBlue...I wonder if a deafie from another State asked to be sent one of those placards(VA and Delaware), do you think they'd comply?

I suspect not, but you could try, I suppose. Can't hurt to ask. If they say no, then you might ask them to help you get your state "on board".

I have forgotten where it was from but several years ago I ran across something similar (but not for just a certain state) that you used your own computer printer to make. Suggestion was included to then laminate it and put it on visor in car.

Bowbender, are there other deaf folks taking this class you are? Is the teacher deaf? Who was responsible for generating that placard?

What if we asked our audi to call the police stations and see if they can get some placards for their offices?

What if we asked our audi to call the police stations and see if they can get some placards for their offices?

Well, I suppose it would have to be consistent with current law; however, why not make your own....of course, use the auto spell....:lol:

I had one similar to that, but more general, saying I was hard of hearing. Kept under the visor, left it there when we traded cars.

I wonder how much any of these cards would help if a cop is screaming at you from a bit of distance behind you, saying, "do not move or reach for anything", and you don't understand what he's saying, and start to reach for your placard, then the cop shoots you!!!?

I had one similar to that, but more general, saying I was hard of hearing. Kept under the visor, left it there when we traded cars.

I wonder how much any of these cards would help if a cop is screaming at you from a bit of distance behind you, saying, "do not move or reach for anything", and you don't understand what he's saying, and start to reach for your placard, then the cop shoots you!!!?

Well, keep your hands where they can be seen until he gets to your door and then tell him about or point to the placard......

Well, keep your hands where they can be seen until he gets to your door and then tell him about or point to the placard......

Yuh, sure, but, remember the cops are a bit overzealous today, they just start shooting right away. I'm being a bit facetious here what with the way things are going lately you never know.

Well, I suppose it would have to be consistent with current law; however, why not make your own....of course, use the auto spell....:lol:

I know I could not save my life with my spelling , I am dyslexia . :giggle:
I don't have a printer . It's good thing we do not wear body style hearing aids anymore , can you imagine what would happen to person reaching in under their coat to turn up the volume in a traffic stop ?

The teacher is deaf with CI's. There are other HoH student beside myself and some hearies that are just interested in ASL.
It was already posted where the card came from.

The teacher is deaf with CI's. There are other HoH student beside myself and some hearies that are just interested in ASL.
It was already posted where the card came from.

Oic, I hope the class really is ASL and that the grammar required by ASL is being taught.....

Oic, I hope the class really is ASL and that the grammar required by ASL is being taught.....

The class is very elementary and a beginners course. The class is being taught the very basic words. Whole phrases and sentences have barely been touched on. One must crawl before walking. Some students didn't even know the alphabet. The HoH students like myself were far more advanced than others.
My biggest hurtle is not having anyone to practice with. My wife WILL NOT make time even to study lifeprint.com with me. She still doesn't get it that in an environment with ambient noise I can't make out conversation. She also thinks that if I'm not in the room with her all she has to do is yell louder. (FRUSTRATED!!!!)

Last edited:
Back